3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 under noise  (Read 332 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under noise
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I've read a number of threads with various opinions but I'd like to get a few more.  I'm wanting to try three under for a bit but I'm curious about the noise.  I've read that it can be louder and I'd like some feedback on different experiences.  I raised the nock point about a nock to a nock and a half width up.  I have dual string nocks.  I don't know that it's actually any louder or I'm just expecting it to be.  Are there other tuning things to consider as well?  Is it related to finger pressure being different than split?  Lots of questions but hoping to take advantage of the vast group experience around here.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Re: 3 under noise
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
I shoot split fingered and every bow I have ever shot 3-under has had a way different sound. I'm not 100% sure it is that much louder, but it is definitely different and annoying, and my brain thinks it is louder.

Bisch

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I shoot split fingered and every bow I have ever shot 3-under has had a way different sound. I'm not 100% sure it is that much louder, but it is definitely different and annoying, and my brain thinks it is louder.

Bisch
X2.
I switched back to split just because of the sound.  Must be how I hold the string, release, etc. because there are LOTS of great three under shooters without an issue, but it sounded like I dry fired my bows shooting 3under.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
A split finger tillered bow will have more vibration when shot three under. This is because the links will be out of time/balance from each other. A bow tillered for three under will be just as quiet as a split finger tillered bow.

Some guys compensate by moving the knock point higher.

Cory

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
I also take into consideration what finger/fingers the shooter puts most of his pressure on. What I'm shooting for is perfect knock travel when pulling on the string where the shooter grips the string.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
Switched to 3 under last year noticed a little more noise might just be from a cleaner release most of my arrow flight problems if any went away since switching can't see myself going back anytime soon some bows especially mild longbows didn't get any louder getting on target quicker and smaller groups was worth the switch for me good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Experiment with your brace height. In my limited experience, a bow tillered for split can be shot just fine 3 under with a raised brace height. Better yet, try 2 under...
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »
I have shot 3 Under for years, I dont notice any difference in Noise. From the String or from the Release Itself? There are ways to Quiet Everything!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  The first question for me is whether it not there actually is a difference of if I'm just expecting it.  I may get someone to stand near me blind to which way I'm shooting and tell me which sounds louder/quieter.  Second, I'll try moving the brace height some.  I feel like I'm able to hold at full draw and release more cleanly (a more relaxed draw hand I think) so I'm hesitant to just give up on the experiment.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
All of my bows are tillered for split finger shooting and while they tune just fine for three under (require a higher nock point) they are all louder when shot that way.

They are only slightly louder though and if you are getting more accuracy with three under that would trump the little bit of extra noise if I were choosing.  Accuracy is everything in my opinion.

My trouble with three under is I can't seem to do it without ripping up the side of my face and nose.  I can't get the hang of it for some reason, maybe from shooting split for so long.  I do like the solid and quiet "thump' of my bows shooting split.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I've shot 3 under for many years with bows tillered both ways. You can get the bow very quiet just takes some tinkering with brace height, type of string, and silencer placement. Obviously, shooting a heavier arrow helps.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
My 2 cents worth...one of the best explanations I've read about the need for moving the nock point when shooting 3-under on bows tillered for split was on another trad site and copied from a third. When changing from split to three under you are slightly changing the relative loads on the upper/lower limbs by changing finger position on the string, thus "centerline" of your draw.  The easiest way (and only way on non-ILF)to counteract this is moving the nock point up a bit. This is all most folks have to do and some don't require that. I think this largely explains the recent popularity of ILF, because you can adjust limb tiller to compensate for your individual shooting style.  Most ILF 3-under shooters don't know what noise problem we're talking about. It did not help the additional noise in my case. When I shot split most of the pressure was on my index & middle string fingers of my string hand. When I went to 3-under, I inadvertently put more pressure on the ring finger, which can cause problems. I also tucked my thumb over my little finger.  While this arguably caused some tension to curl your hand, I found it natural with split as the thumb knuckle settled under my jawbone for a second anchor. This didn't work well for me with 3-under.  I was inadvertently pulling the string outside its plane of travel, increasing noise and vibration. I had to go back to an open/relaxed string hand, thumb up, pinky out, hand vertical and flat against my face.  Oddly, this is the way I originally learned to shoot and everybody says I have Fred Bear's string hand (that may be all we have in common, lol).  Your mileage may vary, but my bow noise now is comparable to split, and I'm infinitely more accurate with 3-under. I think the latter problem was also partly due to the fact that I shoot a glove.  I believe tabs tend to equalize finger pressure issues.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
I agree with olddogrib. In my experience I have found that shooting split finger hits a sweet spot where everything is in line, pressure equalizes, and the nock travels straight. Your hand must be on this part of the string so you have to raise your nock above that level. This causes a tuning problem that is much easier to solve if you shoot off an elevated rest. I also did not understand what a dual nocking point was for until I tried this. Your nock is no longer going to be in line with the string angle and the bottom nocking point will make sure it travels straight and doesn't slip down the string.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©