3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How are you involved??  (Read 1484 times)

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How are you involved??
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I am a life member of New York Bowhunters and served almost 20 years as regional rep, BOD, VP and culminating in the Presidency.  I moved to North Carolina and joined the North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc. and Carolina Traditional Archers. At this point in life with 2 boys age 6 and 12, I have decided to take some time off on being a leader, but will support the orgs in any way I can. My focus at this time needs to be on my family.  I did however, offer to be the editor for Carolina Trad Archer's quarterly magazine.  I do write and send my emails as needed to our gov't officials.

I am also a Compton member.  Once my boys are older and my schedule is not dictated by theirs, I could very well see myself getting in the thick of things again.

Martin
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Randy,
I rejoined BOW a couple of years ago after a hiatus. In years past, I was Treasurer and Vice President. I was also on the board of the Wyoming Wildlife Assoc for many years. I was a Regular member of PBS, but dropped that after several years of seeing little besides the magazine for my money. I am a member of Compton's, and recently joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I have been an NRA member for many years.
My years of working with the Wy Wildlife Assoc pretty much burned me out; I saw a lot of what you talk about, that is, a few people doing the majority of the work, and a bunch of people bitching. After many years, I finally decided that I would continue membership in a few organizations, and let other folks do the heavy lifting. I felt that I had somewhat paid my dues.
I still keep up with state legislation, and contact my representatives about hunting and conservation matters, but I am done sitting on boards.
I can understand Pat. Really though your still active in preservation of the hunt as shown ion your last statement. I don't expect everyone to be on the board or the like. I for one appreciate what you did as part of BOW. I have heard many good things you were part of.

I could have been more clear. Those involved in the legislation are the ones I am concerned by. It's those who don't even know it occurs.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I have long been a supporter of many orgs. Besides those listed below I belong to the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters and the Traditional Bowhunters of Florida. I should re up with Compton also. If you are not on the list you can't be counted.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
I am a life member of both my state orgs, and members of several other states and national orgs.   Joe hit the nail on the head when he said about "getting more involved" if things don't go your way...and they sometimes will.  But I've seen many orgs take new direction from as little as one concerned voice with the courage to stand up and make a case.  

In this day and age, there are so many orgs to choose from, it's important for folks who wish to get the most "bang" for their buck, to do their homework.  Find out if an organization is legit, if it has "other" agenda's, where the money is spent, etc. etc.  Most state orgs exist to safeguard YOUR opportunities, and they usually are the best place to belong, especially if one has to choose.  

Also, in this day and age, being active is paramount for us to hold on to what we have.  There are plenty of pressures out there today affecting our opportunities...just choose something that you have passion for, be it equipment, or habitat, or education and get pro-active!  And don't worry about the folks that always whine...they will still be there regardless.  And I've always contended that if you are not pi--ing someone off, then you are not really doing anything.   Just do it.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
FerretWYO- It was great talking to you this past weekend at Colorado Trad Archers Society banquet. I have been to many state and national org meetings, There were many good young bowhunters at that event. Keep up the good work.

I know some folks who are like cur-dogs, they get a lot down with out barking too much. It takes all kinds, but I hope more people will stand up to be counted and at least add more power to these active organizations. Mike

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:

Originally posted by Matty:
After reading Randy's original post and then the last 2 I don't think he's going to get the response from "non members" like he wants to. It seemed a bit scary to read and might push people away (except the very bold) because it seems to be, calling people out.  Which maybe that's your intent, but it seems to be a set up for some ugly conversation.  Guessing something fueled you this morning.
So maybe I'll re word it for him.
So for those who are NOT members of some state or national level organizations. Would you be able to provide some insight as to why you choose to not be?  With out too much debate.
I hate to see a fight...
And RB you're my boy and you know with all due respect you may override my post. Just don't want it to seem too argumentative...
I see your point here for sure. I want both sides really. I am in effect calling people to the floor to state there thoughts. As to why the don't participate. I will keep this conversation clean and I will not attack anyone who states a valid opinion.

So I don't intend it to be argumentative or condescending in any way. So please don't take it that way.

Ryan we could talk a lot about SFW. This is not the place for that though. [/b]
I don't think the thread is threatening to people who don't support organizations, and I didn't feel I would be blasted for stating my opinions. I should, however, clarify that I'm not opposed to joining such groups, its just never crossed my mind. Lack of advertising is one reason. Another is a lack of threats to archery hunting in Ohio. I don't know of any threats in the 15 years I've been hunting.

Offline Son of Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
-life member NRA
- Ohio Bowhunters Association
- Ohio Hunter Education Instructor

might look into Ohio Bowhunter Education Program
Accuracy kills every time. Everything else is just numbers.
Mike Schuch

Martin Savanah 50lbs
Bear Montana 50lbs
Prairie Predator 45lbs

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm a member of the Montana Bowhunters Association,,  http://mtba.org/

and the Traditional Bowhunters Of Montana

http://www.tradbowmt.org/

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Hey Randy,
Nice talking with you this weekend.  This is all tough to discuss w/out the possibility of ruffling feathers but I know you have nothing but good intentions and you're passionate about hunting and hunting rights.

Local / State / National organizations are political at the very heart.  The means a couple of things.

First of all, money.  That drives all politics, like it or not.  

Second, compromise.  Nobody ever gets 100% of what they want so you (the organization) has to give some to get some.

I hate politics but I'm still a member of several organizations both professional and personal.

Often, organization membership appears to be little more than "a monthly newsletter or magazine".  Whether true or not, that's often the only obvious benefit some members see.

