3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lite Weight Pack Knifes  (Read 790 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lite Weight Pack Knifes
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the light weight scalpel type knives that are out on the market.  Folding lock blade style with the ability to replace blades.   The one I have seen is the
Havalon Piranta-EDGE.  They seem like a pretty practical way to go.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lite Weight Pack Knifes
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
The Edge is the one I have and I LOVE IT!!!!!!  It's always in my pack along with a small pair of pliers and a couple replacement blades.  I skinned four deer and deboned one this year and it's still plenty sharp.  

The only bad thing I could say is that you can't put a huge amount of sideways force on the blade or it will break.

They are stupid sharp and the edge lasts a lot longer than I had expected.  I'll never be without one.

Just be careful, you won't even know you cut yourself until you see blood!       :biglaugh:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Great little knives for the price. I have a couple. I use them at work more than for hunting but they would work fine for field dressing. Have extra blades handy. I break one every now and then.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Piranta is great!  Able to gut, skin and bone 1 or 2 deer without needing blade change.  As said, be careful as they are silly sharp and can break with too much sideways pressure.  I also have my multi-tool in my pack in case I need to change one.  The thought of changing without scares me.     :scared:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
Good call on the multi-tool. Slippery with fat and blood makes blade changing a little dicey.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Catch Steve Rinella on Meat Eater some time and you'll see how impressive these replaceable blade knives are.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
I carry one---bright orange so if I set it down I don't lose it and I love it, ditto on the use of a multi-tool to carefully change blades.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Great knives. Used for the first time this year. Scary sharp.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I have considered getting an order of these in. I can get any of the models as well as the blades.
If you are interested, let me know and I will place them on my next order.
Thank you.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I may have to pick one of these up. I've never been a connoisseur of fine knives, just give me something simple and sharp.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
A client of mine had one on a hunt a couple years back and I was rediculously impressed with it as we cut up 2 mulies without a blade change. He bought me one the next week. Another super benefit I haven't seen mentioned. Is it's weight. For backcountry hunts like we do out here. They weigh next to nothing.

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I used the Havalon Piranta on my elk this year. I wish that I had bought one a long time ago. Also hard to beat for caping heads out.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I also carry a small plier for changing blades.  Just the thought of my hand slipping while removing the blade scares me.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Really guys?
Grab a cheap Mora knife.  They usually come very sharp at under $15. With a flat stone, and minimal knowledge, you can use it your whole life.  I used my Mora 546G for 3 seasons, went through 4 deer, sharpened it once (took about a minute on my patio railing with a DMT red diamond), and it's still shaving sharp (bevel knives are great that way).  Still carrying that knife.  I have a new companion (another Mora knife, military contract), it'll probably serve until I die. Total cost, under $25, performance worth about a million bucks.  There are red and orange handled versions too. Carbon steel 511s are less than $10, and will last a lifetime if cared for. Very popular with the bushcraft crowd.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
buy one or more, you won't regret it.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I have the piranta, used it for the first time this year and love it.  Made skinning my deer fast and easy.  Going to buy myself a back up
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
maybe im old fashioned, but the thought of a replaceable blade knife is somewhat worry some to me..when i pick up a knife i would want my blade to be nice and solid and stable. so im gonna side with kagross in getting a good sharp solid bladed knife to use. my favorite for dressing game is my gerber..its sharp steady in the hand and easily sharpens (i dont remember where i picked it up at or for how how much) but ive beaten the snot outta it and it still cleans up good as new, although it needs new scales as the ones on it broke (cheap plastic/rubber grip that froze and cracked    :banghead:  )then i have an elk ridge knife that i keep scary hair popping sharp for finer tasks and condor bushlore for anything that needs a little more convincing/force...out of all of them im prolly gonna replace the condor because i dont like the grind or handle set up but it was a gift so im not complaining. otherwise i dont like the idea of carrying blades for my knife...seems kinda  odd to me. but thats just my $.02
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Havalon Piranta, love it. Cleaned many deer and an elk with mine and once you use one you will recommend them to all your friends.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
I've watched Meat Eater (the only "hunting" show I watch and am intrigued by the knife. I admit I'm old fashioned myself  but if you have to carry extra blades and a leatherman as suggested to change where is the benefit? If your bowhunting on a back country trip your probably already caring some type of sharpening tool. A quality made knife properly sharpened is a impressive tool if well handled so I just question the replaceable blade concept.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Lethalflight57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Opinion over replaceble blades versus rigid, blade design, durability, length, handle/grip etc. are what makes us all individuals when it comes to preference. I own many knives and they all have a purpose. The Havalon Piranta (and its new big brother folder) with the ease of having a sharp blade without having to resharpen is awesome.  I love mine!  On any hunt where reducing weight is a concern (or not) Havalon rocks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©