3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unforgettable Moments.....If you have one....share it with us  (Read 2308 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Unforgettable Moments.....If you have one....share it with us
« on: February 04, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
About 3am last night at work I started thinking about some past bowhunts. Bamboo and I were talking on the phone earlier in the day already preparing new territory for this upcoming fall.

The one hunt that sticks out took place in a neighboring State...quite a ways from the truck. Pre rut was on and we were seeing some decent bucks.

As the afternoon approached, we decided to setup about 100 yds from 3 good scrapes and go through our calling routine. I placed some JV lure out 40 yds, 30 then I place the near empty jar 15 yds in front of us...on a log. Wind out of the west...After about 30 minutes of calling Mike catches movement near the scrape.

A nice 8 pt buck worked it over and with him a spike. A few doe calls, I grunted twice then turned and started breaking small limbs. BINGO...here he comes. Circling down wind he cautiously came in looking. At 25 yds I whispered to Mikey..."I'm gonna kill this guy...."

We were sitting side by side in deep depression. Five more yards and I would have a clear shot. The buck then stops...does a 90 degree and walks right in to the jar of JV on the log...I then hear "Don't move...I got him" and with that...the deer stretches out his neck and I see Mikey's arrow zip right through him.

The buck races back, stops and beds down less than 5 YARDS FROM MY NATURAL GROUND BLIND. The spike decides to walk by giving me a 25 yd slightly quartering shot. Mikey ducked and my arrow looked good for 20 yds...then a small limb jumped out and deflected my arrow over the deer's back and it rested about 8 ft high into a tree.

As we glassed the big buck, he put his down. We gave him an hour then eased up. We were about 10 yds away when he throws up his head and bolts out of there! He ran another 60 yds before dropping in his tracks. As darkness was closing in, we realized we're a helluva long way from the truck and the first 100 yd drag was UPHILL.

Half way to the truck...I was out of water. Told Mikey..."I'd pay $10 right now for 12 more ounces..." It took us well over an hour to get the deer out of the woods and loaded in my truck. Stopped at the first gas station on the way home and bought two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade. Should have seen the guy's face when I drank both of them before paying for them....    :laughing:  

I was one sore and tired bowhunter the next day...BUT...we were back up there chasing around those brown rodents. Please feel free to add your "Unforgettable Moments" to this thread....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unforgettable Moments.....If you have one....share it with us
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Great story Joe! So good to see a hunting story on the site  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Love it Joe. Thanks for Sharing. Like Ryan said it is nice to read a hunting story.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
10 AM Elk camp Cache Valley Ut. Our good friend and mentor Craig Burris comes into camp and announces "Adam (my son) has a bull down".
I still get emotional.................   :campfire:

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Many years ago, before he was old enough to hunt, I would take my youngest brother bowhunting with me.

We were sitting back to back on a large stump, and a yearling came in and completely circled us at less than 5 yds. I could feel him quivering hard against my back.  He saw me draw the recurve and track the deer for a bit, then let down.

The deer walked away and my brother was smiling from ear to ear, and shook for a bit. I was pretty excited too.

We still talk about it and it's one of my best hunting memories even though no arrow was released.

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Love the story.  Love to share one of mine since you offered.  One of my most memorable moments was turkey hunting with my then 11 year old daughter and another buddy.  We set up, called, and stomped around all day, did a lot of cow pie shooting and saw tons of turkeys, and picked up a boat load of sheds.  That afternoon we found a roosting area and set up quickly in very little cover before sundown.  After a little bit of calling, and getting quite cold, we saw about 30 turkeys in one group coming our way to roost.  There were more but I lost count and the other group was farther away.  It was crazy.  There was a white one in the second group that we saw but were not allowed to shoot.  Anyway, some Jakes started to come right to us. It was going to be really hard to draw because we only had cover behind us but what the heck right.  It's worked before.  They were going to get into my kiddos range for sure.  Just then a strutting Tom stepped out behind the Jakes.  The Jakes were now closing into range when she leans over to me and whispers "is that a big Tom".  I said yes and all by herself she turned into little miss trophy hunter saying "I get the Tom".  I just smiled.  She ended up passing on the Jakes, they turned off and that darn Tom came in and ran the Jakes off and never got into range of course.  I was stunned that she would want to wait for the Tom and pass on her first shot ever, but it was super exciting, and I just loved how she said "I get the Tom".  As it was just about dark some Jakes came well within her range and she asked if she could shoot.  I feel bad, but I told her no.  I was conservative and thought is was a little too dark and they were walking.  I definitely cost her a shot she could make. We eventually watched the groups fly to roost in the trees not too far away which was really neat.  It was priceless.  I have a really raw video here..  

