3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear scoring?  (Read 670 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear scoring?
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Iam in the process of planning a trad. shoot at Greeley Archers outdoor range. I'v shot a couple shoots that used Fred Bear scoring. Can someone explain the scoring for me? Don't remember.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear scoring?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
10 and 8 as usual. -5 if you hit the animal elsewhere, and 0 if you miss.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
When I've been to shoots that do Fred Bear scoring it's been 5 for a kill shot, -5 for anywhere else in the animal and 0 for a miss.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
The ones around here are 10,8,-5,0.

Those minus fives can make a scorecard look REAL ugly!

Bisch

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
When we shooting and keep score at a club in CT we use 10 for a kill (8 or 10 ring) and -5 for a non kill shot (anywhere outside the kill zone) and 0 for a clean miss.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
There probably is an "official" Fred Bear scoring, but in reality it only matters that you get a good, positive score for a kill shot, a hefty, but not excessive, negative for any other hit, and zero for a miss.  We use a 5,3,1 scoring on 3D's for a "normal" shoot.  If we go Fred Bear, it's 5,3,-3,0.  Basically, we make a heart shot good, a lung shot can be offset with a body shot, and zero for a clean miss.  Pick numbers that make you happy.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
If you really want to hear some complaints, I shot a shoot once with a 5,3, -10 for a wound and zero for a miss. Makes for some interesting conversation. Only shoot I ever won with a negative score
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I would avoid having a shoot with this type of scoring.  I think you are setting yourself up for unhappy archers and a lack of "fun".
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
I would avoid having a shoot with this type of scoring.  I think you are setting yourself up for unhappy archers and a lack of "fun".
Classic example of difference of opinions.  Many of us like this method of scoring.  To enjoy it, you do have to check your ego at the door and accept that you aren't shooting for a high score but for a learning experience and fun.  It does emphasize that kills are good and wounds are bad and can add some seriousness to your shooting focus.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Gotta' go with Fletch IMO.
We have a FB shoot coming up in a coupla' weeks.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Britt at range in Golden and at range in  evergreen it's 12, 10, 8 and -5 and zero for a miss.  Is your shoot going to be open to public?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
I like the survival shoots, ten targets, one arrow, one point for an arrow in foam, shoot until you can no longer find your arrow or it is no longer shootable.  First trick is to locate the target from the stake, unually just a piece of something sticking out from a rock or tree.  If it is a full target it is usually at a pretty good distance.  Winning scores are usually 5-6 points.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
We sometimes use a +1 for a kill judged by your group and a -1 for wound, 0 for a miss. On a 30 target course it can be a real eye opener. And with the right group of guys.......a real blast!! Don't even have to take your shoes off to add'em up sometimes......   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »
we ran some shoots with -5's--boy the crying was unbelievable!!and when we suggested passing up shots and taking a zero if they were unsure of the shot--they took to yelling!!!of course I've seen guys cheat to "win"$6.00 trophies!!
IMO its a great way to teach restraint in the field--maybe less than perfect shots should be passed up!
Mike

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
yea we had more complaining than you would believe at the last shoot we used this scoring on. Personally, i really like it and would use it on every shoot if it was my decision. But i go to shoots as practice for hunting and to BS with buddies.. . one thing with these type of shoots is you have to keep the targets at decent hunting ranges and situations, if your gonna score it like a hunting shot,and i do agree that taking a zero on a iffy shot should be encouraged.. but few will do it
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by bamboo:
we ran some shoots with -5's--boy the crying was unbelievable!!and when we suggested passing up shots and taking a zero if they were unsure of the shot--they took to yelling!!!of course I've seen guys cheat to "win"$6.00 trophies!!
IMO its a great way to teach restraint in the field--maybe less than perfect shots should be passed up!
Funny post. I would think in the spirit of the thing most people would at least give it a try. I know my group would no matter how hard or ridiculous the shot was.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
I shot a shoot years ago that tried this type of scoring.  After a couple of targets I would look at it and if it was not a shot I'd take hunting, I'd pass and say give me a zero.  I was the only shooter with a positive score at the end of the round and was accused of cheating.  When I explained that I only took shots that I would take in hunting the shoot organizers said I had to shoot at every target.  I withdrew and went home.

If you are training folks to not wound make sure you let them not shoot if they don't want too on a target.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
We've been considering using the same type of scoring at our club in a tournament shoot.

These are the first draft of rules

1.  Tournament will be head-to-head, single elimination, 20 shots on 10 targets per round.
2.  Scoring, 8 points for vitals hit, -5 points for non-vitals hit, and 0 for a miss.
3.   Both shooters will choose one shot per target.  The opposing shooter will shoot from the same spot or pass deciding not to shoot.  A pass will be scored as a miss, but will be recorded for a tiebreaker.
4.  Tiebreakers: a.  lowest number of non-vitals hits  b. lowest number of passes
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
"I know my group would no matter how hard or ridiculous the shot was."
mine too red--but there wouldn't be a whimper either!!we all know who's "fault" a low score is!!
and take full responsibility for horrible scores!!HAHA!!

bartcanoe --maybe I don't understand

3. "Both shooters will choose one shot per target
with shooters choosing shots "

-unsafe conditions are sure to occur-

-we use stations delineated with stakes-shoot must be in contact w/stake
Mike

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Mike

Two shooters will compete head-to head.  Shooter A will pick a spot to shoot from, Shooter B would then take a shot from the same spot or pass.  Shooter B would then pick a spot to shoot from, Shooter A would take a shot from the same spot or pass.

I don't see a safety issue perhaps I need to clarify the rule.  The rule is trying to instill a sense of discretion in shot selection.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©