3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A 2013 UT Elk Hunt (lots of pics)  (Read 1694 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A 2013 UT Elk Hunt (lots of pics)
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
So I'm really not trying to Lamb this up but my computer is giving me fits and there's no way I'm going to try to type the rest out on my phone. I'll try to finish this up tonight
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
This story is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!  :thumbsup:  

Steve

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Great story.. and pics .. patiently waiting for the rest of the story.    :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
no,  youre TOTALLY trying to Lamb this up lmao!!!   kidding, but enjoying it.
is it September yet??

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
This story is absolutely awesome Ryan. Thanks for taking the time to put this all together and share with us. Your timing to post this is perfect.
Shoot Straight

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
Good story so far mate... Reminds me of my time hunting elk in CO a few years back. Thanks for the journey and I'm looking forward to how the rest of the hunt pans out mate.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
I agree..great timing!  Thanks for keeping this in your back pocket...it's like a nice tax refund when you were expecting nothing.   Looking forward to the rest.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
Looking forward to the rest.  Thanks for taking the time to snap some photos during the hunt and scouting.  It makes for a much more enjoyable story.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
:coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:  and still waiting!   :nono:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Yep. Sitting here hitting refresh.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I slowly ease an arrow out of my quiver and slip it on my string. All the while I'm silently praying the bull doesn't bolt. But bolt he does, and for a fleeting moment I thought I was done.

But as the bull takes off I notice movement from behind some quakies behind where the 4 point had stood. It was another bull! I could make out parts of his rack. He had watched his buddy bail out but had no clue I was there!

I studied how the bull was facing and there, a gap between the quakies. I could see ribs and his elbow. It was like the bull was saying, "put your arrow through the gap and I'm yours." I tried to study the bulls body language to see if he was tense or relaxed. He put his head back down and started feeding again, apparently thinking his little buddy had lost it and ran off for no good reason. As he put his head down I could see he was a nice 6 point in the upper 290 to 300, not that I even cared at that point!

What to do. Do I wait for him to come out into the clear? Try a shot that I know I can make? Just then that wonderful wind that was as predictable as the elk themselves, started to swirl. I knew I'd better try. I drew the string back and tried to focus on the spot.

At the release of the arrow I watched as a beautiful chartruese ball spun towards it's intended target, when out of nowhere a 4" quakie stepped in front of my arrow. CRACK!! The arrow buried into the side of the white tree. By this time the bull had caught a whiff of the smelly predator and now with a crack like a rifle shot not 5 yards wawy, he'd had enough and ran off to find his smaller, but wiser buddy.

I was deflated, physically, emotionally, I slowly walked down and dug my arrow out of the quakie. One inch, only one inch to the right and my arrow would have buried into the bulls side. Oh the joys of elk hunting!

As I met Matt back at camp and retold the afternoons events. He smiled and told me he had a feeling I was going to connect that afternoon, thus the sly grin. I was bummed to have let him down. It was a long night replaying the shot in my mind, overe, and over.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
The final day of the hunt.

A friend of ours, Robby, came up to camp to spend the last day with us, and to hopefully pack out some meat. We split up and went to different ridges. I watched a monster 5 point work his way across an opening with a few cows. He was a dream bull, super heavy dark brown antlers with 5 long ivory tipped points. I could hear the bull that Matt had chased a few nights earlier bugling in a little side canyon. I worked my way in, slowly closing the distance. When I could hear him bugle from 200 yards out I decided to try to get under his skin.

I started bugling and cow calling. He immidiatley answered! And so the chess match began, each of us making our move, sounding our threats. He was getting closer. Then a tan body 60 yards up the hill. A cow, followed by a small raghorn. The big bull was pushing his herd towards me. He screamed again from 80 yards away. I had an arrow nocked, hoping that he would work below his herd and give me a last second shot.

But just as that thought entered my head, the wind hit the back of my neck and just as fast as it had started, it ended.