Two things would be very beneficial for membership.  One is notification when important legislative issues come up.  I can only dedicate so much time to work, hunting, fishing, brewing beer, reading TradGang, kids concerts and plays and sports and everything else.  At some point, something's gotta give.

A second thing that I've seen in professional organizations that is very valuable to membership is "talking points".  Even drafted letters.  If an organization is able to tell me when my input is necessary and gives me some talking points, I can contact my local / state / federal reps and voice my opinion. Further, that voice can be magnified when all of the people making contact have the same story.

I'm a member and will continue to be a member.  Hope this helps.
homebru

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Member of Traditional Bowhunters of Washington.
A former director of Washington State Bowhunters.

Like some have already mentioned if you don't join or get involved don't complain.  In fact I think it was Fred Bear who said; your're either working for bowhunting or your against it.

A hard line perhaps but too many like to complain about what's wrong, but when asked to help they disappear quick.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
TAO, Traditional Archers of Oregon, is very active in protecting our bowhunting season and fighting to keep crossbows out of it. Between the rifle guys who want to squeeze us out and the big monied companies that would benefit from introducing crossbows into the archery season, and the anti-hunters there is a LOT for all of us to get involved in!
We found that the game dept. was making a visit to a large manufacturer of bows and crossbows to observe and get more acquainted with them. So 4 of us from TAO attended this demonstration. Our Pres. brought his longbow and showed how a bow works as opposed to a gun stock, with a trigger, and full let-off, sights, etc.......
I also support other organizations.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Life member of the Marine Corps League

Life Member of the Viet Nam Veterans Association

Life Member of the Muskegon Bowman

Life member of the FOP

Member of the Michigan Traditional Bow Hunters

Member of the Michigan Bow Hunters

Member of the Michigan Flint Knappers

Member of the NRA

Member of the Las Cruces Rock and Mineral club

Member of the Holland Michigan rock and Mineral club

Member of the  Indian Mounds Rock and Mineral club

So where does it end?  I may attend one or two meetings at the above clubs and maybe not.  Some support by joining, attending , contributing and some show their support financially by just joining and that would be me.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:

So where does it end?  I may attend one or two meetings at the above clubs and maybe not.  Some support by joining, attending , contributing and some show their support financially by just joining and that would be me.
Believe it or not a name on a list can make the difference. When I have talked legislative venues in the past one question often asked is how many voices do you represent. I can only say those who are members. When there are 60,000 buying an archery tag and I have to say 300 the word I have are taken as if they are 1%. I have had them tell me those very words.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Good thread, Randy.  My biggest guess as to the challenges faced by state and national bowhunting orgs is identity crisis.  There seem to be a few exceptions but I believe there are some climate changes over the last couple of decades that fundamentally affect the basic value proposition these kinds of organizations once provided.  I think pre-internet era, they were a more valuable source of information and mentorship.  I think pre bowhunting big industry era, they were a more affective source of political clout.  

I don't belong to my state organization because the fraternal opportunities are more attractive to me on the national level.  If I lived in your state, that probably wouldn't be the case.  As far as supporting bowhunting within my state, I take the opportunity as an individual to get involved to effect positive change.  Just this last year, I was very involved in changing a ridiculous expandable broadhead requirement for hunting bears here.  I could have given my state organization 100K and been less effective.  That's not a nock on them or atta boy for me, just the way I see it.  I worked individually on a local fisheries issue that none of the big conservation organizations would touch.  Finally got a law changed and learned a lot about the process.

I guess my overall point is that I think many of these orgs will change or die.  I also think that the guy looking in the mirror can do as much or as little to move our passion forward as he chooses, regardless of the organizational opportunities availabe at any given time.

Again....good conversation.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
I've spent a lot of time as part of my wildlife job sitting in front of Commissions and legislative committees. Some of these, especially the legislative interactions, were among the lest enjoyable of my career. In fact, I ended my career one advancement early because I didn't want to stay in that arena.  The vision of some of these folks doesn't extend beyond their nose.

From time to time though when we would describe that such and such an organization supported or opposed an idea, they would ask how many members does the organization have?  It is quite deflating to admit that only 200 or so members are in the organization. It is far easier for these folks, who often care little about our issues, to disregard an issue if the org isn't well-numbered.

By the way, when a legislator or commission member asks how many members there are in the organization, they already know the answer. They just want to be able to say, "see, the number of backers isn't worth my time".

The organizations I don't support are those (one is a big, non-archery org in Ohio)that claim as their effort the work of others.

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Bowwild,

Care to elaborate on that Ohio organization? I'm a member of a couple such organizations and would be interested to hear more.

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
To be perfectly honest I try to join organizations that I know are looking out for me because I am flat out busy. I guess that is a crappy excuse when you boil it down because here I am at lunch typing on TradGang. I am a member of B.O.W. and the NRA and always look for the emails that talk about legislation, and if I have the time I will go to a meeting or hearing or write a letter or at least try to be in touch with those who are attending. So I'm not all bad, but I could do more I guess.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
C,
I sent you a PM. I don't want to get specific here.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
I am a member of The Wisconsin Traditional Archers (WTA), The Wisconsin Bow Hunters Association (WBH), Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF), Pope & Young Club, Big Foot Archers club in Lake Geneva, WI, and a proud, retired member of one of the best organization in the United States, the U.S. Navy.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Being new to Californistan, I'm not aware of any State bowhunting orgs.  I am a Life Member of the RMEF though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©