3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommend a quiver for 3D?  (Read 962 times)

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommend a quiver for 3D?
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
It's been a while since I've posted on here, been busy with school. I've only been shooting trad since last summer, and I haven't gotten much practice this winter. It's my goal this year to practice a LOT more 3D, then hopefully be ready for trad hunting in 2015.

But for now, I need a decent quiver for 3D. My mom got me a cheap one that clips to my belt, but since I'm short it hangs down to my ankle and bounces around too much while hiking through a 3D course. I don't really have a preference on what style the quiver is, as long as it doesn't get in my way too much or dump my arrows out if I lean over.

Thanks!

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommend a quiver for 3D?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Vista quivers are good
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks, I will check them out!

I should have mentioned, price is not a huge issue for me as long as the product is quality.

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
if that's the case get a good leather back quiver
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline dbond85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
It will depend on what you want to spend. There is a lot of different hip quivers out there. I use a northern mist back quiver. It holds to your back nicely and keeps the arrows from coming out, but they cost $199.00. I have also made a few quivers over the years that work fine to. You may want to try that , it can save you some money also.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Check out a hip quiver from Triple Leather Works

[email protected]

Not sure if he has a website.  Ask him for pictures of his three arrow side hip quiver
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline hntngrl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
I was looking at Big Jim's Leather Side Quiver ($109), it looks nice!

On the topic of making my own, I do have an old deerskin leather trench coat that belonged to my husband's grandmother. It has a large stain on it that won't come out, so I can't wear it. But I'm thinking it would make a really nice quiver. It is lined. I wonder if I could just cut off an arm of the coat, cut out a circle for the bottom, and a strip to make a strap. What do you think? The coat is knee length so plenty of leather.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I would select my hunting quiver and use for the 3D as well.
Sam

Offline Steve-ALA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Check Mikes Archery Leather.  He is a Tradgang sponsor and has a website
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I like a side stalker style quiver for 3D and a GFA style for hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
probably wouldn't be very stiff by itself, would want to figure out a way to add a stiffner, like stick some flat stays in between the lining and the leather. If you get on the "How To" section of these forums there are some good threads.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
The Big Jim's Buffalo Hip Quiver would work well. I have one from Steven Catts very similar and it works well. Keeps the arrows out of the way but easily reached, place for a pencil and a few extra points and maybe even a snickers.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by hntngrl:
It's my goal this year to practice a LOT more 3D, then hopefully be ready for trad hunting in 2015.  
The best 3D quiver is the same one your are planning on hunting with.  That would be my 2 cents.  That way when you do start hunting, the quiver and arrow extraction would both be 2nd nature.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline dbond85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Steve Catts makes really nice stuff. I use from time to time a sidekick quiver he makes which I like a lot. He goes on his website as the leathersmith.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Are you against bow quivers? If not, I recommend Eagle Flight

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I understand the need to practice with the same quiver you will hunt with. I do that also but I carry my bow quiver full minus one arrow. These my be my hunting arrows as well. But I carry the arrows for shooting the 3d in a hip quiver. The bow quiver is ok for a one or two arrow shoot, but it is a lot easier for me to load up and shoot from a hip quiver. Replacing arrows in a hip quiver is faster also. Back quivers are neat and you look real cool with it on but when it gets hot outside they are just to uncomfortable for me.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I like this one by Art Vincent. It will last longer than we will. To me the perfect 3-D quiver and he is a sponsor and all around nice guy.

http://archeryleather.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images5.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=12&Itemid=68
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
The best 3D quiver is the same one your are planning on hunting with.  That would be my 2 cents.  That way when you do start hunting, the quiver and arrow extraction would both be 2nd nature.

:campfire:    
Amen to that.  I like the side-stalker type (mine is a Jack Bowers) for large game, small game, 3-D . . . any shooting.  

When you're moving/still-hunting you can keep it close to your side and low.  In a stand hang it beside you.  And with small game you can see which points to select: blunts, judos, broadheads, etc.  You can also put in a foam plug to keep the broadheads from banging together and dulling.  In the snow or rain add a hood over the fletching and you can still pull arrows.

I'm on the right.  

Where are you going to be hunting?  About the second time I dumped my back-quiver crawling under tight undergrowth I was done with that.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Hip quivers work great but good ones cost $100+. Big Jim's and Cedar Ridge both sell nice ones. For 3D/field only,  pocket quivers are inexpensive hard to beat.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Originally posted by hntngrl:
It's my goal this year to practice a LOT more 3D, then hopefully be ready for trad hunting in 2015.  

:campfire:  [/b]
What T said, If ya plan on using a bow quiver get it on there with some arrows in it and just use  a pocket quiver to carry a couple to shoot.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©