3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Stump Shooting Question  (Read 510 times)

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
A Stump Shooting Question
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Being relatively new to archery, my main experience has been shooting Field round matches at varying known distances as well as 3D matches at varying unknown distances.  I've also shot a few 300 rounds, and done some deer hunting this past year, although I did not get one this last season.

My question is about stump shooting... I've seen a lot of photographs of arrows stuck in stumps from threads where people talk about walking in the woods and stump shooting, and I'm wondering how they are not destroying their arrows?  Is there a special tip that one uses to minimize penetration?  Is breaking arrows and or losing tips in the field just part of the deal?  Isn't it quite difficult to pull these arrows out of wood stumps?

Sorry for such a simplistic question, but with the cost of good carbon arrows, I was just wondering how people go about it.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Stump Shooting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Not a bad question.  We use either a blunted head or a judo point, and I try to shoot at a stump that's soft and punky, it absorbs the shock. Once in awhile, I'll misjudge a stump, and it'll be more solid than I'd like.   :banghead:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
If the stumps are rotten and soft a field tip will work. Most use some type of blunt. Even a steel blunt will stick into a rotted stump without harming the shaft. Where I live we have a lot of cedar stumps and they don't rot so I like a rubber blunt which will bounce off and usually the arrow survives. But the short answer is some arrows won't make it. That's why most will use old or damaged arrows for stumping. I like hardwood like poplar or hickory if I can get it.
Member NCBA

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks, Sean!  I've read references to blunt heads and judo points, but I thought those were mainly for small game hunting.

Thanks!
Anthony

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
Duncan, thank you too.  That's good info.

It's so dry here in Southern California, that most stumps I've seen tend to be pretty hard.  Not enough rain to get much decomposition going!

Offline MKane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
stump shooting can refer to shooting at many things while roving thru the woods. stumps,clumps of grass or leaves,pinecones.judo tips can help keep arrows from burrowing under grass or leaves.blunts can also be used.Shooting at rotten stumps helps but eventually you are going to lose some arrows.The fun and realistic practice are well worth it.
Marty Kane

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
What Marty said!!  I shoot at leaves, patches of sunlight, blades of grass, anything that catches my eye.  On my property, I even put out some flags use to mark utility lines.  I usually use a judo.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Stumps where I shoot are too hard.
My roving includes some cloth bags in different shaped that I stuff full of plastic grocery bags. These are set around a walking coarse.

A plastic soda bottle stuffed with bags makes a good target that you can carry along and toss out when no natural targets present themselves.
Another is a tennis ball.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
I stump shoot just about every morning, and repair (or replace) arrows just about every night.  I use a judo head for soft targets, pine cones and the like, and where the arrow might otherwise get lost in grass.  I use a plastic or rubber blunt when I think the arrow might impact something hard.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I bust wood arrows all the time.  Gives me something to do this time of year making more.

Here are three dozen Douglas fir (I hand taper the last 12" down to 5/16") that may not make it to next year.  Half a dozen will get judo points, a dozen get Ace Hex blunts, a dozen get field points (for targets) and the last six get plain blunts.  As I break them I swap off field points for whatever was broken or lost.

It is more than worth it.  

On the other hand - I have four arrows left from a dozen I bought from Howard Hill Archery in 1982 that have been through stump shoots and bunny hunts annually since then.  Some stumps are soft and some arrows lead a charmed life.  I've gone days with 60 shots on one wood shaft that I still could put back in the quiver.  And then there are the days when six get shattered.

I used to shoot PPC and figure 120 rounds of .38 Special, even reloaded, plus entry fee was going to blow $35 a day.  That's six well-made arrows . . . and you can usually find and re-use the points.  I even salvage fletching occasionally.  

Neck, if you look at what som,e folks blow on cigarattes wasting a dozen arrows a month instead would be a huge savings.

Have a stink-pot boat?  A dozen custom arrows is one day of fuel on the lake.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Welcome   :campfire:
  Like McDave mentioned I use judos also and try to shoot at pine cones and clumps of grass.
 Welcome again
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
A leaf on the hill side, Ant hills, soft stumps and trash are all open game!Don't forget to put the trash in your game bag!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
We end up shooting a lot of cow pies when we "stump" out on the plains as well as mole hills. In the mountainsflowers, small ppine trees or just a hole in a bush to shoot through. It's all stumping and it's all funner than any other kind of non hunting shooting. Just pick an arrow safe spot and hit it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Major Boothroyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
Stumpkiller, those are beautiful arrows!  You guys all have me fired up to get some appropriate blunts & Judos and get out there to have some fun.  I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun and great practice for hunting season!

Thanks for the welcome, Richie!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
I just read a message from a guy I know who says he goes "trash" shooting in the spring when the spring floods have subsided.  He carries a bag, shoots trash he sees, and puts in the bag as he retrieves his arrow.  Plenty of targets, various sizes and distances, plus he helps cleanup the environment.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowmofo:
A leaf on the hill side, Ant hills, soft stumps and trash are all open game!Don't forget to put the trash in your game bag!
Stay away from any hills if you have fire ants on your area.  Sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised...

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I like stump shooting almost as much as hunting, and I do it a lot.  

I shoot aluminum arrows, usually with a judo kondor (when shooting in grassy areas), or some other blunt.  I choose my targets wisely, and if I think a stump may be too hard, I pass it up. Rather, I choose"soft targets", like flowers or leaves or dirt clods.  I rarely destroy or even bend arrows.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I just started a new batch of poplar shafts and I plan to borrow a page out of Stumpkiller's play book by beautifying them up with my Sharpies and paint pens. Just got some steel blunts in today. Maybe I can post the finished product later this week.
Member NCBA

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:

Originally posted by bowmofo:
Stay away from any hills if you have fire ants on your area.  Sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised... [/b]
X2 on that!!!
Member NCBA

Offline Bart S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
If you use carbons, try using long 100g brass inserts. These with judos or blunts makes a pretty solid arrow. Probably have to move up a spine though
64" TD Blacktail Elite, 60# @ 29"
64" Liberty longbow, 63# @ 29"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©