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Joe, Your story is a breathe of fresh air!

I will add some of my own later.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Great story Joe. I have one that stick out in my mind.  I had gone into my spot well before light, my BW PCH in hand and my climber on my back.  I got to my tree, which had a large boulder about the size of a 2 man tent at its base, with a dead tree laying between the boulder and my tree.

I set my climber up but then realized that I didn't have my haul rope!! Well, this seemed like as good a time as any to ground hunt, and this boulder looked like it'd make an ok ground blind.  I sat on the dead tree and was tucked away behind the rock. I positioned myself for a shot to the left with the rock in front of me.

Just as legal shooting light crept in, I looked over to the knob about 60 yards in front, out at about 2 Oclock ..... and there was a pretty good 8 walking toward me.  The way he was walking would have put him quartering way from my on the left side of the rock at about 10 to 12 yards.  As he go closer, I lost sight of him as the rock hid his view.

I was getting ready for the shot to my left.  I kept hearing the crunching of the leaves on my left side, I look to my right and there he is walking 5 FEET from me......and he stops!!!! I'm staring through his 100" rack....I can see the pours in his nose as he sniffs around. I was froze...my heart was pounding....I'm sure that the buck could hear me breathing!!  There was no way that I could switch for a shot to my right.  

The buck stood there for what seemed to be an hour, although in reality it was probably only 20 to 30 second. He realized that something was just not quite right, and stiff legged it out of there. I wasn't able to take that buck, but I didn't care...it was worth every heart pounding second!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Great hunt re-cap Joe. Love a good hunting story of special hunts. I'll add one later if you don't mind?   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I hope a lot more guys share their hunts on this thread...I got a bunch but will hold off for a while....here at work...   :eek:    :nono:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I'll share one Joe.

This hunt happened my Freshman year of college on November 22, 2009. It was probably one of the coldest November mornings I have ever hunted the wind was howling and it was probably in the mid 20s. My dad offered to let me hunt a spot in his climber and he told me he would be over the ridge about 150 yds behind me.

After sitting until about 11 am I was about to start climbing down because I was nearly frozen when all of a sudden a buck comes running from my left to my right and then takes a hard turn behind my tree and stops at about 12 yards. I nocked an arrow as quick as a could and drilled him right in the ponch! He takes off like a maniac in the same direction as my father.

By this time I'm pretty rattled so I am frantically trying to call dad and tell him what happened but he is not answering. Finally about 15 minutes later he calls me and says your not going to believe what happend, he says "I just shot a giant, a buck came running in with an arrow sticking out of its ponch and I drew on him then he beds down right in front of me, when out of the holler a bruiser sees this smaller buck and charges up the hill looking for a a fight. I asked him where he hit the deer and he states that he believes the shot was good, but the other buck with the arrow (my buck) took off.

After finally calming down and assessing the situation we decided to take up the trail of his buck. So we got my grandpa and started tracking, the blood was very thin for nearly two hundred yards when i look up the next hillside and see a buck lying dead. I starting going crazy yelling theres your buck dad there he is! But as we approach i realize this buck was actually my deer because the arrow is still in his ponch!! talk about one excited hunter! this was my first trad deer I was ecstatic.

After we got my deer back to the house we started looking for dads buck. But after searching for blood for hours we came to the conclusion that dad had either only grazed the buck or the shot was not fatal. Unfortunately dads giant was never recovered. However we did get some trail pics of the buck that he believes it was. And it was truly a magnificent deer but after that season the deer was never seen again.

This hunt is by far the most memorable so far in my life, it could have only been better had we found dad's deer as well. But I still think it will be hard to beat.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Was hunting in north west Ontario with my brother in law . The guide had taken us many miles out in a power boat and we changed to a canoe and were floating in a beaver pond .
 My brother in law said " Look " while pointing to the sky . A bald eagle was soaring down towards us and snatched a nice trout from the water just a few feet from us . That was a real WOW moment .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
It was 2006 in Colorado. I was hunting with two good friends. I had a kidney stone "attack" at about 4:30AM on the first morning in the mountains. My friends took me too the ER -- 3 times before emergency surgery removed the stone (on day 3).  They gave up valuable hunting time taking me to and from the FT. Collins Regional Hospital which was 90 miles away.

I was only able to hunt every other day after the surgery. On the next to the last day of the 9-day hunt myself and buddy Jim arrived at a bench we would hunt that morning. We heard an elk bugle. We agreed Jim would stay on the bench at the same contour of the bull. I would go higher in case he moved that direction.

Less than 45 minutes later I heard a whoop!! from down on the bench.  When I moved to a position where I could see down the bench I saw my buddy with both hands raised. He had killed the 280 PY 5 point less than 30 minutes after day light. My other buddy killed a cow.

