3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Hill style bow ?  (Read 538 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Hill style bow ?
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Give me your opinion on the best Hill Style bow out there...(maker,model,etc) and WHY !
                                      Tradcat

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Hill style bow ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131670

That may help get you started.  Take your time, there's a lot of info there.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Sorta like asking "What's your favorite pick up truck?"

:saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
...or "what makes for a beautiful woman?"

The fun of it all is developing your own opinions  and then changing them every six months.  

You got to start somewhere, 66"-68" HH Wesley Special, all boo cores.

Kris

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
The best Hill style.....that's easy.....the one you shoot well.   :thumbsup:   Try all you can before you buy!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kris:
...or "what makes for a beautiful woman?"

The fun of it all is developing your own opinions  and then changing them every six months.  

Kris
But it is cheaper to change bows than women!

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »

But it is cheaper to change bows than women!

Sweet!    :clapper:

I'm still married to my first and only wife...happy for that!  

Kris

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
I keep on getting  what I think is the best . But after18bows later !  Well I think I'm done.  Out of them I love my jets and David miller spit bamboo is on top . But a jd. North Star  is coming in !    It's like getting poison  ivy. Got to scratch the itch
Dan Breen

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
It is my experience that every bow someone has handed me to try that shot like a form of punishment has been a Hill Style. Before you buy if you have the opportunity, definitely shoot one. I believe it is important that these bows are shot with the heel of your hand firmly along the length of the low grip, draw tension evenly distributed.  With that said, there are certainly fine D bows being made today by a number of Custom Bowyers. I shoot Dan Toelke Super Ds and have yet to find a smoother drawing, quicker, dead in the hand and especially not a quieter Hill Style. I hope you find one you like, as has been posted here often and proven my experience as well there is something almost magical about shooting them, especially with properly tuned wooden arrows.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I'm with the rest as I don't feel there is a "best". But for me personally it is the JD Berry Morningstar.
James grips are just plain amazing, smooth, quick , point able perfectly balanced bows .  To top it off James is an amazing man to talk to. I just don't see how you could go wrong with a Berry. I have found MY perfect bows
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
I am a big fan of David Miller longbows I own four with another in the works soon. His American semi longbows are great hunting weapons that are also works of art.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
I know the best longbow, or at least the one that lit the fires of adventure the most. It was a about 60" long, about 30 pounds pull, and made of lemonwood by York Archery. The best longbow would be the one that you grab without a second thought and get out there with.  I know a longbow shooter that has a few really nice bows, but the one he always takes is an old Kramer built bow from the early 80s. When asked why always that one? "It ain't broke yet."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
If you want to try a Hill style but not break the bank in case you don't like it then try a Lite Night bow from Mike Balleger of 7 Lakes Longbows.

Or,

look to the classifieds.

Why?

'cause I've done both and both have been successful for me.

You really need to shoot a straight grip, dished grip, and locator grip before deciding what suits YOU the best.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Well a course i'm going to go with a J D Berry. James has been building custom longbows getting close to 40 years now, Wow that's a long time. He has mastered the art of the longbow, he is truly a master bowyer.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
James seems to be the bowyer du jour right now.  As I posted on the Hill thread a while back, for a time all you heard was Dave Johnson--now it seems he has dropped off the face of the earth.  Then somebody else seems to be getting all the press for a while--then we move on to another. Not a complaint, just an observation. I'm glad we have many talented bow makers.  I have tried many, many longbows of the Hill variety over the years and have shot most of the "best" ones out there.  My own take on it is that there really isn't all that much that can be done with a single style of bow and most seem to be pretty much alike to me.  I still really like my "genuine" Howard Hill longbows as well as any.     :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I'm liking my HHA Sirocco, being Friday and all. The Kramer Big 5 is so Thursday. I could go on but you get the point....   :D
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm with Mr. Mitchell
    I have one Longbow, My Big five made for me by Craig...
    My next will be made by HH archery also, I'll stick with the tried and true....How many years have they been building bows and you don't have to wait very long either....
    I sent my Big five back for a weight reduction and had it back in two weeks, Mind you, half of that was shipping time....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Best to ger one from every bowyer. then get another one from every bowyer that's a little bit different from the first

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
HHA is hard to beat. However, I just picked up a Shrew Hill that is a sweetheart, too. So many choices, so little time.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©