3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo backed hickory  (Read 457 times)

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo backed hickory
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Who makes a plain jane bamboo backed hickory longbow at a decent price
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo backed hickory
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
I think you can get one from 3-Rivers. It may be one that you have to finish though....Or not. I'm not sure.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
IMO, hickory isn't a good belly wood for a boo backing. Hickory is very strong in tension but only moderately strong in compression. Bamboo is very strong in tension and can easily overpower the hickory belly causing excess set if not worse.
 I know folks have made boo backed hickory bows but for best results I'd go with ipe, osage or yew belly for a boo backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I have made three BBH bows, no problems so far and they performed much better than I thought they would. I made mine 1 1/4" wide with semi round bellies just like I make BBOs. All of these bows were rebuilds of really poorly built hickory bows with poor tillering and tons of string follow.

I narrowed these boat paddle bows, glued in a lot of reflex and narrowed the tips a good bit.

Bottom line, I opened my mouth about how poorly made these bows were within earshot of the owners and they asked me if I could fix them for them, which I did. Lots of work,I could have made two bows in the time it took me to fix each of these bows, for free. I will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Try Rudderbows.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Eric, that says a lot about your skill and the durability of hickory. I'm surprised but happy to hear it. It has always worried me that boo backed hickory bows were offered to mostly new bowyers because they are cheap and relatively easy to make. The first ones I ever saw came from a dealer that I considered unethical to say the least.
 Boo is such a "sexy" backing for bows that everyone has to have one. I love the looks and performance of boo backed bows but have been disappointed in the durability of the boo. I prefer hickory backings because they are way more durable, give good performance and are a lot easier to work with, almost fool proof for a beginner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
I have one made by maddog but my friends son wanted to use it and as long as he's enjoying it I can't bring myself to ask for it back,thanks for all the suggestions

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I make my bamboo backing almost knife edged, every bamboo blank I have seen for sale had what looked like unthinned bamboo on the back, very thick. One vendor at a large shoot was selling bamboo backed osage blanks for $150 that had at least 1/4" of bamboo thickness showing on the sides all the way to the tips.

Several people I knew got excited about possibly buying one of these blanks and making themselves a bamboo backed osage bow. I told them to steer clear of them as they were mass produced for quantity not quality.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©