3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How are you involved??  (Read 1482 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How are you involved??
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
With Wyoming and many states in the midst of the legislative sessions I have noticed an exceptionally low number of hunters who care to be proactive and prefer to complain when something they dont like becomes law.

How many of you belong to a State or national level organization that fights for your hunting rights and opportunity’s?  

How many of you are involved and aware of legislation taking place and are involved with these organizations to promote or deny legislation?

If you are not a member or involved why are you not?

It’s a lot of questions I know, but when you hear people complain and then ask how many times they attend public input meetings, voted, contacted legislators or even knew when the session was and supported the groups that are fighting for them I hear never.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How are you involved??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Amen!  
I worked for years with the Bowhunters of Alabama, Inc. on those same issues.  Believe me its work, and no one appreciates the effort.  Just let someone loose one day of hunting, or another weapon is added to "your season", then you hear the wailing and complaints.  Most doing the B#^*+@>g have never stepped up to help out.  And then the wonder why has this happened, why didn't somebody do something?
We're no longer a rual society, and the majority don't understand why anyone wants to hunt.

Johnny & Kuri
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
i agree totally.. our state group which i am a life member of has been slipping pretty badly in fighting for us as bowhunters, and are more worried about holding tournaments,  a few of us from our traditional club met with the president to offer suggestions and offer to help.. it was met with a fairly positive response..I guess we will see..  but i have alot of friends that seem to care less about this subject.. i dont understand the reasoning  and strongly encourage membership and active participation in our state and national groups...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
I agree.  I'm a member of the United Bowhunters of Illinois, Illinois Bowhunters Society, Illinois Federation for Outdoor Resources, panther Creek Bowhunters, Comptons, PBS, NRA and some others and have been active in the state orgs for years.  I have a hard time understanding how someone can consider them self a serious anything but not care about what happens or willing to support the organizations that fight for them.

We have a big Deer and Turkey Classic show in town this weekend and Thousands of folks are going to spend more to attend that show than a years membership in any of the IL orgs would cost.  Sad.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
I belong to Compton Bowhunters and New York Bowhunters. I was a county rep for NYB for about 10 or 12 years and also taught N.Y. Bowhunters Saftey for 15 years. I no longer am active like I was but still support and belong. One thing that always amazed me was the amount of folks who had the "let someone else do it" attitude. Those people also would not join the organization, they would also say what will they do for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
I am the current president of the United Bowhunters of Missouri and it is soooo frustrating to meet bowhunter after bowhunter who are not members of any of the three bowhunting organizations in my state. To add insult to injury, a lot of these folks don't think twice about sending their dues off to the NRA. Who do they think fights the battle at home?

The UBM does a lot of great stuff with kids around the state and tries to stay on top of hunting politics at the local, state and national level. All we would like is a little more support from Joe Missouri Bowhunter. This support can be in the form of cash but a warm body to do stuff would be even more welcome.

Darren Haverstick

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Like Darren I am President of my state organization. I see time and time again the need for support go either apatheticly quiet or people just don't want to dig in and join. It upsets me when people I have personally introduced to archery turn a blind eye to the issues today. That said the ones that are involved are "all in". I appreciate their continued supprt. This thing of ours was not given...people worked hard to carve out a season for us and without careful attention this can be taken away.

Most guys who I ask about joining either a National Group like PBS or Comptons, or our own state organization at United Bowhunters of Illinois, tell me no because they don't view these organizations as "doing anything". One could argue that "nothing" includes organizing events for kids, volunteering as a mentor for future generations, acting as a watchdog to keep our seasons from being taken away, providing scholarships for students pursuing degrees in Wildlife and Conservation, organizing and sponsoring 3D shoots, and on and on.

If you are not a member of your state organization or furthermore, a national one, you are missing out. We are also missing out on your input and expertise to further promote our wonderful sport.
Mike Davenport

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Those on here who are not members of state organizations please tell me why you are not members?

Your the group I want to appeal to.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I just picked up the stick and string a couple months ago and am not a member with any of the orginazations yet, but have my eyes on 3 or 4 that I plan on joining as the funds become available. One local, one statewide, and 2 national. I don't want to miss out on anything. Since I've picked up my longbow, I've felt like a kid in a candy shop.
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Member of Kansas Bowhunters Association and also a Hunter Ed and Bowhunter Ed Instructor for almost ten years now. Try to help out when and where I can. Also receive updates from our wildlife and parks on upcoming legislature meetings and events.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
After reading Randy's original post and then the last 2 I don't think he's going to get the response from "non members" like he wants to. It seemed a bit scary to read and might push people away (except the very bold) because it seems to be, calling people out.  Which maybe that's your intent, but it seems to be a set up for some ugly conversation.  Guessing something fueled you this morning.
So maybe I'll re word it for him.
So for those who are NOT members of some state or national level organizations. Would you be able to provide some insight as to why you choose to not be?  With out too much debate.
I hate to see a fight...
And RB you're my boy and you know with all due respect you may override my post. Just don't want it to seem too argumentative...

