3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 2013 UT Elk Hunt (lots of pics)  (Read 1695 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 2013 UT Elk Hunt (lots of pics)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Good tale Brother and very good pics.RC

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
The next morning I headed up the same canyon, but this time there was absolute silence. So I crossed the canyon and went a different direction. About mid morning I flushed a few blue grouse. Oh yea!! Next to a screaming bull elk at 15 yards, I don't know too many elk hunters who don't get fired up about grouse.

I watched where the bird lit and snuck up to the tree. There it was, sitting in a pine 20 yards away, but at least 40 feet up. Decision time again. Well there was none. Out comes the stump shooting, grouse arrow. I knew my arrow would most likely soar down the hill. I was shooting a little up toward the bird. I pick a spot, hit full draw, and watch my arrow smack the bird out of the tree and sail down the mountain. YES!! Until the bird hits the ground, flops a couple times, then flys off. All elk hunters who have done this know the feeling. Make a perfect shot and watch dinner fly off!!

I marked where my arrow went and trudged on down to try to find it. And find it I did. As I sat there thinking back about the shot, I could hear some clucking up the hill from where I'd just been. No way was I going to pass up another shot. I worked my way back up to the noise and through some searching found another bird in a tree. This shot was going to be a bit more difficult. It was going to be like shooting at a mtn lion, almost straight up.

I wait for the bird to turn directly away from me, draw, pick a spot, hit the clicker and again watch a perfect arrow blow through another bird. 2 for 2! My elation was short lived however as this one did the same as the last ans soared on down the hill. I again found my arrow, and sulked back to camp. Not only didn't I find any elk, I made two great shots and had nothing to show for my efforts!

And to top it off it started raining hard, again! This was getting old!! I headed back to town to talk to Matt. We were going to hunt together the last week. He had been real close to getting a shot at a bull, but the wind messed him up too. But a friend of his had turned him onto a honey hole. We decided to hunt there the final five days. And what a honey hole it turned out to be...
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
A few more trail cam pics  :)

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
:campfire:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
Ah man. You're almost as mean as I when it comes to telling an elk story sloooooowly.  :biglaugh:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your great adventure with us Ryan!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks for holding on to this story until now.
Perfect timing as I was just reading about limb length, etc., etc.,..and then find a NEW hunting story!
Great pics and telling of the tale. Really appreciate it.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Dang it!  I'm home in a snowstorm in MO!  We need an ending to our adventure.

Thanks for sharing!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
:campfire:    :)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Down to the last five days. This is what I've trained for and worked so hard for. Time to get it done!!

Monday we (Matt and I) are in a new spot. And there are elk singing all over. The clouds are blowing around and low and behold the wind is swirling. We glassed several bulls, but there was no way to get on them. We then head over to a canyon that is supposed to hold some wallows. We find them, but nothing has been on them for awhile. After and uneventful day, we head back to camp. I even breifly suggest we find another spot. But luckily, Matt tells me to have some patience. He says there are a lot of elk in here, it's just a slow day.

So the next morning we haed in under the cover of darkness and hear elk screaming all around us. As we are working our way towards the wallows we hear splashing. Oh man!! We are a couple hundred yards away when we look up on the opposite hillside any see 9 bulls feeding. Now, I'm no elk expert but 9 bulls feeding together on Sept 9? Weird! One was a stud 350ish with a few 320ish and the rest three year old bulls. The big one was below the others scraeming his head off. I tell Matt to head towards him, I'll keep him bugling, snaek up to him and kill him.

Well the plan worked to perfection up until Matt was sneaking into range when his grunt tube slides across his body and thumps his bow hard! The bull looked up, started nosing around and moved up the mountain. Of course the winds were swirling!!

Matt decides to head over to another hill where we'd watched a couple bulls feed and could hear some bugling. I tell him I'm going to sit tight then work up to where the bulls were feeding that morning. he said his buddy who showed us the honey hole was gonna hook up with us later that evening and glass. We wish each other luck and move off.

I sit until mid afternoon then make my way up towards where we saw the bulls last. At around 4 a bugle comes from down the side where the bulls went, then another, much closer. In front of me a few hundred yards. The wind is marginal at best. There had been small showers moving in and out all day. But with the way the weather had been, I just had to try.

I ease on down the top of the ridge. The quakies with there gentle leaves seemingly putting me into a trance. The only thing snapping me out of it is the intermittent bugles from the bull I know is in front of me somewhere.

And suddenly, he is. Like a ghost he materializes out of the quakies not 20 yards away. How I got so close without him knowing, or me seeing him is beyond me. I slowly reach down and nock an arrow.

