3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morning or evening hunter - what are you?  (Read 834 times)

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morning or evening hunter - what are you?
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
I have morning stands and eve. stands I hunt when ever I get a chance and I will hunt all day. I might change stands and I might stay in the same stand all day, alot depends on the situation. One thing for sure you arent going to kill anything laying in bed or siting in the truck. If I get off work in time I am an eve. hunter, If I can come in to work late thin I am a morning hunter, if I can get the day off I will hunt all day. I will say this I have been deer hunting for 38 years and I have killed more deer in the morning. The 4 bigest bucks I have killed I have killed between 12 noon and 2:00 p.m. and have killed several deer in the very late after noon. HUNT WHENEVER YOU GET A CHANCE AND YOU WILL KILL MORE DEER. Anytime is a good time.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Am's.  But will hunt all day if I can  during rut.
Just like mornings better.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Mostly all of my hunts are in the evenings. Deer activity seems more then.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
I am not a morning person.  I MUCH prefer to hunt evenings, or...late mornings, like 9:00 on.  I have seen plenty of bucks mid day.

Amazing how  most people on the poll hunt at a certain time frame and see most of their big bucks during that very same time frame !
ChuckC  :knothead:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Monday-Friday I hunt the evening
Saturday's I hunt all day

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Bowdude, I definately agree with you that hunting in the am is a lot harder and I'm sure I've educated a few deer in my day. I spend way more time thinking and planning my morning stands, and the routes to get to them, than pm stands. Like others have said, the am experience is worth the tradeoff.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
If your are not hunting you are not learning.  I hunt both.  While hunting whitetails we have stands and blinds for both morning, evening, and different winds.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline LAWYER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Morning and afternoon; normally mornings at 6:30 we are already in our ground blinds; afternoon at 3:30 PM we are back in place. The best we have taken are afternoon bucks.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
over here in NZ any time.  :archer:  when i get out
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
In Utah our bow season starts in middle August. So I hunt in the morning when it is cool. I also hunt in the afternoon and evening, when ever I can. Just love beening outdoors.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I hunt evenings. I just got back from a 'kind of'hunt. A paint stallion got in with my mares; and I spent nearly three hours; and walked about 4 miles rounding them up - etc. In the process; as they are on the river for pasture; I saw a load of deer. The horses really work well for driving deer.  :(
 I got back just now; at 9:30. If I wanted to get up; feed the dogs and get to a spot to hunt; I would get little- if any- sleep.
 So- for me its a matter of what is practical. I am not and have never been: a morning person. I love mornings; and enjoy them at least 4 or 5 times a year!  :)
 I will hunt in the afternoon and evening every day of the month long hunt; but going to bed late( I don't hit the pillow and fall to sleep) and getting up early: is not my cup of tea.
  I have seen a lot of elk and deer this season; and even hunted one morning !!
  But I am an evening hunter; and I rarely am punished for it.
  I have a new computer and for whatever setting; I cannot hit the poll buttons and go anywhere; and ditto for the instant gremlins..
  If I could have voted it would have been for evenings..
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
All day. I've killed some of my deer at 11am-1pm. Of course I've also had success in the morning and the evening.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
I hunt as much as possible. I never miss a morning
when I am able, or an evening. Midday if I am able.

Overall deer sightings are best in the evenings,
but the best bucks I have seen and taken have been in the mornings. During the late season, almost no one hunts in the morning, and the deer have learned this. This is when almost all my hunting is morning only.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
BOTH AND ALL DAY.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
I just love those 945am till 3 pm days..or maybe sit till dark from ten..
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I hunt both.  I hate waking up early, and tracking after dark is tough so they both have their disadvantages.  Sometimes I'll go in mid-morning, got my first bow-buck that way (overslept that time).  Behind my house if I go in before light all I do is push the deer that have been feeding in my yard and fields and they don't come back for the evening hunt.  If I go in after light I can catch the deer returning from a nearby alfalfa field, nibbling on acorns as they go.  Depends on the situation and the terrain (to quote my marine Dad).

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I hunt both and all day when I can. Prefer morning as trailing at night is frustrating for me as I don't pick up blood as well as I once did.
 From end of Oct.-Thanksgiving try to spend all day when I can.Late season I prefer morning as it seems that deer move more when it warms up some.
 Regardless I hunt when and as long as I can.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
I like hunting either, but hunting in the evening always feels to me like I'm fighting the clock.  In the morning, I can relax into the woods and enjoy stuff, but hunting within a few hours of dusk, I'm always more tense than I ought to be.

It's dumb but as the huntable light slips away, it's like I'm constantly fighting the urge to 'hunt faster'.  Heh.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I can't honestly vote on this one. Some years i do better in the mornings and some years i do better in the evenings. I'm usualy in the woods whenever i feel like it and just love to watch the sun come up in the mornings. I bump deer all the time in the dark and yes, it bugs me, but i don't hunt them anyway. I catch the next group that come through and the stagglers that pass by in the middle of the day. Time flys by while on the stand for me and anymore if its pooring down the rain, well i'm on the porch or by the fire...
I don't hunt in the rain much anymore due to aches and pains.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Ham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
I didn't think the question limited you to one or the other.  I prefer evening; however, I'm also out there mornings and all day at times.  I think my deer sightings are pretty equal between mornings and evenings, but there is no question that I see more big bucks in the mornings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©