3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ??? About self filming.  (Read 355 times)

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
??? About self filming.
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
For you guys that self film. What is the best camera and mount for this. I am considering starting with one on my head then another in turkey decoys or on ground.

I know go pros are good. Have heard they are an anti hunting company  

I thought the spy point excel was a great deal but can't get any reviews from users.

Any tips or help would be great. Going on an annual trad hunt in March for Texas turkey. Hopefully can get a setup to share footage.

Thanks
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ??? About self filming.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
The problem with one attached to your head is that the angle of your head while an animal is approaching is different than when you shoot. Be sure to off-set the camera over your left brow (if rt. hand shooter) and keep your head slightly turned to the right while watching animals approach. Then when you shoot everthing should stillbe in the frame.

Another issue is zoom....tough with any camera attached to your body.Audio is not up to par with those cameras as well.

I'd say get a good high def. camera that records onto a hard memory or SD cards. Get a tripod with a fluid head and tree arm with a fluid head as well...the fluid head is key. I switched to a Muddy arm with Manfrotto head this year and am happy with the quality. I have yet to get a good tripod with head but just use my $20 one for now.

I also have a Contour camera (like a Gopro) that I attach to my arm. I built a plate on top of my arm guard so you can watch the arrow coming back and see right down the arrow.

Which ever you choose, practice with it so you know how to properly capture what you want to. Good luck!

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Thank you for your advice. You were just the one I wanted to hear from. If you know of any good models that you recommend or where to find used equipment. Please email me pm or just type it out. I really appreciate it. I want to film and have watched your videos. They are great. I really need a head start on the tricks. Thanks again.

Tom
I like Spurs

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Tom, I just got Sony Action cam today.
It's Sony's version of a "Go Pro" point of view type action cam. It's the HDR-AS30V...they also have a AS15 that is cheaper, and will do almost everything the 30 will do.

Researched them a lot before deciding on this one.

I like the way it mounts better than the GoPro, it uses standard tripod screw mounts. GoPro has it's own proprietary mounting systems.

It mounts more streamlined as well. Instead of being in front of my head, it will be to the side, over my right ear(i'm a lefty). Which I believe will be better for behind the bow type shots....Pheasant hunting, rabbit hunting, bowfishing....anything close up.It comes with a very nice waterproof housing as well. So, I'm looking forward to getting some underwater bowfishing action!

It will mount to any old cheap tripod for turkey hunting and setting in the deke's.

For filming out of a blind, I'll use my regular video camera that I can zoom and such on a better tripod.
It also has setting to film in slo-mo, and super slo-mo.

I took a slo-mo video of my daughter today at batting practice and it turned out great and the lighting was not great either. Cool feature! You get slo-mo without having to get into an editing program.

Like I said, I just picked it up today....but as far as I can see the possibilities are endless for this type camera for close up, point of view filming!!!

You tube is a great source for educating yourself on these POV type cameras....tons of video's!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I really appreciate the advice Curt. I will be doing my research on the Sony for sure. I had no idea they had one on the market yet.   Tks

Tom
I like Spurs

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Many of the HD camcorders today are very small and compact and great for videoing hunts.  I use a motion camera arm for in the blind.  Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
I would go with a regular camcorder type camera(if you need to choose between a GoPro type or camcorder). The head mounted type are pretty limiting(can't review the footage etc.) and I see them as more of a alternate/second view camera.
I use a cheap tri-pod for blinds and still-hunting and a Gorilla tree arm for hunting from tree stands.
In the stand, mount the camera on your right side(for a rh shooter). In the blind, I've had good luck with the tripod on either left or right sides but generally use the right.
Good editing software is key. I recently switched from Windows Vista to Windows 7 on my computer(Movie Maker). The Windows 7 is much harder to use, it's a real hassle. I've heard good things about Final Cut Pro.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Tom, I just got Sony Action cam today.
It's Sony's version of a "Go Pro" point of view type action cam. It's the HDR-AS30V...they also have a AS15 that is cheaper, and will do almost everything the 30 will do.

Researched them a lot before deciding on this one.

I like the way it mounts better than the GoPro, it uses standard tripod screw mounts. GoPro has it's own proprietary mounting systems.

It mounts more streamlined as well. Instead of being in front of my head, it will be to the side, over my right ear(i'm a lefty). Which I believe will be better for behind the bow type shots....Pheasant hunting, rabbit hunting, bowfishing....anything close up.It comes with a very nice waterproof housing as well. So, I'm looking forward to getting some underwater bowfishing action!

It will mount to any old cheap tripod for turkey hunting and setting in the deke's.

For filming out of a blind, I'll use my regular video camera that I can zoom and such on a better tripod.
It also has setting to film in slo-mo, and super slo-mo.

I took a slo-mo video of my daughter today at batting practice and it turned out great and the lighting was not great either. Cool feature! You get slo-mo without having to get into an editing program.

Like I said, I just picked it up today....but as far as I can see the possibilities are endless for this type camera for close up, point of view filming!!!

You tube is a great source for educating yourself on these POV type cameras....tons of video's!
Well said Curt.
This is a great camera if you are set on a POV camera. This sony has the best processor (CMOS) that does a great job in low light. I simply would not buy a camera of any type that did not contain this processor. It also offers options for field of view when filming that I do not believe the Gopro does.

Having said this, a POV camera would not be my first choice if I was starting out filming. A mid priced video camera such as the Sony HDR CX-160 will offer you much greater flexibility and will only run you about $300.  I use this camera exclusively now.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Good advice so far... so I will try to add to it vs. repeating...

*  Focus focus focus...nowadays the chip is less important than the lens.   That is why some cellphone pictures are great and most suck.  It is not because the chip is "bad".  It is because there is very little (no) lens in front of the chip on the phone.  The cam that Jerry mentioned has a nice glass on it for the size.

* Get software to edit the stuff.  This is really IMO where the fun and creativity come in.  I use imovie on a mac, but there are many good ones.  Shoot a bunch of video and throw most of it away or glue it together in interesting ways.   Also you want the camera rolling a lot as you likely will not know with "it" will happen.   And "it" is not likely just the shot.  A lot happens out there that isn't related to the kill.  You also, IMO don't want to edit on the fly or add effects that way.

* Small matters at least for me.  If it is too large, I leave it at home.  All the cams mentioned so far fit this though.  I am there to hunt, and film next.  So don't want the cam in the way.

Have fun...

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
"Having said this, a POV camera would not be my first choice if I was starting out filming. A mid priced video camera such as the Sony HDR CX-160 will offer you much greater flexibility and will only run you about $300. I use this camera exclusively now."

Jerry Thank You Sir! That's what I was looking for. There are so many options... Great thread everyone. Thanks for taking the time guys.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
My rig is really simple but does an excellent job and packs good...

I have self filmed several deer kills with it and in HD quality. Learning where to put it on the tree for self filming is a learning thing and deer don`t always follow the script.

Just the other day I got one of those telescoping shooting sticks for a Rifle from Walmart. The "v" the rifle rest on can be screwed off and the remaining bolt fits the camera.It has a solid sharp point and sticks in the ground solid. It will adjust up and down for the pop-up blind or ghillie hunt for turkeys.I also plan on taking it pig stalking. I hope to film my stalk till the last little bit the stick it down and finish the stalk on film as well. I hope...RC

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
RC, I have some similar tree arms. They are handy beacuse they give you extra screw in posts(3) that you can leave in the tree. Just have to bring the lightweight camera arm and hook it on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©