3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot the Liberty Classic and/or JD Berry Taipan?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot the Liberty Classic and/or JD Berry Taipan?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »

Bob, recognize this?  She's a beauty. Ebony riser, black limbs...oh yeah! Another Liberty Classic!

Don't know who this guy is...he was standing in the parking lot so I asked him if he'd hold your bow while I could took a picture of it.

Skinny fast tips.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
It's Midnight Mary!! You guys becareful with my girl.  She slimmed down quite nicely. 50# @27 string folow.
Thanks Allen.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I picked up a Taipan a couple months ago that has stolen my heart. Just an easy to shoot , quiet , and good casting bow.  I am sold on all things that come out of James shop and the Taipan has struck a cord with me.

With that said I don't believe I have ever heard a bad thing about Allen Boice either.
X10

I've ordered my second Taipan from James with full artistic freedom.  He says he knows what I like.  Three more months.

I bought the wife a Liberty bow and it is a fine bow indeed and a stand up guy in Allen for sure.  Just didn't strike a chord like the Taipan.

my .02 cents,

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I used to own a Liberty contender that I thought was a good-shooting bow.  I haven't shot Allen's forward handle bow, but I'm sure it is nice.

As for JD Berry, I currently own a North Star that is a beautiful forward-handle bow, and I have a Taipan on order.  I think JD Berry builds some of the best-shooting, most beautiful bows for sale today at any price.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Stump Buster, please share your review after shooting the Classic.  Do you know the specs on the one you'll be getting?  I currently shoot a Liberty English and I'm very interested and want to learn more about the Classic.   Thanks!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Butchie:

If you're interested in test driving a Classic sometime let me know and I'll send one your way. The one Stump Buster has is 68" & 45# and will be available after he's done with it. I have one here that I've been shooting for awhile that's 68" & 51#.  I also have a 66" 52# Classic in the shop that I could send your way. It's always good to shoot a bow before you buy, especially something totally different than what you're accustomed to. String follow bows aren't for everybody, just like any Hill style bow isn't. However, having said that they're just about the only bow I shoot anymore.  For me it's the perfect contemporary  traditional bow that keeps me connected with the archery I came to know and love when I first picked up a bow in the sixty's. Wow, where has time gone!

Allen

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Thank you Allen! I would really like the opportunity to shoot the Classic.  My English is 47# @30" so the 45# Stump Buster has currently would be best.  Please PM or email me whenever it might become available.

I'm curious how it compares/differs from the English.  Could you give me some specifics since there's no one more qualified to compare.

Thanks again!

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

I got a chance to shoot the bow on the 28th and here are my initial impressions...(Please keep in mind, this was a VERY brief shooting session after a short break in the weather... I hope to shoot it again in the morning with a friend so I can get his take on it as well. I hope to be able to add pictures after tomorrow as well of the bow at full draw and the beautiful lines. Also I typed this up on the evening of the 28th but wanted to shoot it one more time before posting, but haven't had a chance due to work and weather, so it may read weird.)

From the other night...

The Bow: PERFECT construction as always from Allen, just like my two previous Contenders. The wood combos were a little busy for my tastes, but a fantastic example of what is available from Allen's shop and an excellent choice for a pass-around bow. The Yew in the limbs is a nice reddish color that blends well with the black glass. SPECS: 68" #45@28"

The Handle: This handle was a little too rounded/peaked on the belly side for MY tastes. If there weren't the two overlays on the belly of the grip that my palm presses against, I think I would have been more consistent in my shooting. The more I shot the bow, the more I noticed the thin part if the grip on the belly was changing position in my hand. When I spoke to Allen last week, he told me he has changed the grip on the current Classics, but I can't remember what he told me he changed. If I were to order one, I think I'd opt for no overlays to give the handle a more rectangular feel on the belly side. I'll ask him when I talk to him next if this is possible or if this is one of the things he changed in the final design. (UPDATE: Based on the pictures above of the Black Classic, it looks like the grip might be more squared, but it's hard to tell from pictures...maybe Allen can give us the skinny on the changes)

