3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who Hunts Without A Bow Quiver?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Hunts Without A Bow Quiver?
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
I really love how light my Kota Kill-um is and I enjoy shooting it without a quiver attached.  Never shot a bow this way before.  Always had a strap on quiver or a quiver attached to my compound.  Just wondered how many others hunt with a hip or back quiver?  Pics of your quivers appreciated.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Hunts Without A Bow Quiver?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
I used a bowquiver for years. I used a safari tuff for our late season muley hunt. I now have another option  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
I always used a bow quiver. Last year I tried a Catquiver, and really liked it.
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
I have two quivers I really like. One is a Big Jim side quiver and the other is one of his bow quivers that attach with rubber straps. I had been using the side quiver all the time,but went rabbit hunting the other day and crawling over and going through fences I have to admit that I like the strap on quiver a lot better for that type of hunting. I didn't notice any difference in the way I shot,but for the most part I use the side quiver.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
I've tried Catt back and hip but always go back to a bow quiver they are just overall the most user friendly for hunting I even bought a fletch cover last year for inclement weather.
That said,
I got a new big Jim buffalo in December and shooting it without a bow quiver. And I love the feel of it so much I cannot see putting a bow quiver on it . I only hunted with the bow a couple times before seasons end . One trek out I used my cat quiver 6.5 which was fine. Certain things I don't like about the cats. So for X-Mas I got an Arrowmaster. Hunted once with it and was not use to it or had it set right . I plan on the AM being my everything quiver. I just need to figure out a pack set up to use with it. Anyway that's the plan. But I would not put it past me in sept. to be calling big Jim and ordering one of his strap-ons. But so far I'm really liking my Arrowmaster!

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I seem to shoot better with a quiver on the bow, must be the extra mass, however I like a barebow best. Also think that it helps not to get spotted when I move into position..

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Most years the bow quiver is on the bow but it ALWAYS comes off in the tree.

Last season I hunted with one of the Safair Tuff tube back quivers. Again, it was just to carry arrows to and from the blind.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Over the years I have used them all. I still go back and forth between bow quiver, plains and back quiver. All have their good points. bow quiver is so convenient and protects the heads from hitting each other,. Second shots are easy to access with it if needed. However if you like carrying a few more arrows then the back quiver and plains quiver are the ticket plus they do not effect bow performance. The plains quiver is easier in brush than the back quiver. Also for second shots it is much less noticible when withdrawing the arrow. As you can see I am conflicted and when you meet me in the woods no telling what I will be using.
I'm like this with arrows too. I love woods, carbons and aluminums and shoot them all.

God bless, Steve

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
I've gone back and forth. For me, as long as I can learn to shoot with a bow quiver on, it's what I prefer. It's one less thing to carry and try to take on and off of my person. Especially, it seems to me, walking through brush a bow quiver is to be preferred as you only need to maneuver your bow, not a bow and quiver. My gripes with a bow quiver, though, are that it ups your chance of getting busted by game when your flash some fletchings around and that it does slightly affect my shooting and so I need to either have it on all the time or none of the time.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
I sure liked the convenience of a bow quiver and used it often as additional "cover" by holding my bow in front of me and looking through the arrow shafts.
Problem is I just really prefer not having anything on my longbow, so I used an arrowmaster for the last couple of years.   For me, it was just o.k.  Gonna try the absorkee next and continue to resist the urge to just strap the bow quiver back on!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
It's probably not fair to lump all bow quivers together. We make lightweight quivers to carry from one to six arrows. Bow quivers are made in many weights and configurations. We make them for side mounting, limb bolt, or wrapping at the fadeout. We also offer a Totem shaft to connect the hood and gripper (for a one piece unit) and a Wing setback attachment. These allow you to fit your particular bow with a quiver that's convenient, easy to install, and that won't change your bow balance or how it shoots. In fact we guarantee our bow quiver not to adversely affect how your bow feels in hand or how it shoots.

There are pros and cons for all quivers. We make back quivers, side quivers, and pocket quivers also, but no other quiver is as convenient as a lightweight quality bow quiver that's well fitted to the bow.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
I keep my hunting arrows in a quiver, and I keep the quiver on the bow to and from the stand. Never actually hunt with it on the bow though!

Bisch

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
I've never used a bow quiver.  I really like my GFA quiver under my right arm, feathers forward, like a bow quiver on a strap.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
If the weather is good, and I'm planning on walking a lot (scouting), I will use a bow quiver. Most of the more serious hunting trips, I will use my Arrowmaster. Many times I will have a single arrow quiver on my bow and the rest in the arrowmaster.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
I use a dawgware or a homemade Asbell type I`ve had for a long time. I really love the Dawgware been using them since they came out.RC

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Safari-Tuff Arrowmaster.  Lots of different ones before that, homemade and bought.  Tried several times, could never get used to the feel of a quiver on my longbow.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »

my new favorite. It's a Jerry Shriver Whitetail and I absolutely love it!
N/A

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
I love my backquiver.  Once you get used to wearing it and stalking with it, it just becomes second nature.  I think it may actually make you a better ground hunter as it forces you to slow down.

That said, I have used and still do from time to time use a side stalker.  These are excellent quivers and I like them for very thick brush, wet weather conditions or when I want to incorporate a backpack.

3 years ago I purchased an EFA 4 arrow strap on quiver for a sheep hunt.  I was always hesitant to try a bow quiver, I wish I hadn't been.  I think once you get used to it, it is a great addition to the longbow.  the extra mass absorbs vibration and it just feels far better than I had thought it would.

Try a bunch of different styles, there are certainly pros and cons to each.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Its a real conundrum for me, I love the convenience of a bow quiver (Great Northern strap-on, Selway etc.) but if I had a choice to not carry any arrows...I wouldn't.  Often I take my bow quiver off in the tree and hunt with a bare bow.

I use a GFA quiver when not using a bow quiver and a Hill style back quiver for practice and stumping.

A Hill quiver screams traditional and I use one well but do not care for "loose arrows" hunting.  Yes, I now all the tricks to keep them sharp and stationary and yes, my quiver pinches the arrows mid length just like Howard's did.  I also draw my arrows from the side like John Schulz showed me but despite all the hoopla, do not find them optimum for mid-west white-tail hunting from a tree.

Kris

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
I really like shooting and hunting with my Palmer Bow mate elite side quiver. It is very similar to the arrowmaster except in the fact that it is rigid which helps protects arrows in the event of a fall.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©