3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot the Liberty Classic and/or JD Berry Taipan?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone shoot the Liberty Classic and/or JD Berry Taipan?
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Has anyone had an opportunity to shoot/compare both of these forward/mid handled bows? If so, what did you think? If you have any pics you can share, that would be great! Allen usually comes down for the Rancho Neblina Shoot, so I can hopefully try a Classic then, but I rarely see a Berry bow around here.

They both look like fantastic bows!

Thank You!

Stump
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot the Liberty Classic and/or JD Berry Taipan?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
I can't speak for the Berry, but Alan makes a great bow! I've shot his classic and it's smooth and a great shooter. And Allen is one of the most under rated longbow builders out there! He's also a great guy  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
I agree! I had two Contenders that I sold because a Buddy HAD to have my myrtle one and the other was too heavy for me. I also realized I shoot straight handles better than locators, so I was intrigued when I saw both of these offered in a straight handle.

I still have 2 NM bows on the way, so I don't NEED either one of these, but since when has NEED ever come into play with this addiction?

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Can't speak for the Liberty but I can for the Taipan. Buying it was one of the better decisions I have made.  Stable, quiet, quick and beautiful.  James makes a great bow and has for many years.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
I shot a taipan in Jan - two are on order (one for me and one for my grandson).  James Berry, IMHO - makes the best D shaped and duoflex (R/D) bows today - period.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
I have had the opportunity to shoot a Liberty Classic for awhile.  Allen made a few "tweeks" to his design and made a bow to let folks try.  Mudd shot it first and then I have had it for a few weeks.  

This is the first I have shot this style of bow, but I am impressed.  SO VERY QUIET, and smooth.  For being the first string follow bow I have shot, along with the "mid" grip, I didn't know what to expect as far as speed.  I was pleasantly surprised with how fast it shot.  Not a speed demon by any means, but faster than I expected.  It is so smooth and quiet, that any critter will never hear the bow.

Don't have any experience with Berry bows, but this Liberty Classic is on my wish list.  The test bow is 68" which is longer than I want or I would just buy this one.

Stump Buster- contact Allen and see if you can try out the bow.  He asked if I had anyone else to try it out, but my nephew and I are the only ones interested around here.  If Allen OK's it, I could send it to you.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
I've never shot Liberty, but the Taipan I own is hands down one of the best, if not the best all around bow I have owned/shot . I typically shoot straight limbed longbows. ( all JD BERRY) but I picked up a Taipan a couple months ago that has stolen my heart. Just an easy to shoot , quiet , and good casting bow.  I am sold on all things that come out of James shop and the Taipan has struck a cord with me.

With that said I don't believe I have ever heard a bad thing about Allen Boice either.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks Herman! I'll give Allen a Holler and let you know!

Thanks for ALL the replies so far guys!!!

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
I made a video showing my taipan. Great bow. It is on you tube. I don't have a video on Mr. Boice bows, but I am sure they are great bows as well.

here is another one , it is mostly on the super d, but I do show the Taipan.

Form form form
Fun fun fun

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Stump
Definitely give Allen a call. I saw the slimmed  down version of the Classic this weekend.  He took mine and is trimming her down big time.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Bob-
Since I have never seen the original version, please fill me in on the differences of the new and old version.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Hermon
The newer version has a slimmer grip profile.  The limbs are narrower very close to the two HH Wesley Specials I own.  The grip is smaller front to back and sides of the grip are flatter than the original which was more oval on my bow. The back of the grip is rounded and sets into your hand very nicely and the slight bulkiness I felt with the original is not there.  The tip overlays are smaller and trimmer.  There was nothing wrong with my original bow it shot very well and had the typical Boice craftsmanship. Allen just refined the design into a trimmer package that allows the bow to become more of  an extension of the arm as opposed to holding a bow.
Hope this helps.  Allen can probably explain it much more clearly.  I know he has become fond of the straight grip and string follow design .

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks.  Really liked this bow but was curious in how they differed.  Thanks.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »

I think 58Winters said it best. Here's a few pics of my Classic. I will say that I have been a recurve guy for all my trad. archery days....until Allen put this Classic in my hands and asked if I wanted to shoot it...sneaky guy! haha  After one shot I wanted to shoot it more. Then again and again. I couldn't believe how it felt so natural in the hand and the cast of the arrow went right where you were looking. So smooth and quiet. I like the way the grip sits in the hand. It allows for a constant placement in the hand every time.  It's a keeper!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
A while back,at Western States,I shot Allens Classic.I shot a lot of bows there that weekend and the Classic and a bow by John Strunk,shot the best for me.When i say best,it doesnt mean the fastest,but the most forgiving of operator error,which is a huge seller for a guy like me.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Thanks Guys!!! This group of folks can't be beat!!!

Herman will soon be sending me the "Pass Around" Liberty Classic to try out, so I should have a good idea about how the Classic shoots and feels in a couple of weeks!!!

THANK YOU Herman and Allen!!! I really appreciate the opportunity!!!

Mike

Online Arrowang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:00 AM »
Stumpbuster I have owned a Berry Appollo which is along same lines as Taipan, and around that time I also had Liberty English models, several in fact.
I can guarrantee the Berry has a very smooth feel and Libertys were good also but felt different in hand.
If I had to again I would have Berry hands down.
Had to sell all my longbows following  back surgery as they were all 58+ pounds.
Thinking another Berry maybe 51# and forward handle in my future......arrowang-----

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Hey Stump Buster-  Be on the lookout for the Liberty Classic as it is headed your way.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Hey Stump Buster-  Be on the lookout for the Liberty Classic as it is headed your way.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
THANK YOU SIR!!!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©