3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is 40# enough for whitetails?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is 40# enough for whitetails?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
With a  SHARP  Broadhead, and a Well Placed Shot, You bet 40# will take a Deer Down! The  Closer  You are to the Deer, the Better though!! Long Distance, even out of a Treestand I would be leery of, but if you are a Ground Hunter  :thumbsup:  , You will have Venison on the Table My Friend!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
No worries on my end, Traxx.  My wife used to be a horse trainer and worked on reining and cutting horse ranches.  One of the cutting horse ranches had bison, and I got to work the bison with cutting horses occasionally.  I know what a horse can do with a bison.  Also know what a bison can do to a horse.  Debate is good, and no disrespect is intended on my end.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
No, you need 70lbs to kill a deer.    :D

Did you know that the word "forty" is Ojibwe for "overkill"?    ;)

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
Yeah,
My uncle raised range Bison..He got to where he hated em.Said they turned him from being a Buckaroo,into a professional fence fixer.LOL
He said he didnt have a horse that could keep up with em for much over 100 yrds.In fact it was this statement,about 40 yrs ago,that piqued my interest and curiosity of how it was done,in the old days and started me on my research of it.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
Yeah,
My uncle raised range Bison..He got to where he hated em.Said they turned him from being a Buckaroo,into a professional fence fixer.LOL
He said he didnt have a horse that could keep up with em for much over 100 yrds.In fact it was this statement,about 40 yrs ago,that piqued my interest and curiosity of how it was done,in the old days and started me on my research of it.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:00 AM »
I'd rather be missed   :scared:    by an arrow from a 50+ pound bow, then hit   :knothead:    by an arrow from a 40 pounder!  It all comes down to arrow placement   :banghead:   Barn/deer with a 50+. Than the 40 IS the better choice!!! starting to sound like that other board stick something....   :deadhorse:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Sorry for getting off topic and derailing this thread.
Ill contribute a story,that i have shared on many a thread of the same topic....

The man,who was 1 of my main mentors in archery,when i was young,used a 40 lb bow to take more Mulie,Blacktail and Mulie Blacktail crosses,than i could possibly remember.He filled his families freezer as well as those of 2 other families yearly,for many years.The thing is,he only drew it to about 35lbs.I never knew of him ever losing  any in all those years to his bow weight.There is a lot more to successful  huntin,than just droppin the string.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
Sorry for getting off topic and derailing this thread.
Ill contribute a story,that i have shared on many a thread of the same topic....

The man,who was 1 of my main mentors in archery,when i was young,used a 40 lb bow to take more Mulie,Blacktail and Mulie Blacktail crosses,than i could possibly remember.He filled his families freezer as well as those of 2 other families yearly,for many years.The thing is,he only drew it to about 35lbs.I never knew of him ever losing  any in all those years to his bow weight.There is a lot more to successful  huntin,than just droppin the string.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Yes, but I don't think I'm good enough to pull it off.  I would make sure my arrow was a good weight, and probably a 2 blade broadhead.  There are lots of real experts on this site.....I'm still new.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©