3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: School me on black bears ***Update page 7: Getting better!  (Read 1987 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: School me on black bears ***Update page 7: Getting better!
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Never bear hunted, but I know the few we have on our lease don't like much pressure and soon vacate our lease around the last part of October when the 4 wheelers and deer feeding starts.  Looks like you have picked one of the most remote places on the land and I would think that it counts for something.  Probably good for bear hunting.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
More questions.

1.  This land is a 30 minute drive from my house.  I work from 8-5.  My plan was to bait the site before work thinking a) it's one of the only times I can and b) bait on the ground early in the day may bring them in earlier.  Think this is reasonable?

2.  With the amount of times I'm gonna be placing bait I'm obviously going to be dropping a lot of my scent on the ground.  I assume they get at least somewhat accustomed to my scent.  To what level of scent control do I need while baiting and then when I actually get to hunt do I go "scent free" or stay the status quo?

Thanks.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
I might still go just south of that pond on the property you can hunt. you might want to pick a location with a separate path into the stand that you use for baiting.

A for 1. I think baiting early is a great idea, you may find the bears will come right after the bait is set out, maybe then switch to evening right before your hunt, bait walk out and enter from other trail to stand.  
A for 2. some bears get accustom to the baiters scent this can be good and bad, either come in or avoid depending on the situation, usually big smart previously hunted bears will avoid in this situation.  I have found those HS scent wafers work really good (deer, bear and elk).
 You might want to go normal for baiting and scent free for hunting.  

I have not shot a trad bear yet but have trapped and shot many through a previous job. Also have had some opportunities but just am waiting for the right bear.

One thing I like to do is drag a skinned beaver into the bait from several directions to leave a great trail.  since your not hunting with meat, may want to use a scenting method ( mixture of really stinky and sticky stuff - anise, bacon grease, syrup, etc. or a combo) around the bait area.  tried that this spring worked ok.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
If you could get the scent glands from a beaver that would be good.

I know this would not help you but  for other guys,  when we reseeded my alfalfa field we used a cover crop of oats.  The bear flattened huge areas of the field. I think it was during the "milk" stage of the oat growth.

This thread is getting me thinking about bear hunting again, and I don't have time for it !!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Took a buddy of mine last night to check out some potential stand sites.  Pretty much a downpour for the several hours we hiked around, but had a blast doing it.  
What I'm calling the "Spring Stand", the one previously mentioned and marked with the red "X", got his attention the most.  "Cool, damp, dark, thick and above all, really quiet and remote" were his comments.  Heres a couple of pics of this potential site to give you an idea of the area.  (Sorry for the quality, but it was raining hard!)

My buddy standing where the crib would go about 8 yards west of the spring.

Me checking out the spring hole.

Just like deer hunting, I don't think there is a "perfect" stand, but I'm gonna start baiting this one and sees what may come in.  I'll post more when I get trail cam pics.  

Cedar tree
Mike

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Looking forward to see how this progresses

:campfire:    :campfire:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Hummer3T,
Looking at the aerial, that spot just south of the pond does look good.  The funnel area you see is a stand of dark pines flowing down to the south where it pinches a tag swamp before rising up to a higher plateau where deer bed quite frequently.  The open areas to the west and northwest are a 4 year old clearcut.  
That spot would probably be good for bear, but it is certainly itching for a whitetail stand!  Mornings of my week bear hunting may just be spent getting some trees ready for November.     ;)
Mike

Online larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
What part of wisonsin are you from and where do you plan on hunting. If you live close to me I may be ableto  pass on some advise as I have done lots of bear baiting.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
What are your thoughts on setting 2 or 3 baits, seeing which ones get hit best then discontinuing the 1or 2 that don't get  hit like you would hope?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Charlie,
I think multiple baits to start is a sound idea, however time constraints (4 young kids and a busy job) mean that I have to bait these before work and I just don't think I could have more than one site far enough apart to make a huge difference.  Also, there's a county highway that borders the east and southern boundaries, relatively busy neighbors to the southwest forties, but our neighbor to the north/northwest wont show up until mid September with a super thick tag swamp and creek separating us.  My gut is telling me the NW area and for those reasons I'm all chips in on one site unless I'm just getting no action.  (I do have a plan B and a plan C, which is two other properties that I have permission to hunt).

Larry,
I'm from tomahawk, and our land is east of the Willow flowage about three miles;  close enough to your neck of the woods, so have at her and chime in!
Mike

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Mike,  I'm not sure where the Boundaries are but if you do not get a bear over Bait,  My dad has some connections to guys with Dogs near Ashland.

