3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: so my new tab came...  (Read 582 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
so my new tab came...
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
been shooting a glove since I was about 12, decided it was time to try a tab. It does seem to give a smoother release, but man it feels so weird! and my accuracy is off with it some, but I think I'll stick with it for a bit and see if that comes back around. Anyone else notice that when making the transition from glove to tab?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: so my new tab came...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Yes, in the beginning it will feel different and your accuracy may change. Going from the tab to a glove (or different glove or tab to another glove or tab) can slightly change your anchor. That will impact accuracy. Even consistency may suffer in the beginning as you adjust to a slightly new, consistently placed anchor.

I switched from a glove after just 2 years and have been very happy the two year's since. Gloves are convenient and work great but I'll never stop using a tab.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
Yes, it felt strange at first, but after I got used to it, I knew I would never go back to a glove.
Sam

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I switch back and forth between a tab and a glove all the time...I prefer a tab for warmer weather hunting but once it cools off I go to a glove

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
I shot a glove for more than 50 years and tried to break into a tab several times over the past several years.  Could never find a tab that felt right until I happened upon a Black Widow.  That tab just works real well for me.  I suppose there are others out there of the same or similar design that would work as well, but I haven't come across them yet.  Regardless, I now shoot both.  Like DD, I like the tab for warmer weather and target shooting but prefer a glove for hunting.  I can put a glove into action  faster and easier without looking at the string.

Sty with it.  The more you use it the more comfortable it will become.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Larry I tried a tab two shots dry fired my bow both times
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
I switch back and forth between a tab and a glove all the time...I prefer a tab for warmer weather hunting but once it cools off I go to a glove

DDave
x2
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Don't be afraid to take a pair of shears or xacto knife to it to make it fit your hand. I always make the finger whole deeper and shorten the length of the tab to fit my odd shaped paws.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
I always shot a tab when shooting my compound. But when I took up trad a tab did not feel right with my  recurve it
Always felt like I was holding the tab more,than the string to keep,it from flying off with the shot. I went to glove and was happy .
But after watching Dale karch shoot with a tab on masters of the bare bow I wanted to try to improve my accuracy. I guess I feel like I pinch nock sometimes. And dale said with the finger spacer it really helped his accuracy. So my new tab should be coming in tomorrow or the next day.
If I can't get use to it ill go back to a glove.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
yep Bob, I picked up on not wanting to loose of a nock fit when shooting a tab right away. That was the first thing I looked at, because generally, when using a glove, I like a pretty loose fitting nock.

Offline Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Never really gave a glove much time but have no issue using tabs, even in colder weather. Just buy one size larger,cut to size and then use a thin wool glove with tab over it in colder weather. Have more trouble getting too cold from sitting too long to draw a bow than cold fingers.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I bought a tab to try a couple weeks ago and I constantly shoot to the right when using the tab and I seem to hear more noise from the bow with the tab, but that may just be in my head.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Like Uncle said, make sure you trim your tab to the minimal length to protect your fingers.  Every tab I've tried has needed some trimming, I think they are sent long so they are never too short.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Uncle Buck:
Don't be afraid to take a pair of shears to make it fit your hand. I always make the finger hole deeper and shorten the length of the tab to fit my odd shaped paws.
Ditto...

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
I shot tabs for a long time until I lost them on the way to the stand. Went to a glove and did not like not being able to feel my finger tips.The glove moving and space put between my finger tips and the glove. I cut a small portion of the tips off and shoot a lot better with the glove now! I still switch back now and then.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I have always used a tab, flirted with a few gloves. I have settled on a cordovan tab. It sends the arrow the same way as my bare fingers. I can do a few shots with bare fingers, so I may or may not use a tab while hunting.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 06:07:00 AM »
I was a glove shooter until I tried the Eichler tab from 3Rs. Immediately liked everything about it.
Almost everything. Took some getting used to how it felt on my hand, but my release and shooting improved, so am getting used to the feel.
I'm going to try the Bateman tab next for the spacer "effect".
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »
As stated before you will probably need to trim it so you can feel your fingertips at your anchor point.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I like to use a Saunders Mono-tab. Trim it as short as possible and it can spin around to the back of your hand and be out of the way until you need it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Stick with it Larry.......there is a reason Target shooters use a tab!!! I always put a hole in my tab for a loop of para cord to go round my wrist.......no more dropped or lost tabs. Give it time and get familiar with it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©