I was very happy  these great friends took home these elk.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
It was one of those years with a pore mast crop and the doe numbers were down due to that and the local coyote population. Refusing to kill any of my does, I kept hunting hard for a buck but wasn't connecting. I found an area that had been recently visited by a buck, and so I set up in the area in hopes of spotting him. After the second morning with nothing to show for it, I headed home with plans to try a different location.
        As I was walking toward home threw the open woods, I spotted a deer at about 70 yrds ahead of me. I stood still for a moment and realized it was a doe with a yearling. Behind the two deer was a transition area with a little brush, briers and honeysuckle. The deer were browsing and seemed quite relaxed as they feed along the transition. With no intention of shooting either of these deer, I decided to see how close i could sneak up on them threw the open woods. I dropped slowly to the ground and crept on my hands and knees as I watched and moved like a cat, moving only when the deer were turned or looking away. For forty five minutes I played cat, only advancing when the opportunity arose.
   Finally at about 25 yrds, the small deer laid down and momma grazed off to it's right somewhere behind the sparse bushes. I could see that the yearling had a dark chest and what appeared to be the starting of antlers bumping under the hair on it's head. I was certain enough, that as the deer arose to graze, I got to a kneeling position and shot for the crease behind the front leg. I watched as the arrow hit it's mark and the deer ran off in the direction i was headed. The Zwickey Eskimo had cut and smashed threw the front leg and came to rest nicely on the other side of the heart. I had finally done it: A successful spot and stalk in the open woods and a nice shot at 22 yrds. Now that's a trophy buck!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline CRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the stories. I'll add one. I started taking my sons with me when they were young. One evening, sitting in a ground blind with my youngest son who was four years old, watched a buck and two does head our way. My son was eating on a snack that I had brought along for him,when the deer headed our way, I told him deer were coming and he asked me, There not going to eat my snack? The deer came close enough for me to take a shot at the buck, well I missed, to make matters worse all I heard from my son was "You missed". I looked down at him and he wasn't even looking at the deer, he was concentrating on his snack!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »
Standing on the corner of a high grass field just off an old logging road in a cluster of trees, I found myself watching closely all around on a cold November morning. I could see my breath in the cold air every time I exhaled.

After standing for a while, I spot several does walking directly toward where I was perfectly concealed by this little group of trees. The does came into my area browsing on leaves and twigs. There were actually three of them total. They worked in closer and closer until one of them was munching on a sapling tree leaf not more than 4-5 yards away from the spot I was hidden. I could hear her chewing!

With 3 sets of eyes pointed in my direction and being on the ground, I was pinned down where I stood. I couldn't move and none of them were in quite the right position for a shot anyway. After maybe 5 minutes of this, I watch one doe squat to urinate and I though silently, "I hope she is in estrous".

The does finally feed past my location and pick up a bit of my scent. They trot off into the woods, but don't blow or snort. By this time it is still only 9 am and the morning is very crisp yet. After about 5-10 minutes following the does departure, I hear a great racket just down in the small ravine out of my line of sight. Then a really handsome and thick bodied 8 point buck comes up over a small ridge into view! He is an older buck with a solid set of antlers on his head. A sight to behold for sure!

I was initially shocked that it was a deer after all the noise I  heard. Before seeing him, I had wondered if a local farmers pig had gotten loose with all the grunting and general chaos he had been creating in an otherwise silent woods. The doe had been in season and he followed every last step she made when she was in the general area of my ambush site. Eventually he offered me a severe(almost straight away) quartering shot. I drew on him and had to let down because of the bad angle.

He faced straight away from me for a while at about 5 yards and then turned quickly and came right to the other side of the tree I was standing behind. There we were in the cold morning air. This buck was only 4-5 feet away just on the other side of the tree. He couldn't smell me since the wind was perfectly from him to me. When I say he was that close it is no exaggeration. I am on one side of the tree and he is standing there looking around just on the other side of it. Every time the buck would breath out, the cloud from his breath would drift within inches of my face. He stood there for what seemed to be years, but was only probably a minute.

Eventually, he started to move forward and went back to the job of finding the does that had passed by me earlier. He too eventually worked behind me and wound up getting some of my scent. That buck trotted off in the same direction of the does and out of my field of view. He never offered me a better angle than the severe quartering shot and I had to watch him slip away.