The shooting: My first three arrows were low left, but within an inch of each other at about ten yards. Then as I shot more, the group opened up and the more inconsistent I got. I noticed the string had kind of a "tinny" ping at the shot and there was a little more thump than I was expecting. I was shooting 2016's because I had them handy. It wasn't what I'd call handshock by any means, the bow was just letting you know it had just sent an arrow downrange for you. It did have a lot more thump than my Contenders did and that's probably due to the stringfollow design as opposed to the reflexed limbs of the Contenders. The draw was smooth, but I couldn't really tell the difference of my past Contenders by memory (I wish I still had one of them the test alongside this one). I'm also losing favor with bamboo cored bows. I have a funny feeling if this bow had Yew or Elm cores, it would have had a completely different feel and sound. Funny thing though, it seemed the bow quieted down the more I shot it. Maybe it was the string settling down, but it was noticeably quieter by the end of the short shooting session. Maybe I was getting a cleaner release...I hope to find out tomorrow. I should also include that I was shooting 3-under and didn't have time to play with nock height. I'll shoot a few tomorrow split finger and see how that sounds/feels.

Overall: It's a beautiful bow and another example of Allen's master craftsmanship. I think if this bow had a more square grip, I was able spend more time tuning it/playing with heavier arrows, and I added a couple Hush Puppy's, I believe I could have tamed the little thump and made the bow absolutely dead silent. I'll see what I have for shafts in the shop and try shooting with a heavier arrow shaft and point combo in the morning.

Based on this VERY brief shooting session (similar to being as if I were trying this one out at a Show or 3D shoot) and the way I WAS SHOOTING this bow, if I were to order a bow from Allen today I'd be ordering another one of his Contenders. I've had two already and want another one real bad. I think I'd be more consistent with a straight gripped & reflex limb model that I'M ALREADY FAMILIAR WITH. I do want to try out one of the updated versions of the Classic with different core woods to see if that makes a significant difference IN MY SHOOTING of this particular model, so I hope I catch up with him later this year at the Rancho Neblina Shoot in Petaluma. No matter what, I'll be shaking has hand again and will more than likely be ordering another one of his creations before the year's end.

Allen, I got your message today when I got home from the forest. It was a little scratchy (probably my wet lines) but I'm pretty sure you were giving me the green light to send to bow to Butchie. No Problem, if I can get it packed up tomorrow night , it will be on the way by the end of the week. I wish the weather was better and I had more time to play with it, but I'd rather get it off to the next tester. I can shoot another one if you come down in September. I'll call you tomorrow after I get in from shooting it again.

Butchie, PM me your address and I'll get the tube ready to go.

THANK YOU ALLEN FOR ALLOWING ME TO TRY THIS BABY OUT!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE THE OPPORTUNITY!!!

Mike
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
PS - That longbow in my avatar is the Contender my buddy just HAD TO have. It's one of two bows I should have never let outta my hands!!!

Offline Allen Boice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Mike:

Just a quick follow up before we head out today for your part of the country to spend some time with our son in LA for a few days.

I can modify a grip to the customers specifications, but what I'm currently doing is making them slightly deeper and more oval, not much, just slightly. Leaving the overlays off would achieve the more rounded feel you prefer.
Also, I've been experimenting with handle lengths and have settled on 18" in 68" bows and 16" for 66". The bow you have is 16" and when it eventually makes it back to my shop I plan to cut it down to 66".  

The slight thump you're feeling is typical of straight limbed bows. Better strings silencers may help and also keep the brace height at about 6.5". Arrow selection will make a difference too, I generally shoot wood arrows, mostly Wilderness and sometimes CE 150s with weed eater line added inside them to increase the weight. They're all in the 550 ~ 600 grain range which helps tone down any bow design, either RD or straight limb models.

Finally, if I were to build a bow to shoot 3-under I would tiller it differently, which should help improve shooting consistency and quiet the bow down. I generally recommend moving the nock point up about an eight inch for 3-under shooters who are shooting a split finger bow.

Thanks for taking it for a test drive and yes, send it on to Butchie when you're done with it.  

No rush, Allen

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Thank you for the information Mike (PM sent) and for the opportunity Allen, looking forward to shooting it.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Allen!

