3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Show your bow battle scars  (Read 1050 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Show your bow battle scars
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Would love to see some pics and the stories that go along with all the nicks and scratches our bows have been the recipients of over the years that give them the character they have.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Show your bow battle scars
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
No pics, but disheartening pics in my mind.

Chucking arrows way back when with my brother in the woods. He had a repaired arrow that was shorter than others. Somehow we were fooling around and picking on each other when he grabbed my recurve and his short arrow and quickly launched it up through the tree tops to the open sky.

After he released the string we both were looking up where the arrow was heading. Except the arrow never left the bow. In his haste he pulled the arrow off the shelf and it was stuck on the belly side of the riser at full draw! We both freaked; I remember yelling at him "my bow!" and remember head ducking waiting for an arrow explosion. He then drew the string back more and we dislodged the arrow from the riser. It left an arrow point indent/hole   :(  

I don't have that bow anymore.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
wow thats a tough break. I had my first bow it was a bear grizzly just a couple years ago I was out shooting and when done was walking up to the house when my daughter rolled a toy truck infront of me i stepped on it and tripped the bow. skidded across the cement and there are marks to prove it.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
A few years ago I bought this nice 70# Savora one-piece recurve at a show, and left it unstrung in my vehicle during a very hot weekend.  Just before leaving, I thought I would string it up and fling a few arrows, and    :scared:  

Lon Scott

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Fourth shot I took with this bow (purchased from that big auction baysite).  Never made it to battle.      :(    

Heart break as well as bow break.  An original (pre Head or AMF) Red Wing Hunter.  It didn't come with a string and I use B-50 on all my bows.  Pree shooting visual showed no delaminations.

But the most likely culprit or contributor was a dumb split nock that let loose on release.  Don't know which came first, though, as when it went all hell was busting loose in front of my eyes and the nock point on the string may have torn the arrow nock apart as it zipped down?!?     :eek:  

Supposed to look like this - tips you can darn your socks with.  

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
No pictures,but when my new Black Widow longbow came in  the
 mail  I pulled it from the tube  and  stuck the  end in the   ceiling fan.
A scar in the first  five sec out of the tube.
George

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Came home after work one nite  . Looking for by longbow to shoot a few  I couldn't. Find it?  Turned the lights on the back yard and there was my leather bow sock !  In the snow  turns out my daughters. Pitt bull pup grabbed it  chewed  the tip a little.  She didn't like the taste of yew and fiberglass.  Thank god. ,
Dan Breen

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
I was doing a late afternoon treestand hunt for whitetails. Stood until dark, attached my pull-up rope to the bottom tip of my almost new Predator Classic and lowered it to the ground. Pumped down the tree on my Lone Wolf climber. Got to the bottom of the tree, pulled out my flashlight to see where my bow was so I wouldn't land on it when I jumped off the stand... and it wasn't there. Gone! wtf Did my buddy John come sneaking in as I was lowering myself and grab my bow? Hold it. Here's the rope, and it goes right down the trunk... oh no. Usually when you lower a bow it just goes flat on the ground. This time it was standing on it's upper tip leaning vertically along the trunk and I had pumped my Lone Wolf right down the lower limb, which now had all my weight on it so it was twisted like a pretzel between the trunk and those knarly grabber teeth on the LW!!

Pumped back up, flopped the bow down and she sprung right back into shape. It cut a couple fiber glass fibers, but I sanded it out, put some crazy glue on her and put her back to work.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
great stories to a certain extent obviously we hate to beat up our bows but the ones that are still able to be used gives them character

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  

Sorry Treedancer, but I could not help laughing out loud when I read..."I pulled it from the tube and stuck the end in the ceiling fan".
Lon Scott

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Tree Dancer, I think you win the prize... I can understand completely your excitement at getting the new bow and pulling it out of the tube and into the fan.... I'm sure you felt sick!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
No pictures but I traded with my friend for an almost new Wes Wallace Mentor he never shot much. Not a blemish or mark on it.

This deer season I had is on my lap in a ladder stand fiddling with my Arrowmaster bow quiver and it slid off, bounced off of the ladder and landed. It kind of looked funny so I climbed down to find it had unstrung itself. Now the long walk back home for a stringer.

No major damage but a little dent in the base of one limb. I do carry an extra string and stringer now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
This osage selfbow had over 1000 shots through her when this happened.
 Evan Williams and I were discussing drawing methods late one night when he suggested I use my back to get one more inch of draw...

as the old archery adage says..."a bow fully drawn is 9/10th broken".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Yep done the ceiling fan thing with bows and fishing rods. Ouch!
Member NCBA

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
No pics but received a brand new McCullough Fiftyniner from John. Stopped at the Post Office on the way home from work and picked it up. Straight home I went, pulled in the garage and gathered up my tools. If you've ever bought a bow from John, he sets the bar as far as packing goes, screwdriver required. Out of the box it comes, started to string it up with my Selway stringer and the lower limb tip slipped out of the pocket. SLAP!!!! as the limb tip spanks the garage floor and the bow is launched out of my hand. Eventually it comes to rest after bouncing off the side of my truck and scooting across my garage floor. All before I put the first arrow through it.

:knothead:        :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  

Yellow Dog and Treedancer I think you guys tie for the best!
Semper Fidelis

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Yellow Dog I got a little sick to my stomach just reading that! I hope your bow wasn't to damaged.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Years ago I was carrying my custom recurve a friend made for me, while using a machete to cut a walking path through 50 yards of multi flower rose.

I leaned the bow against a sapling to cut about a one inch soft maple down blocking the path. Didn't realize the machete was as sharp as it was. It went through the sapling and struck the bow on the edge mid center of the limb. Took a 1/8 inch gouge in the fiberglass edge of the limb. I sanded the sharp edges of and super glued it.

Bow still shoots fine even after I leaned it against the tailgate and backed over it at a later date.
PBS  Member

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
I used a screw in tree step as a bow hanger. My shrew has a nice little chewed up line right below the top tip. Ive learned to put a little tape on those steps.   :banghead:
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
No scars, but my Toelke Whip survived unscathed the time I rolled my vehicle thrice at 75 mph. I didn't figure it to have survived till the next day when I went to the wrecker and found the bow safe and sound in its bowsock. I was already planning out which bow would replace it.   :readit:
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©