3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serrated broad heads  (Read 327 times)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Serrated broad heads
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Any body make a. Glue on hill style serrated head like the maxi head  ?
Dan Breen

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serrated broad heads
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
I think Steel Force used to. Not sure if they do any more, but they make one of the best traditional Broadheads on the market, although you don't hear as much about it as others.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Yeah they did...not on their website now though.

I know a few years ago the folks there would work with you to sorta mix and match components to get you the head ya liked.
..might want to give em a call.

...also a small "chainsaw" file can get you nice results if your pretty set on serrations.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Back in the 50s Hill made them. You could only sharpen them on one side just like Bill Bagwells heads to get the serration. If you sharpened them on both sides the center of the cut would smooth, but with bumpy sides.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Saw a serrated hill on ****.  50 bucks for one. Ouch.
Dan Breen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I would like to say that with standard Hills or my single bevel Hill that I have seen a huge advantage with razor sharp versus file sharpened Hill style with my Grizzly files, but I have not. The old Grizzly file has rounded smooth narrow sides, which can be used like a steel. The filing curf ends with a very abrupt sharp edge, which can create a very keen and fine serration. With softer heads, I have noticed that at times the razor sharp edge can be very dull after going through a deer. While the filed edges seem to have more left after going through a deer. I have noticed this as well with using the flat narrow side of a standard file and pulling the edge up on Zwickeys. A Zwickey with this typed of edge has proved to be 100% effective for us on deer.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
you can make any two blade head serrated with a metal checkering file rather easily.  This is a Gene Wensel tip prior to the WW head and I used home brew serrated Journeyman heads for a bit.  Just do the back 1/2" or so or the width of your checkering file.  The files can be had through Brownells.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
One of the Wensels wrote a TBM article on modifying broadheads with serrations a few years back.  2004ish if I recall.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
If you have a Dremel get some chain saw sharpening stones for it. Use them at least to start the serration on the head. I have killed a lot of game , Elk , deer and bear , with the Eskimos sharpened with just three or four serrations on the back part of the blade. My thought is that these sever every blood vessel that they touch . Anyway they are proven killers. I simply use a small chain saw file to touch them up. Sharpen the head as usual.

God bless, Steve

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip steve. Going to try them on my grizzelys. Vi archer thanks also.  Dan
Dan Breen

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Yup, Steel Force makes a larger 2 blade serrated head. My best friend has used them for years. In fact they have a lifetime resharpening guarantee and he sent some back for resharpening and they replaced them with new ones.  

Extremely sharp heads.  :readit:    

Also, there was a head made in the mid 90's called the 'Raptor'.  Ron LaClair used to sell them. They looked like a red Zwickey, with a Journeyman shape (convex).  

Do it yourself as mentioned above or go the Steelforce route if you want it done for you.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©