3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best fixed blade knife for Whitetail?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Best fixed blade knife for Whitetail?
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Been snooping around TradGang for knife reviews and have found a few good things said out there, but I'm curious what people are using for knives for Whitetail hunting. I'm currently using a Helle Harding- nothing can replace it in my mind- I love it. But I'm looking for something maybe a little smaller. Any thoughts?!?

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best fixed blade knife for Whitetail?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Swafford Knives makes a very nice knife.  He is a sponsor.  I'm sure any of the other sponsors make great knives too.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
My favorite is a Rowen Izula II carried as a neck knife.

But any small, full blade of good steel will do as well.  This isn't rocket surgery.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
Another vote for Swafford Knives. I now have two of them and they are outstanding.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Also vote for Swafford blades,sharpen easy,hold a good edge. They have a good range of sizes.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
I don't what "best" might be but it seems to me that another Helle would be pretty hard to beat.  Few blades can take such a sharp edge.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longbowz:
I don't what "best" might be but it seems to me that another Helle would be pretty hard to beat.  Few blades can take such a sharp edge.
I agree. Dryad (sponsor) sells their knives (either the full knife w/ sheath, or just the blade and you DIY the handle & sheath). They have quite a few smaller blades, and the blade-only options are VERY affordable.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that is comparable quality for the price. But, if affordability is not a major consideration, there are quite a few of our fellow Trad-gangers that make beautiful custom knives that I'm sure are well worth their price when you consider that they are functional pieces of art, with superb craftsmanship.

Don't know if that helps any, but that's my 2 cents, FWIW.
-Tony

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
I'm with Stumpkiller, Izula II is hard to beat.  When you go up into a chest cavity to cut the esophagus I don't know how folks come out with all their fingers using those big blades.  I carry mine in the Kydex sheath w/belt clip. Things hanging around my neck don't get along well with my bowstrings, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Swafford knives for me as well. Dressed/boned out 7 deer one year before touching the blade lightly on a stone. Like the autumn hunter but the fin/feather is a delight to carry as well. Quality knive from a maker who makes them start to finish.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
I really like that fin and feathers model. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to field dressing but I feel like I can get away with something that small for whitetail right? (Feeling like a novice here!)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Doesn't take a large knife to field dress a deer.  I wouldn't have a problem using the fin and feather.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Another question with no definitive answer.  Use what you like, what you can afford, what you have...

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Maybe I should re-phrase the question: what are some good quality fixed blade knives and knife-makers out there that people have used, have pictures of maybe, and want to recommend? Keith you are right- there is no definitive answer here, just looking for some suggestions. Thanks everyone who has commented.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Many good ones out there......best one is a sharp one.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
for 99.999% of all hunting applications anything from a sharpened butter knife to the finest 2500 dollar knife will work the same. 99% of people are just using the knife to gut a deer and that only takes 2 minutes of actual cut time.
 So any knife you like the looks, feel, and style of is going to work great.
  Whe you get into bushcraft, traps, shelters, survival stuff and other hard use knife utilities you need to start thinking hard about what you need a knife to do and its features.
 There are sooo many great knives out there in all price ranges. Its best to get your hands around some and see what fees best to you.
  Me personally i love the esee knives. as mentioned above the izula knife is one of my all time favorites. I carry that knife every day. its a perfect size do almost everything knife that sharpens very fast and easy and will out last me.
  best bet is to hit a couple stores and play with a few and see what you like best.

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
Great points LB_hntr.

I've been looking at Kestrel Knives. They remind me of the Izula knives. Anybody use 'em?

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
My favorite knives are all Bucks! Super easy to sharpen and stay sharp for a long time. My second favorite would have to go to my Mulea knife. The Mulea's are not a well known knife here in the states but the blade is made in Spain and then assembled here or was when I bought mine years ago. Really great knife!
James Kerr

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
For skinning and deboning, you can't beat the Havalon knife with replaceable blades.  Just watch your fingers, they are worst than broadheads!

Field dressing, now that's a different story.   I'd want a small tough blade for that.  Plenty to choose from.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
For the price and quality I think a mora companion is about as good as it gets.

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
A Shrew Skinner really shines.

Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement