3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASAT Camo Pants Advice  (Read 325 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
ASAT Camo Pants Advice
« on: February 05, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
I am gearing up for a moose hunt in AK and want to get versatile pants for the trip...in ASAT camo.  I need pants that are quiet, dry fairly quickly and that I can be layer to go from 70s to freezing.   For those of you who are in to ASAT camo what would you recommend?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASAT Camo Pants Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
Firstlite has the goods you are looking for.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I have the ultimate elite set,  it would definitely be to heavy for 70.  I would look at the elite essential pants.

Offline Limbhanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Check out Gray Wolf Woolens (sponsor).  They now carry ASAT in several different fabric choices.  Great quality!

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Day one.
Dan Breen

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Steve- I love ASAT. However, after exploring all the considerations and options for my AK trip; (only pants for 10 days-must function, weather-warm/wet/sleet, etc.)  My partner won/proved the discussion = Sitka Timberline.  I am not sure there is a better pant out there for the conditions we needed to meet.  I am saving now for a pair. The pattern is not ASAT- but that Optifade gray is REALLY good.

Also- if interested. . . PM me, as I saw them out there for $160ish (close to 80 or so off).

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
I use the performance series and the cotton (warm weather).

The Performance series will get you down to zero degrees. They are insulated, I mainly deer hunt from a stand and don't walk around - they get warm if you are hiking around, would not use them in over 50 degrees hiking around - sitting and walking I use them up to 70 degrees (still gets warm at 70 walking). The Performance jacket and pants are very well made. You are going to need a "system" for clothing - ASAT is relatively inexpensive compared to others. I have the cotton stuff, the lighter bibs and then the Performance jacket and pants.
What about rain - with the Performance you stay dry inside but the jacket and pants get wet on the outside and need to dry
The burrs stick to the Performance stuff just like with wool - maybe worse.

That is my experience with ASAT

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
I would go with the elite essential pant for those temps. They run large- I had to go a full size smaller than normal.
BD

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
I agree with BD. The sizes do run large. A full size difference is a true statement in my case.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Wouldn't worry too much about Camo...more concerned with quiet clothing. You can find good wool pants in Gray and dark green almost anywhere at decent prices.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Firstlite. I have the knab pants in xl and layer under them. However I see they have a new bib that sounds good. Also the knab are merino wool with ripstop and have held up awesome!
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
I have some first light.  They are excellent.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
only  WOOL !!!
   Kanab

no smell, when you wet wool retains 60% of the heat. I tried  ,just wool !
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
Wouldn't worry too much about Camo...more concerned with quiet clothing. You can find good wool pants in Gray and dark green almost anywhere at decent prices.
some link or pm please
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I'm with Beachy and the others who said Firstlite for ASAT in moderate temps. I am very happy with it for warm temp hunting as the merino breaths awesome. If you need really cold weather gear I would add on some of Gray Wolf's wool ASAT on top of the FL.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
I have First Lite in ASAT.  Love them.  Would never wear them in AK though. First Lite Kanabs are very thin. Layering would solve the warmth issue- but one sharp stick or devil's club and you have tore pants. Not good in the wilderness with no back-up.  

As a 4th generation north woods hunting family- I always would have lived and died "pro-wool."  Near home its still my go-to. However as I already posted here- for one pant in the wilderness- these new tech materials are tough, light, water resistant, and quickly dry. You layer underneath them with the merino wool-so they have the pros of wool yet a wide range of temp diversity and ability to dry quickly.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©