3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Auction question  (Read 387 times)

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Auction question
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey guys.  I've been studying on something good to donate for the St. Jude's auction this time.  I've been making some lamps that people have really liked so I thought I'd donate one of them.

Since y'all are the ones who will be buying I figured I'd ask what y'all would rather have. Would you rather have a stick of cedar like in the pic or would an old bow riser interest y'all more for the center post?

I know this isn't really "trad" related so I do apologize.  But if most would prefer a riser that will take me some time to find a junk one and to find some wood for the base to match. I'm just bored at the moment and thinking ahead.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Auction question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Think those are great! An old riser would be cool too though.

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Really neat. Riser would be a hit I'm sure.
Nice work.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
Just noticed the shade is crooked in both pics lol. That's what I get for not proof reading when I have the wife upload pics for me.

I won't be able to put a euro or horns that nice around one (those belonged to customers). But I've got a few nice sheds I can use on the donated one.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I'm trying to picture the bow riser and just don't think it would hold a candle to the natural posts you used in the examples. Those are absolutely beautiful!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I'd be willing to bid on either !

:thumbsup:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Those antler ones look real good! I think I would like those better than a bow riser one.

A friend of mine has made and donated antler lamps to the auction the last 2 years.

Just make sure you pack them real well when you send them to the auction winner. UPS did not do a great job on the one from the last auction.

Bisch

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
hey Brandon i've got and old browning safari II that the lower limb is bad that might make a nice lamp I'd give it to you if it would help.
PBS Associate member

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feed back and kind words guys.  I think I may just make one of each...it's for the kids.  I've thought about the St Jude's auction quite a bit and I'd be very honored to donate something nice to such a great cause this year.

Thanks for that generous offer Kenneth. I may take you up on it. I've been studying on it and I think I've got a pretty cool idea on how to tie in an old riser with the theme of the bases.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
My wife would probably prefer the log to the riser but either would be cool to me.  Really like the one you've posted.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
I like the cedar posts.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Cedar post for me.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
I really like the cedar post....great work bud and thanks ahead of time for the great donations!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
They all look great... Go with the one that you can ship safely  :thumbsup:

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I like the cedar. With antler added maybe scrape up the cedar like a real deer rub.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
I like the cedar post.  As I was reading the responses though I thought an old weathered fence post would be cool as well.  Not sure if it would work for your project.  I'm sure those will fetch quite a bit of money either way for the kids

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Another vote for the cedar post here. Excellent work!   :thumbsup:

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Hey guys. Thanks again for all the kind words and positive feedback.  When the time comes, I hope y'all bid these up high for the greater good.

Caughtandhobble- I think I'm gonna ship in two different boxes, one for the base and one for the shade.

Macbow- I've got a cedar behind the house that's just the right size with an actual rub on it that I've been saving for a special occasion...namely this one.

fdlz58-  weathered posts look awesome! We did a base for a deer out of weathered barn wood and I happened across an old weathered split rail American chestnut  for the post and it was the prettiest one I've done.

I'm gonna build at least two of em for the auction. One in cedar for sure. I'm gonna try one out of a riser but I'm not sure how just yet.  Thanks for the input guys. Bid high for the kids!

Mods- Please feel free to move this or delete it anytime you see the need to.  I know this isn't what the site is about. When it comes closer to auction time, I don't want to check out the PowWow and there be nothing but potential auction listings.

This is a special place and that's why I come here...it's traditional bow related only.  Thanks a lot guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©