3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neos 36" Trekkers for use in Alaska?  (Read 493 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Neos 36" Trekkers for use in Alaska?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
I read on a hunting forum about the Neos 36" Trekkers and was wondering if anyone here has had any real life experience using them.  Anyone used them in AK or on a river hunt in AK? I looked them over and they seem well made and tough enough to stand up to the brush in AK but have not ever used them. Before I go with them I want to know they will do what I need them to do.  

Do they hold up?
Do they keep the water out?
Do they hold water out wading for long periods?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neos 36" Trekkers for use in Alaska?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I used a pair of NEOS Trekkers (not 36") in the Boundary Waters on a week long canoe trip.  Up until the last day on the last portage trail, I thought they were fantastic.  They kept my feet dry, were lightweight and allowed me to wear comfortable minimalist shoes.  However, on that last portage they tore on some rocks, and began to leak leaving my feet soaked by time I reached the takeout.

I should add that I portaged several miles on some nasty terrain.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

Last season I bought a new pair of the hip-high NEOS River Trekkers and used them for 10+ days in Alaska. I had exactly no problems with them the entire time. I only used them when I had to actually wade a river, and I never wore them while hunting or 'trekking'. Here are my thoughts:

Very strong and sturdy.

The aggressive sole makes for good traction on rocks.

Extremely leak resistant due to heavy cordura and strong stitching.

I didn't like the hip straps, so I made my own and stitched them to the waders.

Easy to wade in, and gave me no trouble on crossings.

Heavy. For me, just too much weight to carry in my day pack. Fairly bulky, too.

I do recommend them, but I guy needs to know they are not perfect. For a float hunt they might be outstanding. For a carry and use-as-needed wader, they are bulky and heavy at 3-4 pounds. That makes them much lighter than rubber hippers however, and you can still wear your preferred boots when away from water. Donning and removing any wader like these is a bit of a hassle, so know that going in.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Have used NEOS boots, but not the River Trekker. Just reading through the posts I think it would be worth your time to check out Wiggy's. They make a very light weight wader that just might fit the bill for you. Having said that I have to add that I have no personal experience with the Wiggy's wader. It is just something that I have looked at more than once when perusing their website.
Hope this helps.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
My experience mirrors Kevin's.  I've been using either Wiggies over-boot waders or NEOS over-boot waders for river crossings for years.  The NEOS are light years better than Wiggies but they weigh much more and are a lot bulkier.  For the extremely rare deep water crossing then you would be fine with Wiggies.  But if you're going to use them a fair amount then the NEOS would be the way to go.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
And I will concur completely with John's advice. I have used Wiggy's for years, and they are fantastic for their weight and convenience, but barely adequate in terms of durability and leak resistance. I've spent a lot of time repairing my Wiggy's. In 2013 I used the NEOS to do river crossings close to camp, and then ditched them on the far side of the river. While hunting, my pack carries a pair of Wiggy's to use if needed. This worked pretty nicely, as it saved wear and tear on the more fragile Wiggy's. The NEOS are just plain tough.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Kevin and John your input is what I was expecting to hear. I had ruled Wiggys out early on...they are not known for holding up. I did end up buying a pr of Large Neo's to check them out. They were about an inch small with my 9.5 Zamberlan boots on even though their size chart indicated a Large for me but they must base that on wearing running shoes. They are defiantly made out of tough material so I am thinking they will work perfect...as long as they hold up and from what I have been able to read they do. I will be on a float hunt but we will be floating to get to hunting areas then spend a number of days. I also bought a pr of Cabela's Tundra Boots and while the concept is really neat, I did not care for them. Another wader boot I have ordered to check it out is the Cabela's Dry Plus Millennium Hunting Wader Jeans....they get good reviews from those that have used them and they say they hold up. I've basically got 6 months to dial in what I am going to take.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
Steve, I haven't used the Neos, but for what you're considering I would look at a pair of Simm's wading pants.  They are absolutely sweet, very quickly you forget that you're wearing "waders", even when hiking cross-country.  And they keep your butt dry which is what usually gets wet first when floating.
I've got quite a few miles on a pair in and out of the water.  The velcro belt is secure enough to support a sidearm and/or large knife, which is good as otherwise your regular belt is somewhat covered up.
They're not bad for noise considering, except for brush slap.  They get quieter over time.
I usually wear a very light pair of wading boots over mine, although in very cold weather I've been known to wear a pair of bunny boots over them.  Awww, toasty !

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©