This bull is BIG!! The widest bull I've seen and h-e-a-v-y!! A monster 6! He is quartering to me through a couple quakies. he's feeding. He hasn't seen me. He slowly feeds and takes a couple more steps. I see his head lift with that enormous rack, how he could hold up all that bone, simply amazing! But thenI see his nostrils flare, his eyes widen, oh no... the wind hits my neck again. The bull whirls and takes my hopes, dreams and seemingly my breath with him.

I'm heart broken. I literally have to fight the tears back. All that work, undone by a puff of breeze.

That's elk hunting, but that's the part I hate! I made my way back to meet up with Matt and the boys. We head over the ridge and glass another great bull. Matt and I race down and back up to try to cut the elk off, but to no avail. It was a long walk back to camp in the cold, wet, dark that night.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
I've got to go pick up my son from basketball, but I will try to wrap this up tonight. If not it'll be in the morning. Patience folks  :)

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
I am pretty sure it was a story like this that originally got me hooked on Tradgang! I think it was one of Randy's elk hunts and dad and I had just finished hunting elk. Awesome story Steadman.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Great story, you have me hooked!  :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Great Story and Pictures Ryan.  I am loving this!!!!

And YES that is a Morel Mushroom!  Most delicious with fresh grouse   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Ah man! We left it. Thought it was, but it's a long ways from the road.

So three days left of the hunt. Wednesday woke up to the sound of thunder and pouring rain. I mean a down pour. We got into the canyon late. But there wasn't much of anything moving. We did finally hear a bull and went after him. I got Matt into him but he couldn't quite get a shot. That afternoon the weather broke and we enjoyed some stump shooting, and a hot meal.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Great story and pics Ryan .... don't you just LOVE hunt'n elk !! The mountain winds can drive you crazy ....

:campfire:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Awesome!  I'm thinking that was my headless elk target!  Lol

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
That evening we tried to work on a couple different bulls but with no luck. You would think with all these bulls running around, any cow call would cause at least one to investigate. I could get bulls to bugle at me but seldom come investigate.

So two days left. Thursday we make a play on a bull that we'd worked on earlier in the week. This time though I stayed on the hill and bugled while Matt slipped in on him. It almost worked. Matt had him, a big 6 in the 340 range at 20 yards broadside. Too bad there was a cow at 15 between them. So close.

We hook up that afternoon, I tell him I'm headed up to where we hadn't been. It was closer to camp and I'd seen some spikes there earlier. We wished each other luck, and he gives me a sly grin. I worked my way up towards the top. I then got the wind right, and got into a transition zone. Oh it felt elky! Pines and quakies mixed with grass everywhere. I decided what the heck, I'd try calling. I tried some soft cow calls and waited. Thirty minutes later another round.

As I finish the last call I hear a branch break below me. I have an arrow nocked and start looking. I see a head moving towards me, wait it's way to close to the ground to be an elk, then out of the shadows a bear pops out. He's about 30 yards away, but I have the wind. He sits there for a minute the swings to my right out of sight. Well that was cool, until I see him 20 yards away. Hmmmmm.... He stops and sits down and starts testing the wind. I decide that I didn't like the situation and start yelling at the bear to let him know I wasn't an elk. I yell a few times and throw a big stick to make some noise. His response wasn't exactly what I was looking for. He raised up, then dropped down on all fours and started popping his teeth and swinging his head. Not good!! Not good at all!

Now a lot of thoughts went flashing through my mind, but I'd been in a similar situation a few years earlier. I stayed calm, grabbed a large stick and threw it at the bear. The bear jumped back, and looked at me, I nocked my broadhead again and told him if he pulled that crap again, I'd proceed to put that arrow under his chin. He then decided I wasn't worth the trouble and sauntered off. I immediatley back tracked and made a wide circle. I had no intention of ever shooting the bear unless he would have made another move towards me.

So after that I kept working my way along the ridge through the quakies. I really wasn't expecting much. But as I entered a small opening all hell broke lose. After what had transpired only an hour earlier my heart was at max. Luckily it was a covey od ruffed grouse. I soon had a new target, and when a small ruffed stopped 25 yards away I zipped a simmons right through him. This time there was no flying off   :)  

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Yes it was Brad. Thanks!! Great idea!

So with in the hour I'd made another great shot!
There was about an hour of light left so after putting the grouse in my pack I continued towards camp.

I followed a very worn sheep trail through the jungle of aspens. I was going slow for about a half hour, during one of my stop and look after taking a few steps, there was a 4 point bull staring at me from 20 yards away! Seriously!?!

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks!  This is great!
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©