3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing?  (Read 440 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing?
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
So deer season is over and I may go look for some pigs, but I have been out gigging sheephead and flounder where I live.  I am now interested in setting up my bow and trying to bowfish.  I have a few questions, I own a bear Kodiak but I am not sure I want to take it out on the boat with saltwater or even rain.  How much should I be worried about getting the bow wet?  Next I am thinking about buying an adapter to install a fishing reel on the end.  What type of line would I put on it?  Also I am thinking of making one of my bare shaft arrows my fishing arrow and buying a tip for it.  

Your advice and help thanks.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Not sure about the salt and your bow but I take mine out in rain all the time without issue.  There is an adapter designed just for trad bows that doesn't require putting holes in your bow - it installs with a rubber strap.  No, you can't use your bare shaft arrow for fishing, it's way too light, and it floats.  Fishing arrows are solid fiberglass so they penetrate thru the fish.  In my opinion the best reel to get is the AMS and it comes with 200 lb braided line already installed.  You are probably better off getting the complete AMS kit - most archery shops have them.  Good luck, bowfishing is a blast.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Thanks I will def look into it.  I just need to find out about the saltwater and my bow.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Water won't hurt your bow but banging around in a boat and on the rocks on shore will. Get some limb covers/wrap if you want to keep it nice.  A Kodak is one of the few bows with a tall enough upper riser that a strap on adapter will work worth squat with an AMS reel. They mount in standard sight inserts which is the only way I'll mount one on my bows.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Putting a fishing reel (spin style fishing reel with a push button) may not be the best idea for starting out. nothing wrong with spinners when you have the experience and even then i usually only suggest them for people that are shooting alot of tournements.
The ams retriver reel is very fast, very simple, bulet proof design, and much safer until you get everything figured out. 90% of all people bowfushing use a ams retriver reel and for good reason. (fast, safe, bombproof, easy).
  If you go with a ams retriver you have to use the ams strap on bracket if you dont have site window holes on your bow. The great northern adapter wont work with a ams reel, it has to be the ams adapter.
 As metioned you need a actual fishing arrow for the weight and durability. make sure you get the ones with the plastic slide and stop on the arrow. this allows the line to be attached to the slide. the line and slide stay at the front of the arrow so it cant get caught up on anytihng and when you shoot the slide slides to the back of the shaft so you get good flight. easy, fast, safe set up.
 bows can get pretty beat up if you let them. I know guys that put masking tape on the edges of thier bow to protect agains abrasions, etc. I dont use anything on my bows and they get the crap kicked out of them and hold up very well. just touch the bow up after the bowfishing season each year.
 Bowfishing is a wonderful time. And where you live the skies the limit on how many things you can go after and how much fun you can have.
 Just a warning...bowfishing is the most addictive thing you can do with a bow. once you start it never stops. first a bow, then a boat, then lights and generator, then you find yourself on the water from 9pm until 7am on weekends and sleeping when your wife wants you to cut the grass...lol

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by LB_hntr:

...If you go with a ams retriver you have to use the ams strap on bracket if you dont have site window holes on your bow. The great northern adapter wont work with a ams reel, it has to be the ams adapter...

FWIW I think the AMS is a better adapter regardless of which type reel you go with. It's steel and will work with both.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I would even sujest a new bow for it. Ive found you dont want to much poundage...I like 40-45 and that depends on the fish. So I say a cheap sage or martin jaguar or maybe a entry pse. They have kits. That way you dont have to worry about your bow getting banged up.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Check out three rivers. Lots of bow fishing supply's.  had a bear spring arm real  once it worked good . But now I just use a fishing arrow. 80lb braided line.  And loop the line around my hand  and drop it when I shoot . Less stuff to carry.
Dan Breen

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
PSE has a entire set up for cheaper than what it would take for my bow to work.  Called the kingfisher on 3riversacrhery.com.  All I would use this for is bowfishing, I think this would work.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I have used the AMS reels for 15 to 20 years with no trouble. After many years the rubber rollers do need to be replaced sometimes. I tried the muzzy push button reels but just didn't care for them. Had a friend use an old 808 and it only took a dozen shots to loose all 4 of his arrows. In the excitement of spawning carp he just could not remember to push the button before shooting.

You can pickup one of the old hand wrap reels for very little money and they work fine but are a lot slower to re-wrap the string each shot. There has probably been more fish shot with this type of reel over the years than any other available.

Nothing is harder on a bow than bowfishing in boats if you get in rough water while in a boat they can and will bounce out. Also lost a friends bow from a large carp flopping around and striking his bow as it was placed on a seat. Carp flopped hit the limb of the bow and flipped it end for end into the river. It is best to have some type of bow hangers / holder in boats.
PBS  Member

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I had a friend make me a 40# trad-shaped PVC bow for bowfishing.  Works great and its dang near bulletproof.   I live in an estuary environment -- tidal river - and didn't want to risk a 'good' bow.  I use a fletch-less fiberglass flag stake from Home Despot as a fishing arrow, with glued on nock and fishing head.  For a reel I use an old fly reel I picked up in a yard sale for $5, and 20# line -- no finess needed.  I don't attach it to my bow, but rather to my belt.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm in the Apollo Beach area and I am planning on doing a little bowfishing myself for mullet and ray.  I ususlly bowfish up north (Upstate, New York) with an old fashion tape on reel and solid fibreglass arrows from my canoe and have had a blast hauling in 25+ pound carp. Like you, this will be my first experience with salt water species but I know it'll be a blast.  Just remember the deeper the fish is swimming, the lower you need to aim below the fish image you ate looking at.  Water refraction does it but you'll quickly get used to it.  Good luck.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Living aboard a sailboat in the Fort Myers City Mrina, I can bowfish off my boat.  Mullet, gafftopsail catfish, occasional drum and other species.  Could have nailed  5 ft tarpon on Wednesday.  I also bowfish tilapia for eating from a couple of local community ponds.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Living aboard a sailboat in the Fort Myers City Marina, I can bowfish off my boat!  Mullet, gafftopsail catfish, occasional drum and other species.  Could have nailed  5 ft tarpon on Wednesday.  I also bowfish tilapia for eating from a couple of local community ponds.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
Has anyone ever gone for shark  that would be a blast!
Dan Breen

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
I have both the AMS reel and a Zebco 808 and I use the 808 exclusively on my Browning Wasp mounted with the AMS adapter. I like both reels but I prefer the rapid retrieve of the 808 and I like to reel my fish in as well. I use Power Pro Spectra braided 50# line and it comes off my reel as smooth as silk.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
I'm in Englewood Fl. and use a Mag take down for my bowfishing, Shoot mostly tilapia, sheepshead and rays. The saltwater hasn't had any damaging affect on my equipment so far.

I use the AMS system with the strap on adapter works great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©