I will always have the memory of him standing only feet away and watching his breath rise right in front of my face through the cold air. It may be better than any "trophy" I have. What a morning.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
This goes back many years but I remember it like it was yesterday.   Back when I was courting my wife my eventual father-in-law learned I was a hunter and invited me to hunt some land he had been given permission to hunt.  I agreed to meet him at his house well before sunrise and we would make the 20 minute drive to the farm.
It was a cold drizzly November morning, the damp air chilled you to the bone.   When we arrived my father-in-law showed me the general lay of the land, and areas where he had seen deer in the past.  After a brief strategy session I decided to sit on the South end of the property where the corn butted up to a thin strip of woods that ran parallel with a small creek.   Where the field and woods met it sloped fairly steeply down 10-12 feet to a flat creek bottom.  From the bottom of the slope it was 50-60 yards across the flat to the edge of the creek.  I decided to set up on the ground just a few yards into the woods in a decent make-shift ground blind.  I noticed a couple scrapes along the edge of the field so I was pretty happy with my set-up, figuring I had shots if a deer came along the edge of the field or near the bottom of the slope in the flat.   It wasn’t long and I hear the unmistakably sound of a grunt,  I look towards the creek and see a nice buck cruising the edge of the creek on my side.  I gave a few grunts, but he was on a mission and never even looked up.   About 20 minutes later I spot 2 more nice bucks moving in the same direction as the first buck on the far side of the creek.   At this point I decide I’m in the wrong spot, I need to get down near the edge of the creek so I can get a shot regardless of what side of the creek they were on.    So I sneak down across the flat and set up next to a huge Sycamore tree.  
I’m not in my new spot 10 minutes and I notice a brute of a buck walking the edge of the corn field at the top of the slope.   This baby was the type of deer that you dream about - massive shoulders and thick neck, big, broad Roman nose and a huge chocolate brown, webbed 10-12 point rack.  I knew it was a dandy the first second I saw it.   But of course I had just moved from the location the buck would soon be passing within 10 yds. of. I only spent a second scolding myself for not staying put and focused on trying to get this stud to come down the slope and across the flat into my shooting range.  I let out a soft grunt, he immediately stopped, looked my way and began surveying the scene to identify where the sound came from.  There was a fair amount of brambles, brush and tall nettles in the flat between the buck and myself, so I was well concealed.   After what seemed like an eternity, he continued walking down the edge of the field.  I quickly let out another slightly louder grunt.  This time he spun and took about 4-5 steps down the slope.   I stayed frozen, so as not to give away my location and to see what his next move was.   After not seeing the source of the grunt he again began to walk away, back up the slope.   This same scenario played out another couple times.  On the last time he became very cautious and you could tell he was thinking something was not right.   So he walked back up the slope and instead of continuing his course along the edge of the field he kept going North straight away from me across the corn stubble.   I grunted again, but he was having no more of that and never broke stride.   At that point I figured I might as well go for broke, I grabbed my rattling horns and smashed them together and gave them a quick, hard rattle.   I stood with the horns in my hands watching to see if he would respond.   Well, respond would be a major understatement.  The second I hit the horns, he spun 180,came leaping down the slope, crashing through the brush and weeds, bounding out 4-5 yards in front me.  As he was making his charge, I was on one knee scrambling to get rid of the horns and grab my bow to get ready for a possible shot.   I barely had the bow in my hand and he was directly in front of me, steam and snot rolling out of his nose and fire in his eyes.   We were so close, I could make out every detail of his face.   There we were in a stand-off staring at each other.  It felt like forever, but within a few seconds he realized I wasn’t what he came for and was ready to bolt.   I quickly made a futile attempt to quickly raise my bow and snap off a shot.   I barely started to move my arm and he was gone.  
I sat there shaking like a leaf from the adrenaline rush.   After a couple hours I met my father-in law back at the truck and went over the whole story with him with the enthusiasm of a little excited kid.   He just smiled.
This location would provide me several more awesome encounters over the next few years – Thanks, Dad.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Sorry double post
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I have many but. When my daughter was about 11  I took her out for a evening post for deer  she. Has been in the woods with me  since a baby and I would teach her bird and deer calls . Well we got settled in and I said ok. Shan. Do your fawn call  . She started bleating  and we heard something running toward us , and a doe came up to us not 8yrds away  man Shannon's. eyes were popping out  !  She said dad that was cool ! A said yes it sure was
Dan Breen

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Opening weekend a few year back, a 5x5 Colorado bull elk stood-up from his bed and walked up to me from 100 yards out and stopped broadside in front me at 7 yards for 4 minutes, while I stood in open timber, with nothing between us.  When our eyes met he sensed the predator in me and bolted.

I never shot because I had a mule deer tag and a my brother held the elk permit.  

Five minutes after he ran off, his companion bull, of equal size, walked up to within 15 yards of me and did the same thing.  

I have yet to shoot an elk.

Kris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©