The afternoon was spent under a tree waiting out a full on monsoon! It rained for 6-7 hours.

When the weather finally let up I had a couple hours to find an elk. I hiked/ran/slid through the mud. But the elk had quiot talking, right up until just before dark. I called a few times at a couple of bulls, hoping against hope that a miracle would happen. That all of my hard work would pay off. But it wasn't meant to be. I watched the light drain from the sky while listening to bulls bugling in the distance. It was a hutn I will never forget. One that I will probably not experience in UT for at least 20 more years, if ever.

I left it all on the mountain. I stacked my will, my body, and to some extent my faith against one of the most noble animals to ever walk the earth. And again I came out on the short end, or did I? I was able to spend 13 days hunting elk this past year. I saw some world class animals and had three legitimate chances at bulls. I truly believe if not for the weather this year I would have punched my tag. It rained every day of my hunt. I joked to Matt that now we know what it was like to hunt Alaska  :)

The rain wasn't the bad part, it was the wind. I've hunted the west my entire life and never hunted in such squirelly winds as I did this year. There was only one time I felt the wind would hold true, and it did. Hindsight being what it is I should have been much more aggressive on that bull.

I'd like to thank Matt, one of the best hunting partners a guy could have. He pushed me during the off season like I've never been pushed. Because of that I was more physically prepared than ever before. Thanks Matt!!

It amazes, and sometimes really bothers me when less experienced elk hunters have elk basically run them over, or fall into their laps. But I've learned to deal with that. Everyone seems to have an animal that eludes them consistantly, and mine is the elk. I'm coming to grips with it  :)
I hope to have another story this year as my Dad, some great friends, and myself should draw a Wyoming elk tag. If we do, you can bet I'll be running up and down those mountains, as well as those here locally, in search of that bull or cow who selflessly jumps in front of my arrow. Until then, it's time to start running hard, climbing hills, and getting ready for this fall, it's only a few months away   :bigsmyl:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
A little about my equipment. I wore first lite and kuiu wool, with a KUIU vest and pants for the entire hunt. I have found a system that works for me. Layering. It can be 20 and snow to 85 degrees during these hunts. I carry a couple more layers and I am golden. I also used KUIU gaiters. They were like wearing knee high waders and were worth their weight in gold this year. I also had a KUIU pack that worked well for me while hunting. No I'm not independently wealthy, I just look for good deals online for gear and buy used.

I used Meindels this year, but prior to the huntmy feet actually grew. That's my only explanation for getting the blisters. I wore those same boots a year before folowing South Cox on his mule deer hunt through sheep country and never had a problem?

The two bows I used were a longbow that I built, and my Stalker coyote that's 55#@29", I used CE 250 with 200 grain simmons and eclipse werewovles. This was my first year hunting with carbon, as I usually hunt with wood. But with all the rain we had, I didn't want any doubt in my equipment.

My equipment performed flawlessly, even if I didn't. Thanks for tagging along. I encourage everyone else to write their hunting stories, successful or not, that's what this site was originally for and it makes the winter go by a lot better!!

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks for taking us along, I thoroughly enjoyed it!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
What a fantastic series of hunts!  thanks for sharing!  Maybe someday I'll be able to enjoy a hunt in the west.  And maybe I can be one of those lucky fool novices.  I need a fools gold animal, since the deer and moose here in Maine constantly avoid me.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Love the story brother. Your the man I know what you put into this from what I can tell you got a lot out of it even though not elk came home. I cannot even beging to tell you how much I resect you because of that.

I will find something with more MOJO to send you for the next one    :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
yep, phenomenal story!  I think most of us have that one animal that for some reason were just snakebit on. mine of all things happens to be whitetail deer, but I finally got a decent one this year, so maybe im past it.

and, hopefully your next elk hunt you get past yours as well.
is it September yet??

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Randy I had more than enough mojo from you brother  :)

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
What a great adventure.  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I've been waiting for this! Thanks for taking us along it's curing the winter blues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©