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Well Bud, our state has two organizations, both of which fight each other. It's a joke. Our state more than most is controlled by another groupd (SFW) who see bowhunters as competition for rifle hunters. And with 15000 to 200000 (bowhunters to gun) and with a lot of the archery guys being 2 season hunters ( which here means whichever hunt has the best dates) it's futile at best.

That being said I need to join WY and am a member of the CO trad group. When things turn around financially, I'll be able to support more. This is a very good topic to discuss!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Btw I'm would like to know more about TGMM... Point me in the right direction or send me a PM on here if you could  :)
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
I'm a life member of the United Bowhunters of Kentucky and Associate Member of Pope and Young.

When I was wildlife director of the KY Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Resources I could always count on the UBK to attend Commission meetings to be a voice for science-based wildlife management.

It always surprised me how few other sportsmen groups put in this kind of effort. Hoping for the best isn't always the best practice. I've seen good and bad decisions based on a single suggestion from a citizen.

I do need to reup with Comptons and PBS, maybe at their annual meetings which I will be attending this year for the first time.

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
I am not a member of any bow hunting organizations. I think one of the main reasons people don't join is poor advertising. Everyone has heard of the NRA, therefore the NRA has a lot of members. The NRA also has some decent perks that come with membership.

Also, I know a few people that refuse to fund any organizations like that because they believe funds are misappropriated. Again, look at the NRA. I'm sure the upper echelon of the NRA is raking it in. I mean, how much do you think it cost them to sponsor that NASCAR race last year? Is that an appropriate use of member donations?

Organizations should also do a better job of letting people know exactly what they are doing legislation wise. Maybe make a list of all the battles that have been won available to prospective members.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
After reading Randy's original post and then the last 2 I don't think he's going to get the response from "non members" like he wants to. It seemed a bit scary to read and might push people away (except the very bold) because it seems to be, calling people out.  Which maybe that's your intent, but it seems to be a set up for some ugly conversation.  Guessing something fueled you this morning.
So maybe I'll re word it for him.
So for those who are NOT members of some state or national level organizations. Would you be able to provide some insight as to why you choose to not be?  With out too much debate.
I hate to see a fight...
And RB you're my boy and you know with all due respect you may override my post. Just don't want it to seem too argumentative...
I see your point here for sure. I want both sides really. I am in effect calling people to the floor to state there thoughts. As to why the don't participate. I will keep this conversation clean and I will not attack anyone who states a valid opinion.

So I don't intend it to be argumentative or condescending in any way. So please don't take it that way.

Ryan we could talk a lot about SFW. This is not the place for that though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I am a proud life member of the West Virginia Bowhunters Association and the Pope and Young Club. The WVBA is always on top of the game in legislature, as a matter of fact I just received a call while I was typing this to make some phone calls on behalf of an issue going on right now. Will do so immediately.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 06:41:00 PM »
Randy,
I rejoined BOW a couple of years ago after a hiatus. In years past, I was Treasurer and Vice President. I was also on the board of the Wyoming Wildlife Assoc for many years. I was a Regular member of PBS, but dropped that after several years of seeing little besides the magazine for my money. I am a member of Compton's, and recently joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I have been an NRA member for many years.
My years of working with the Wy Wildlife Assoc pretty much burned me out; I saw a lot of what you talk about, that is, a few people doing the majority of the work, and a bunch of people bitching. After many years, I finally decided that I would continue membership in a few organizations, and let other folks do the heavy lifting. I felt that I had somewhat paid my dues.
I still keep up with state legislation, and contact my representatives about hunting and conservation matters, but I am done sitting on boards.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I have issues with the leadership of our states main bowhunting organization, l'm a member on another site that tends to oppose them.
SWA Spyder

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I am a member and have been active in a wide range of organizations from local, state, and national levels.  The thing that I have heard the most of is when a member gets disgruntled or won't join because they disagree with the organizations stance on a particular subject.  "I won't support an organization that ........"  

Eventually, almost every organization is going to do something that an individual doesn't agree with.  So they quit.  But in reality, that is so conterproductive.  As soon as you quit you lose your voice.  Organizations don't listen to people that aren't members.  The best thing you could do is to become even more involved when you don't agree with something.  If your organization is dropping the ball on political action or whatever your hot button is, get on the board and get involved!  You will have far more affect than simply dropping out.

I've often thought that the best thing we could do to fight PETA is to get all hunters to join, elect hunters to the board, and take them over!! LOL

Seriously though, I do understand the sentiment.  It does become difficult to support an organization that is at complete odds with an individuals personal convictions.  NRA is my own personal example, and I know a lot of you would think badly of me because I don't support them.

The best we can do is pick those that most closely represent our own views and throw our support behind them.  We can't all join them all, so pick and choose those that are important to you.  But do pick something!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©