3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nocking points  (Read 782 times)

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
Nocking points
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of using a nocking point made with serving vs. a brass nock. I see a lot of people using the serving string but, It seems easier to use a brass nock for making adjustments.  What do you guys use?
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nocking points
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
String nock spins up and down very easy to adjust. Also lighter. I had trouble with the brass ones and tightness messing up accuracy.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
For me its a convenience thing.  I always have some serving thread, dental floss, or string material lying around that I can make a nock out of.

I was never good at removing brass nocks without sometimes damaging serving.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Depending upon how you shoot the brass one can be abrasive on the inside of the index finger or top of middle finger. It can also damage the face, nose.

The reason NASP® doesn't allow the brass NL for its 2.5 million kids each year is because, while extremely rare, it can come off, hit the riser, and bounce back in the eye. A 4-H shooter lost an eye several years to this. Of course that was a result of a careless install.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by TRAP:
For me its a convenience thing.  I always have some serving thread, dental floss, or string material lying around that I can make a nock out of.

I was never good at removing brass nocks without sometimes damaging serving.

DD
I agree with Trap, I've runied a few servings, removing the Brass Nocks. There are some great videos posted on a tie on Nock.  One trick I've found that I like, is to use a meterail larger than your serving diameter, when you tighten it up, is doesn't seperate your existing Serving. I've been using .030 Halo serving very successfully.

:thumbsup:

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I agree with Gator1 the .030 Halo is some good stuff for making a tie on nock and the "plus" side is you can adjust it up and down as needed...

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm gonna try tying a nocking point one of these days but meanwhile I use brass. They work fine but ONLY with the proper tool and there's only one of those:

Crimping tool

Kinda pricy but no more than a roll of Halo. You can install perfect nocks every time without overcrimping and smashing the serving. And the best part is you can loosen, remove, and re-tighten without damaging or even leaving a mark on the serving or the nock.

You also need to have the right size nock points. I find mediums work on my 8 strand SBD's perfect. Nice and round with closed ends and no burrs or sharp edges.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
I agree with all the above as far as simplicity for adjustments  and easier on the serving.
Also you will pick up some speed and they are quieter at the shot too.
One other plus to tie ons is less damage to gloves and tabs. Brass nocks if the seam is not lined up perfectly will make an edge that can tear up a glove or even a tab.
A spool of serving is so handy anyway.   :)

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
I was a brass nock user until I recently spent the big money on a American Leathers bigshot glove.  After about 50 shots I noticed discoloring on the bottom of the index finger ( I shoot split) from where the nock was rubbing and decided it was time to try the tie on nocks to keep from ruining it.  My last glove wore out due to this same rub mark.  I like how they work.  Can twist them up and down when tuning and also seem to get a cleaner release.  I won't go back.
-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
Brass nock you NEED a tool & store bought nocks,& adds weight to string.
I've made string nocks from all sorts of string ,fishing line , dental floss, kite string,  parachute cord inner line, old bow string strands ...   :readit:   ... almost any thing you have.
I always use 2
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
I tie most of mine with dental floss, Besides all of the reasons above there is also the "cool" factor.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
I switched to string because the brass nock was tearing a hole in my shooting glove

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I agree with canuck4570 This is the easiest and best working tie on there is that I've tried. Watch the vidio and it's apiece of cake!
Denny

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
B50 is great nock tying material.  Save an old string and you will have a lifetime supply of it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
I love using old string material. Smaller, looks better, less wear and tear, not tools, and i like to use one on top and one on bottom.

Offline bbold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I've had two strings break over time and I beleive it was from using brass nocks

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I've never ordered any brass nocks because I'm wildly impatient and I always have a spool of B50 or an old string laying around. Not to mention, I kinda get a kick out off knowing that I tied the nocking point on.
Live and let live.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 02:02:00 AM »
One thing to be careful of when tying on the nocking point is. If you use super glue to keep it in place not to let it soak through the serving.

I made that mistake and had two great strings break right at the tie on. I found out later when I mentioned it to the gent who made the strings that the drip can cause a hard spot in the string causing it to break.
Thankfully my mistake was covered under the warrentee. I now use a brass knocking point and have not had a problem with breakage.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:31:00 AM »
At one time I was a Big Fan of the Crimp on Brass Nock Points, that was until I  CUT  my Bowstring trying to get the dang thing  OFF!!   :scared:    :knothead:    I learned Real Fast how to  TIE  a Nock Point on and have never looked back!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©