3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cracked risers  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Cracked risers
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I had a bad weekend my two favorite bows are cracked.I was in my stand and noticed a crack in my bow riser just under the shelf in the grip area.I had painted this riser with patio brown paint ,was a blonde maple wood orginally hopeing it was just in the finish when I got home looked at another bow and noticed a crack in the same place. Well I took of the finish off and it is the riser that is cracked. One bow I bought used it was made in 1995 and killed  game,the other I bought in 2008 also was a killer and the best shooting bow I have ever had 56" recurve and 60"longbow limbs it fit me perfect.I will try to repair one ,the 15" b/c Bob Lee doesn't make the 15" anymore and I have limbs perfect for that riser.Sorry about the rant but if anyone has 15" longbow riser for sale please let me know.Top and middle bow they were not pretty but just fit me.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cracked risers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
So sorry Kip!  I know those bows are your all season hunting bows. Good luck finding a new riser buddy    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Where both the risers Maple? I had a maple riser break on me and won't order another maple one.

Bummer!

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Man, sorry to hear that! It sucks when our favorites get messed up.

On another note, what are the little oval leather looking things on the side of your risers?

Bisch

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
Mike it was about an hour after we spoke Friday that I saw the crack.One maple and one impregnated wood.Bisch plastic arrow holder needs to be turned 90 degrees towared back so rubber band goes around arrow and back on point.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Are they the by the same bowyer?  I have only had one riser crack (an 80's Bighorn) and it was replaced under warranty.  To have two risers crack seems odd to me.  If they were the same brand, think it could be something in their manufacturing process?

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
Same bowyer   Well I made a jig to put a little pressure to open up crack to let super glue flow in crack and tomorrow I will drill a hole on side of shelf and epoxy a sex screw through riser.I think that will salvage the riser since I cannot purchase another one.Have not decided what I will do with the grey and tan riser yet.Kip

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I think your fix will work fine......you'll be shooting that old girl for a long time!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Why screw it? Let the glue do its job. No need to put a nasty looking screw in your riser.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Yes sir I think the glue will do the job with no screw.
High on Archery.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
I will also say no screw.  I super glued a cracked riser for my son.  Seems to be holding up very well.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I have had two cracked risers by two very well known custom bowyers. Each with years of experience. I also have had 3 bows blow up limbs. I do take good care of my equipment and never let it in vehicles with high heat also watch to use a stringer so not to twist anything. I don't have a answer but I would say that all stressed parts can fail.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
What I find strange is that the crack opens up with pressure on the front of the bow not on the stress part of the braced bow seems like it would be the other way around unless the sudden stop of the string and limbs caused it.  :dunno:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
The crack is a compression crack . Its not pulling apart, It is caused by failure of the wood fibers due to compression. Usually these end up by blowing up, a Chunck of wood sometimes comes out of the center., That is tremendous pressure. My advice is to get someone to build you a new riser and fit both sets of limbs to it.
Just my honest opinion. God bless, Steve

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Can you post some up close pictures of the cracks?  I have fixed several risers with cracks, just wondering if what worked for me might be an option for you.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I would bet Roland Jenkins could build you a new riser.   He is located in Huntsville, Texas and a great bowyer. Bob Sarrels could build you one too.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
I'd think  Rob would build you a new riser. Can't hurt to ask them. JJ and Rob are good people.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Bummer.
I know you like your BLs.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Sorry bud!  Good luck with the repair. I've fixed a couple that I thought were goners.

I think you need a good bear hunt to soothe your troubles away!

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Hello Randy and Chris.The bow I killed my bear has had bad luck.One of the longbow limbs blew in the summer and now the riser cracked.I put some glue in the crack and put my hardhat and safty glasses and have been shooting it a while.We will see.Thanks to all who tried to help with ideas.Kip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©