3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camo  (Read 777 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camo
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Maybe because You  SMELLED  Edible??   :saywhat:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Maybe some animals (same spieces) have better sight than others in that same spieces. And maybe some have been educated.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
You dressed up like a zebra in lion country! The lions like zebra.  Add in the fact that you probably tensed up a little, bracing for impact, you are a tasty morsel.
 Did you look into the eyes of the beast?

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by swampthing:
[QB] You dressed up like a zebra in lion country! The lions like zebra.  Add in the fact that you probably tensed up a little, bracing for impact, you are a tasty morsel.

^^^^^^
This...Tell us more about the charge!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Lioness saw you, figured you were bait, and was looking for a guy in a pith helmet with a rifle.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
Turkeys have some of the toughest eyes of any animal in North America. If you set perfectly still you can fool them. But at times they can see you twitch. Camo won't let you get by with much movement and with turkeys they can pick you off sitting perfectly still just like the lion.
true.

and i have had numerous turkeys walk right past me at mere feet without seeing me while wearing ASAT leafy. it was because i was still more than anything.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
I hqave been passing on buying clothing based on camo. I have actually been wearing and buying more solid colors.  I have had great luck in the treestand in solid black/brown.  I want to blend in.  The same reason I wear all black in my ground blind is the same reason I am wearing solids leaning up against a tree.  If you are skylighted and move no matter what you wear you will be noticed.  There used to be a great video out there of Dr Sceery hunting coyotes in a Santa Claus suit and they came right in.  It was his belief color did not matter is was movement that was of concern.
T ZZZZ

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
IMHO, we never think about texture.  I see nylon and cotton twill camo shirts.  Those fabrics are shiny and slick, therefore reflect light.  
I have an A.C.U. shirt that I "ghillied up" just  on top of the arms and shoulders for warm weather.
 Recently I smeared a thin coat of mud (splotches) on the "light" areas of the shirt and pants not covered by the "ghillie stuff".
 The rough texture and dull surface of the mud makes an amazing difference.  I think mud splotches would help any camo clothes.  
I did make a ghillie suit with burlap, the burlap is by far the best ever, the rough texture makes it disappear even at 14 yds.
I like wool too, good texture.  That's why you can't see a plain brown deer, his hair diffuses a lot of light.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
^^X2
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I was sittin on a blowdown in a narrow deep bottom one jan day. We had had a lot of snow and I was in full snow camo with a hill right behind me. Three mature coyotes came by me trotting in their usual hunting gait and each one looked right through me as they continued past my position. Now the really cool part, tailing behind them was a very young pup who abruptly stopped and sat down not ten yds from my position and started to watch everything going on around him from birds to squirrels. Ha he was about as cute as any lil puppy I have ever seen. Don't know if I could have got a shot off or not, but didn't have the heart to try. If he'd been mature would have been different story. Anyway he never did see me, does camo work, I think it does. But again I think it is important that you match your surroundings and stay still!   :thumbsup:

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I agree with a RecurveRookie about texture.  One of my brothers and I were hunting ducks in SD.  We were standing in cattails about 40 yds apart on the edge of a slough...both of us in camo head to toe including face masks.  Birds coming from the other side of him flared often.  From where I was standing, I could clearly see his silhouette even though he was in camoed-out and in high cattails.  It was the smooth fabric of his camo and the way it reflected light.  For that reason, I always try to wear a brushed polyester finish or something with even more texture.  I think this is more important than pattern choice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©