3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows and straightness...  (Read 783 times)

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows and straightness...
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
I have about 3 dozen wood arrows that I recently made and have been working with.  Really like the wood arrows and am a newcomer with wood arrows so have a lot to learn. I've noticed that out of those 3 dozen, very few are actually near perfectly straight.  There is only probably 6 or 7 that I cannot notice any wobble on my arrow spinner.  Just got an arrow spinner so this is the first time that I actually tested the arrows.  I was very surprised to see just how "off" some of them were.  Most seem to shoot well but I was just wondering how straight you actually can get the arrows.  Also can they still be straightened even after sealing them with gasket laquer?  Half are POC and half are Doug-fir.  Thanks in advance!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows and straightness...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
When you build wood arrow, you should straighten them before you seal.  If you do that, they will generally stay straight, but not always.    You can definitely straighten them once they're sealed though.  With woodies, it's always a good idea to check them regularly, especially once you start shooting broadheads.

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
If you watch high speed film of an arrow shot from a bow, the arrow bends and wiggles a lot at the shot.  Often, the arrow bends once around the bow, and is in free-flight before the fletching passes the bow (bounces off the bow).  If the arrow recovers quickly, and your arrows are consistent, accuracy should be good.  It's more important for the point (especially broadhead), and the rear (fletching) to be true to each other.  Doesn't so much matter if the middle wiggles around.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
My shafts are straightened three times before they get the finish coats.  Out of the box, again a week later, and again after tapering.

Then, after the finish coats, a fourth time before fletching.

I have excellent results with Surewood Douglas fir shafts (Braveheart).  I have one, maybe two in a dozen that require any effort and in a gross of shafts not one cull.  MUCH better than recent cedars for straightness.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I made a spinner and by accident used the Ace roller straightener while the arrow was on the spinner.  The cabinet latch rollers are placed low enough on the board to allow the use of the Ace straightener while the arrow is checked and re-checked until it spins straight and true.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=114434
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
If you start out with good shafts it makes it a lot easier to have success in making straight arrows. All the shafts I get from Surewood I go through and usually just have to "hand straighten". Then as I go from shafts to finished arrows I will check and re-check for straightness until they are sealed and ready to fletch. I believe douglas fir, because of the harder growth ring, has the ability to hold it's form better than cedar.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Cory, This is Bob from Surewood Shafts. I can tell you that I have literally spun and hand straightened many thousand shafts over the last seven or eight years. My partners will verify that I probably have a fetich about straight arrows. I looked to see if you are one of our customers and I didn't see your name on our contact list. Honestly it is  rare to find a perfectly straight  shaft right out of our machines, but fir does straighten quite easily. We cull out over 50% of the wood that comes into our shop to get the most perfect shafts we can for our customers. All of the advise from the above posts is very good and should help you get the shafts(arrows) you want. Good luck!!,  Surewood Bob
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
All the doug fir I have used is from Surewood. I don't think I even check them for straightness anymore. I match them for grain weight and spine, taper the fletch area and start dipping.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:44:00 AM »
Before every shoot I spin the arrows on the palm of my hand. If I notice any wobbling, I straighten  them with a screwdriver. Here you have a great tutorial Guru once wrote:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000060  
Once you got the hang of it, it is very easy to do, even with fletched arrows.

Keep in mind that wooden arrows bend easily, just by taken them out the target the wrong way or even due to impact.  That's why I always check if  the arrows I take out for a shoot are straight.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:00 AM »
Here's a link to a couple of videos I did a few years ago.  This method works well whether the shafts are 15 or 115# as well as for finished arrows.  Good luck.

ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Once you get used to using wood arrows it comes natural to sight down the arrow and flexing it with your hands to remove any slight crook if needed. For me it is just part of the process and keep me connected with my equipment. I also give a quick inspection of the condition of the arrows. I like knowing that I am in control of my equipment rather than depending on a homogeneous material to be perfect every time.
 I got into primitive and traditional archery to get away from the "easy way" and get back into the pleasures of simple archery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I always felt that spine tolerance helped more than anything on wood arrows.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
After seeing your video Rob I look at the tips more now when spinning. Can get'em even straighter than before.

I have broken too many trying by hand.

Good vid.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Amen to Breaking them by Hand!! Reckon I dont know Me Own Strength!    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
I think ideally straighter is better
Howeve I think at stickbow ranges fletching covers many imperfections.
As mentioned , watch hi speed film.

Also many early hunters killed animals with arrows you could shoot around corners with.
I think many of us worry waaaaay too much about things.
If youre like me, form and a poor release will hurt more than a slightly crooked arrow:)
Slickhead

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
If the point and nock line up and the arrow spins true it can have some snake to it. Bernie Dunn has a snaky arrow I made and gave him. Even though that arrow has a good size snake in the point end it still flies true. I wouldn't hunt with a snaky arrow because the penetration would be impeded but at the target line you get lots of funny looks until they see it fly true to the bulls eye.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Pat is right on point and says it all.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
I typically do very little straightening unless the point and nock ends are off....   straighten them when raw....and check while staining and before sealing.

Even an arrow that is not PERFECT as carbone or aluminum will fly great and kill an animal...

Dont over think it...within reason.  Just enjoy the process.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline green valley gobbler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Some great advice here.  Bob, no I've never owned any Surewoods but will look into them in the future when I need more arrows which may be sooner than later.  I know many on here really speak highly of the Surewoods.  I was just wondering how straight we could actually get an arrow and if they could be straightened after sealing.  Making the transition from aluminum to wood has been really enjoyable for me and I enjoy making each arrow.  Can't beat a wood arrow in flight either!  Thanks again for all the replies!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Ya got that right, and Now ya got the Woodie Fever!! Good For You!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©