3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gotta try this ILF thing  (Read 622 times)

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
Gotta try this ILF thing
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Well, i guess i dont have enough bows yet. I have been checking into this ILF bows stuff, i have to give it a shot, sounds interesting. I bought a used Titan riser from a fella in PA should get it Monday, and yesterday i ordered a set of ******** Black Max carbon limbs, and a manual for the titan riser. I am sure i should have a string to fit it, just dont know about the rest yet, and the different adjustments you can make on the limbs, preload and tiller and such, hope it tells me all this in the manual, cant wait to get it.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gotta try this ILF thing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
The ILF stuff is fun and there is plenty of info on the web to help out.  Have fun!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Im gonna be right behind you. I just cant stop thinking about one.I think im gonna try the ******** pinnacle 2. Just seems like you could have a lot [f fun with one.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I started Trad archery with one-piece and regular TD bows. Now, about 5 years later, all I own is ILF bows!   :thumbsup:
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
You will have plus or minus 2 !/2 pounds on your limbs and can adjust your tiller what ever you feel works best for you. You can buy just about any limb type you want, hunting, target, competition, even Olympic caliber. I have had a bunch of different stuff but settled on Bill Dunn's Zipper ILF risers.....really pleased with them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Scott Grella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
It is certainly addicting and opens the doors to endless riser and limb combinations.  I really like em!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
I am not going that way - I get confused too easy as it is - ha!

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
I have a Titan and a P II and 5 sets of limbs ranging from 20#-57#...the Titan is my favorite riser with Dryad Epic recurve medium limbs or Samick BF Extremes
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I should have mentioned that I'm using Dyrad Static tip recurve limbs......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
Start with picking the correct limb length for your draw length to get the best out of your setup.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
shoot straight shoot often

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
My riser is 17", my draw length is 27.5" and i got med limbs.I heard alot of good things of the epic limbs, probably should have spent the extra $130.00 maybe and got them. I was trying to get decent stuff to begin with, without spending too much incase it wasent my cup of tea so to speak.Most of what i heard was the TT Black Max Carbons were a good bang for your buck, tried to find used, but all i seen were longs, had it in my head that i should have med.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the Pete Ward site, it is very helpful.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I found that I just set it and forget it once it's shooting good. Ended up being like a regular bolt down. But I have two different lengths of risers and five sets of limbs so lots of combinations there. I'm back to shooting a bolt down but I have lots of back up bows and loaners!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
You don't necessarily have to go with a raised rest and plunger. I use either a rug rest, velcro, or a feather rest with a furniture pad for a strike plate.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
My entry into ILF was last January with a TTT II and BF Extreme limbs. I worked closely with John to order the correct set-up for my 26" draw(58" rig).

I was immediately very happy with it. So happy that I hunted with that bow exclusively in 2013. That's saying a lot for me because I left some very nice customs on the rack all season.

I have found though that I don't change the set up.  I like that I can adjust the draw weight from about 50# down to about 46# if I want too. But, a non-ILF bow at any weight in that range would work as well. One of the things I liked best about this rig was that I could use a highly adjustable springy type arrow rest with an adjustable side plate. This is a function of the metal riser being cut way inside center. Wood riser bows just don't have enough room for that, so it is the shelf, Bear Weather, or stick-on flipper - those kind of centershot preserving rests.

I like my ILF rig a lot. It is smooth, fast, and very stable. From a shootability stand point this bow is the baseline for rating every bow I have or will have.

However, I long for a wood bow and I don't need ILF. I'm headed for a 1-piece recurve for hunting this year -- Fox Maverick or Rose Oak Ultra Delight SE.

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I recently got into ILF too. It cured of a bow buying problem, but replaced it with a limb buying problem.  ;)  seriously though I love this system; best thing since sliced bread!
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I find it the ilf / das systems to be very accommodating to shooters and the weight adjustment is really cool. Limbs can be purchased from anywhere in the world at all price points.  I like them a lot.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Well tomorrow i should get my Titan riser, according to the tracking number. Then tuesday i am suppose to receive my limbs from Lancaster, this has been a long weekend waiting for mon and tue to come. I have quite a few strings around, so i am hoping the spare SBD string will fit, its for a 60" recurve, and with my medium limbs,i should have a 60" bow,  hopefully it will fit. I also got a feather rest and some odds and end from 3rivers due tues or wed, and a couple hundred full length feathers i bought from a guy should be here also, going to be like christmas around here this week, cant hardly wait.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I found the feather rest and a furniture pad perfect for the Titan riser.  

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©