3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great backpacks hauling out meat?  (Read 480 times)

Offline KSPete

• Trad Bowhunter
Great backpacks hauling out meat?
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
If I'm lucky enough to harvest an elk this year, I'd need a sturdy backpack for the trips back and forth to base camp.  What do you folks use?
Thanks!
KSPete

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great backpacks hauling out meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Frost Rivers are just the coolest and some of the most durable made......awesome stuff.....check out their website..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
If you want a really great pack, get a horse! Don't expect any pack to be comfortable with an elk hindquarter on it. But, if you are young and tough, packing an elk out is a great experience.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Come up here and pack out a moose first and then the elk will seem like just a cake walk.    :D

Brand is not so important, find a pack that fits and is comfortable.   :thumbsup:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
I bought my son a frame pack from Cabelas.. He said it worked great and was comfortable. As long as he is around  I'll never know.   :bigsmyl:

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I like the Kelty Cache Hauler frame.  Has a folding "shelf" at the base to provide good load support aside from the straps.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Check out Idaho Packframes.  I've hauled a bit of meat on mine.  

BT

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
I've had a Cabelas Alaskan II for 20+ years and have helped pack out quite a few elk.  Biggest thing is to adjust it to fit you.  Get good shoulder straps and hip pad that are adjustable.  Get it set up before the season starts - with 60-80 lbs in it and know how it handles.  Nothing worse and more dangerous than an illfitting pack except maybe boots that don't fit.  

Also, if you don't know the gutless method of butchering an elk - find a video.  Ditto with boning out quarters.  No need to haul all that bone around if you don't need to.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
The Cabela's Pack is hard to beat for the money.  I have used one to pack out several elk and caribou.
T ZZZZ

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
If your on a budget the old aluminum frame Army ALICE Packs work good. You can find some good deals at many Army surplus stores.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Military surplus works but skip the Alice.  The Marine Corps newer ILBE is about a thousand times better and can be bought cheap.  Kifaru is probably the best thing going but your going to pay for it too.

Offline First Up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
Hello KSPete. Most of my hunts are solo backpack hunts. I have taken two record book moose in northern british columbia both of which were approximately a 12hr pack out for each quarter.I have packed out mountain goat, elk and mule deer. Depending on how you will pack out the meat and how far may determine what type of pack you want. If you are packing out the meat with the bone-in then an exterior frame pack may be easier for you because the  quarter can be tied on to the frame. I have found an exterior frame is not comfortable at all and may rub on the skin causing open sores despite extra wide shoulder and hip belts. If you decide to debone the animal then I find an internal frame is the best since the meat easily sits inside the pack and the frame is conformed to your back for comfort. My packs generally weighed well over 100lbs of deboned meat. I find any packing longer than 3 hrs with a heavy load requires an internal frame pack for comfort. A good pack will be expensive. It should have a very large capacity, be comfortable and the stitching should be very strong. I was given an aluminum frame army pack from a friend of mine who used it for many of his backpack hunts. Skeptical at first but when I put it on I believe it is an excellent pack. I have not used it yet for serious packing.
I hope this helps a little. Unfortunately I do not have the brands of my packs but a high quality expedition pack should suffice. Remember if you are packing for a very long distance comfort is extremely important.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Mystery Ranch and Blacks Creek both make packs that are designed for what you are looking for. I plan to buy a Blacks Creek this fall.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
I know that the guides in Alaska like the Barneys external frame packs. They are pricey but they say they are the best for carrying heavy loads. Also you have to take into consideration that the guides are using them and carrying loads the entire season. For someone that might pack out one or two critters per year you might be better to go with something cheaper and carry lighter loads.

http://barneyssports.com/backpacks/frontier-gear-of-alaska-frieghter-frame.html

Offline stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
I have a Freighter, not sure of the brand but perhaps a Cabelas.  Got it for $20 at a yard sale.  Works real good.  I'm not one of these guys who kills 4 record book elk every year that are 12 miles back into the wilderness.  This frame gets a workout about every couple of years, and the average distance is 2 miles.  I am quite pleased with what I have.  For the record, I own two internal frame packs that I one once each and never again.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »
The Cabelas Alaskan frame pack will definitely carry more than your legs will want to experience.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
I don't believe in having a bunch of packs, when one will do just fine.  Since any good pack is probably over $150.00, I think its nuts to own stuff that isn't used a lot at that price point.

Eberlestock x2.
 It actaully can haul a big load of meat with its aluminum frame as the key part of being able to do that. So you don't need a specialized pack just for hauling meat.

When not being called upon to haul heavy, it is a pretty good pack as an all day, all around stalker.
Not a big fan of bigger packs on my back for the "just in case" either.   Or daypacks that lack the structure to haul out meat.
 This one is a good value considering that it can haul 100lbs if you ask it too, without killing you in the process. The frame and suspension system are pretty good. Its the only pack I take into the elk woods.

I have it on 14hrs a day and its easy to load up bulky weird shaped things like trophy bull elk racks. ;0)

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline LJOHNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab - It will last you a life time. They are built like a tank, not cheap though...

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm a huuuge fan of Kifaru. Well, not personally, but a buddy of mine has one & if I ever kill an elk, I'll come back & tell you how well he managed packing it for me......  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
On a budget, and for packing quarters, I'd also take a look at the Paradox Packworks Evolution frame.

If you're going to live out of a backpack for a week at a time, then go Kifaru.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©