He took a nice one there 2 years ago.  They are usually eager to find guys with tags just to exercise their dogs.

Last year My brother baited around Mosinee and had a few hits but never while he hunted.

I am starting to earn my points for when I move back to Wausau starting this year.

I will be glued to your thread to learn how to do it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
I like that spring in the picks, I always like a cool drink of H2O with my food.  good luck, keep us posted with pics of baits set ups, hunting and etc,

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
That spring looks dynamite.Bears have to drink daily but as important,when it is warm,they need to dunk themselves to cool off.That spring is big enough that they can roll around in it to get soaked.I've seen them dunk in a water trough in the early mornings with temps only in the 70's.

That looks like a good spot to even sit without bait though Fall food changes might pull them away.

Regarding beaver,if you can locate any animal damage control trappers,you might get them to save them for you.There is a trapping site with an ADC forum that you could try locating one close to you.If you need that PM me.

If it were me,I would want some trail cameras on some of your best spots,even before baiting.I think you've picked a great spot.I look forward to hearing more.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
Time for an update.
All the "info" I'm blatantly plagiarizing from my friend John who helped me with the set up.

Last Thursday we went out after work and built a bait crib at the Spring Stand location.  I've never built one before but my buddy has and I was surprised at the thought that goes into it and the reasoning behind it.  
I'll describe how I set up the bait because A) It might help someone else who's never done it and B) I want you seasoned guys to chime in if I'm doing something wrong!!!    :)  

Step one.  Using a chainsaw we cut three trees about 8-10" diameter at the base.  We then cut them into two 4', two 5', and the rest 6'.  It was warm that night and by the time we were done it was like we jumped in a lake we were so wet from sweat.

Taking the largest logs, (the two 4 footer and two 5 footers), you make a square frame on the ground where you want the crib.  The 5 footers will be the "front" and "back" of the square, with the 4 foot ones being the "sides".  You also want the 5 foot logs to be the largest diameter logs.  Five foot logs also give you a good reference for sizing up a bear. Here's us laying the base.

Using 7" pole barn nails we tied the frame together.  We then dug down into the mossy ground a bit forming a shallow depression and used the clumps like mortar to seal around the base of the log to keep out red squirrels and other critters.  Due to the dampness of the swampy ground we put pine boughs in the hole to keep the bait off the ground as much as possible.  I guess bear don't like things soggy!

Once the bait is placed we laid the remaining six foot logs down, perpendicular to the stand.  You want them TIGHT together to keep out as much rain and small creatures as possible.

The reason to have the logs perpendicular to you is that the bear will come in from the sides and push aside the logs vs. from the front, rolling them towards themselves.  Directing them to the sides of the crib obviously infers a broadside shot.  Lastly, I mentioned the front and back five foot logs should be of larger diameter than the four foot sides.  This gives us a positive stop so the six footers don't roll off the ends.  Clear as mud?  Here's the final result, (and if you're questioning the beers, Hey, this is Wisconsin!)

Also notice that we took the tops from the trees we cut and walled off the backside of the crib trying to force them around to the sides.

So, bait was placed Thursday, 7-17 at approx. 8 p.m.  I checked the bait on Saturday morning.  Logs strewn around, bait gone, and trail cam photos revealed six different bear.  Nothing huge, but here's a couple that aren't too bad.

So what do you think?  Good spot?  Anything you notice that you'd change?  Thanks.
Mike

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Day twelve of baiting and twelve different bear coming in, (including cubs).
One real good size bear.

This guy has been the most consistent.

I've been giving them the same bait now for almost two weeks.  Would you add a bit of variety at this point, or stick with the same?
Mike

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
This is really cool stuff.....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Great Update. Not sure who is more excited. Me or you.

I'm curious about the thought of adding a new bait after you started.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
lay some sticky - smelly scent down on the logs, they will make a trail to attract even more bears, like you need more than 12.....

bacon fat, syrup, a, hazel nut syrup, etc.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks Hummer, syrup it will be.  I baited this morning at 5:30 before work.  I will get some syrup tomorrow and will bait again Thursday morning.  I'm logging bait type vs. bear pics so it will be Sunday to check for any increased number or activity.  I could easily bait every day with how fast they're cleaning out the 10 gallon limit, but with a 30 minute drive one way, the gas would be a bit much.  I will start hitting it every day about two weeks before the opener which is September 3rd.
This bear hunting is a bit of work but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every single second of it!
Mike

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
That big one looks like a beast. Looks like a great set-up, you're having fun and should be pretty exciting come Sept. 3. Shoot straight. BTW, should also make a great story for TradArchers' World mag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©