Unfortunately work and heavy rain all day prevented me and my buddy from getting together to shoot this bow again, so I didn't get a chance to try different arrow/point combinations or get the full draw pics I wanted. I really don't think you can take my first review as gospel since we all have different shooting styles I only had a VERY short window to shoot her. I was really looking forward to trying her out with different shafts, but weather and work is going to keep me from doing that anytime soon, so I'd rather get the bow off to Butchie.

I'll try and snap a few indoor pics before packing it up tonight.

Butchie, I got your address, so I'll send her out to you in the morning.

Allen, Have a safe trip and I'll be in touch!!! Do you think you might be down in September?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Mike

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
Okay...went outside real quick because the lighting in the house was terrible. I hope these show up okay, they were real quick and dirty in the rain...

I drew the bow split finger and the angle might look strange because my wife was standing on the porch (I thought the fact that she's 4'-Nothing would help balance out the fact the porch is about 2' off the ground)   :D  

I tried to get the true color of the Yew and the excellent overlays on the belly side of the limb tips, but it was just too dark already and I couldn't get the camera to focus right.

I sure hope they show up okay (and I sized them correctly).

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Stump Buster- What is your draw length?

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
With that grip pictured above... 30" right on the money from string to Back of Point.

I'm a 6'-4" knuckledragger (That's why my Anthropology major was a natural fit). I have an honest 32" draw with my recurves if I lock my bow arm straight and use a high wrist.

I try and force myself to bend my elbow when I shoot straight handle longbows and flatbows (actually I'm trying to force myself to bend my elbow all the time just so it becomes habit).

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
I was just noticing that the string angle was getting close to 90 degrees looks like in the picture.  Figured you must be a lot bigger than me.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Ha ha, not quite 90, but the fact the camera was above me and I'm canting the bow, it probably looks more severe than it was.

I should add, that even though I was drawing this bow to 30"...I felt NO Stacking at all. It was very smooth throughout!

I should also add that it's a good thing I started back up on my cardio program...looks like I need to cut down some of my "survival muscle".   :D

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
More good info Mike.  I am a fellow 6'4" knuckledragger with 30" draw.    :thumbsup:

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Of course the clouds parted and the sun broke through to shine on this part of the planet about 5 minutes after I walked out of the post office this morning. Oh well, I wouldn't have had a chance to shoot today anyway.

Butchie, she's on the way to ya buddy, I'll PM you the tracking info. I hope you have the opportunity to spend a little more time shooting her than I did.

Mike

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I received a Classic from Allen a couple of weeks ago. I have been a long time fan of Allen's bows. I have six of his English longbows and one Contender. The English has been a top favorite of mine for 12 years or so.

I was very interested to hear about the Classic when Allen first started considering a string follow longbow. I had never shot a string follow fiberglass bow, but I do own several selfbows that have varying degrees of string follow, the result of natural shapes of some wood bows.

Mt first challenge was trying not to compare the Classic to Allen's English. The Classic is a very different bow in all respects than the English. It took me a while to let go of that temptation, but I finally did.

I have shot the Classic for a couple of weeks. My first impressions have changed over those weeks, more than once actually.

First of all, it is a very easy bow to shoot accurately. It is very stable and forgiving of release inconsistencies. The sight window is wide open due to the narrow limb core, which I really appreciate. As others have noted the draw is very smooth and natural feeling. As far as speed goes, the Classic was not intended to be a speed demon, it was intended to make an archer a better archer. Is it fast enough? Absolutely.

The Classic invites confidence. Any bow that can achieve that is a great bow, and oddly, many bows don't. There is a big difference between knowing you are going to hit the mark and hoping you are going to hit the mark. Confidence is important.

On top of all of that it is a beautiful bow, like all of Allen's bows. Mine has really beautiful myrtle veneers and a myrtle handle. I have always preferred a straight grip, and Allen nailed it with the Classic grip.

If you appreciate longbows, the Classic is a bow you should seriously consider. It is one of those bows that you will hold on to, not because it is simply a beautiful longbow but because it may eliminate some of the elements that challenge accuracy and help make you a better hunting archer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©