3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your nemesis species...  (Read 1606 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
your nemesis species...
« on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
a post I made on another thread got me thinking.  seems a lot of us have one, so

what is your nemesis species?  you know, the one that no matter what, you have NO luck with.

for me its been whitetail deer.  going even back in my wheel bow days, I cannot even guess the amount of money and time ive spent chasing em.  I go to a buddies in Ohio most years, and hunt only good, private land.  once with a wheel bow some years back I shot a 118 or so inch deer, but otherwise no good luck.  couple years back with the ol bighorn I overshot a similar deer. hunted Kansas twice, with an outfit there.  all, good, managed private land.  got a shot at a bruiser both years, one I thought I drilled but was never seen again, and another a limb saved for another hunter.  locally, ive spent countless hours in a tree stand mainly in South Dakota with similar results.  had a nice buck hear my arrow sliding on my rug rest a couple years back.  another big buck knew my stand was there, it was placed too obviously by a buddy.  I could go on, but you get the picture.

this fall, in Ohio I did manage a nice buck finally, he wont make book but he would gross it.  I was beyond stoked, and hope im past the curse.....

how about you?
is it September yet??

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: your nemesis species...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Hands down Elk! Managed to kill 3 but probably hunted them on over a dozen different years.

So used to trying to be quiet and stealthy that it gets in the way of actually sounding like an elk. I really need to be more aggressive and not worry about making a bit of noise. Easier said than done when I'm so programmed to be elusive!

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Eastern wild spring turkey, been trying since 1989 the first year I took up trad, and was19 at the time. Haven't killed one yet.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Turkey
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Black bear. Every year something happens where I forget to apply for a permit, don't have the time to go, don't have the money, or don't get a permit. The few times I went the hunt was ruined by dog hunters, bears were not hitting the bait, poor weather. One time I had a bear comeing in to the bait site on a regular basis but I let my dad hunt the spot. I don't know what happened but somehow he didn't get a shot.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Elk.  Seem to miss when I get a quick shot.  Going back to CO this year after a 6 year hiatus.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
Hands down Elk! Managed to kill 3 but probably hunted them on over a dozen different years.

So used to trying to be quiet and stealthy that it gets in the way of actually sounding like an elk. I really need to be more aggressive and not worry about making a bit of noise. Easier said than done when I'm so programmed to be elusive!
That is so true for so many.

Mine would be good Muledeer.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Wild turkey.  Sooooo close so many times only to be busted.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Spring turkey with traditional archery gear.

I've been successful with other methods including flintlock but never with my longbow.

These days I will only use my bow to hunt them no matter how many pots of tag soup it takes.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
What ever I happen to be hunting on any given day.  I am consistently outwitted by animals and fish that have brains the size of a pea.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
wild turkey and javalina, I hate them, LOL, shaved a lot of feathers and hair but just cannot seem to kill one. Kinda strange as I have killed quail with my bow and they are a whole lot smaller, lol.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Elk.  I have been "in them" many times but no kills to my credit.  I have not hunted them in recent years though, I need to get back out there.

Kris

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
It used to be Black Bear. on my 5th Black Bear hunt, my first in the spring I finally connected on a Quebec Bruin, then took a nice Maine Boar the following Fall. Now, Its going to be the next critter I go after, I have no idea what that's going to be!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I'd have to say elk. I'm been elk hunting in Colorado twice and never saw an elk. I did hear a few bugles but that was about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
without a doubt "TURKEY", they seem to know I am
there before I do.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Mountain goat. A mental snapshot of an 11" Billy standing broadside on an outcropping is seared into my memory and I wish I had a do-over.

Shy of winning the lottery, I can't imagine a situation of ever getting a re-do, now with 4 kids, new house and evaporating discretionary funds.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
Mojostick, if it helps at all, mountain goat is my all time dream hunt. Successful or not I'm beyond jealous.
is it September yet??

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
Black tail deer.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Moose for me. I have been a full draw on several bulls that were right at that legal 50" rule but I just was not sure so they walked.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
A truly big black bear.   I've killed one medium size bear but the pumkin heads always elude me.  I've had a couple monsters within spitting distance while chasing elk but without a tag in my pocket.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©