3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which is your favorite- Silvertip or Tall Tines?  (Read 703 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Which is your favorite- Silvertip or Tall Tines?
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
I've never owned a recurve, but I'm considering purchasing one. I've narrowed down my list to a Silvertip or Tall Tines. Of these two excellent bows/bowyers, which do you like most? Also, what limb cores and veneer combinations are your favorite? I would love to see pictures of your beloved Silvertip or Tall Tines bows!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which is your favorite- Silvertip or Tall Tines?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
Dennis, I have had both. To tell you the truth they both perform, shoot and feel very similar. It really comes down to the which grip you prefer. So if you can get a hold of one of each to test that I think you will be able to make that personal decision at that point.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
I concur with Tom. A grip can make or break a good bow. And everyone has different tastes. I am more picky with liking or not liking a grip. The grips on TT and Tip I had were pretty different. Other than that; both are great bows.

I have yet to feel the difference with core materials. As for veneers; man there are some gorgeous veneers out there now-a-days.

Here are couple of pics:

~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Dennis,

I have a couple Tall Tines and I don't think you live far from me. If you would like to try one out let me know.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I've owned both. Both great bows but I still have the Tip.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Dennis, I noticed that you are a longbow fanatic.
Don't forget that both Silvertip and Tall Tines offer a three piece td longbow! I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a Tall Tines yet but I own a Silvertip longbow and I love it.
Just something to think about
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Had 2 different S Tips, I like the overall profile of the Tips better, and Dave and Beth are just great to deal with. Only reason for selling them off was I started to make my own recurves/ longbows and needed to fund supplies.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Blacktail...jk.  I don't think you can make a mistake. There are so many talented bowyers today. It makes it difficult to choose just 1. Peace!

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Blacktail...jk.  I don't think you can make a mistake. There are so many talented bowyers today. It makes it difficult to choose just 1. Peace!

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
It looks as though I have been beat to it. I was going to post the same question. I spoke with Dave yesterday and I have a call into Brian. I have a couple assenheimers and am completely happy with them but Don is suffering from some health issues and i don't believe him to be making bows again. I am down to a TT or a Tip but would like to shoot both before I purchase one. Dave said he could probably let me try a Tip. Does anyone know if Brian would do the same? I was fortunate when i had my Asseheimers made in that I only live 30 min from Don's shop. Any suggestions would be great. Sorry, didn't mean to get this thread off track.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Winkler:
Dennis,

I have a couple Tall Tines and I don't think you live far from me. If you would like to try one out let me know.
Thanks, Kevin. I may take you up on that someday in the future. Thank a bunch!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Dennis, I have had both. To tell you the truth they both perform, shoot and feel very similar. It really comes down to the which grip you prefer. So if you can get a hold of one of each to test that I think you will be able to make that personal decision at that point.
Great advice, Tom. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and opinions.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe vt:
I concur with Tom. A grip can make or break a good bow. And everyone has different tastes. I am more picky with liking or not liking a grip. The grips on TT and Tip I had were pretty different. Other than that; both are great bows.

I have yet to feel the difference with core materials. As for veneers; man there are some gorgeous veneers out there now-a-days.

Here are couple of pics:

Joe, those are stunning!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Both great bows.  I've owned  a couple Silvertips and currently own several Tall Tines.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Can't add much to what's already been said. Definitely shoot both. I own several Silvertips and have another on order. Can't imagine a bow being much better than a silvertip

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
They truely are both nice. Tried a tip first, currently own two tall tines, number three on the way.  Like said above, the low grip on the tines is my favorite grip that i have ever felt.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I also have both and think after awhile you move from trying to name what's best to saying with certainty what your favorites are. And to do that....ya gotta try em...Tom.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
I have shot and owned 2 TT and 3 schaffers. I still have a Talltines and another set of limbs on order.

TallTines are a bit faster, louder, and have a tighter grip
Schaffers draw a bit smoother, shoot quieter, and have a lower grip.

Both are the finest recurves on the market in my taste along with Morrison

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
I have never shot a Silvertip, but after the first arrow I shot thru a Tall Tines longbow, I placed my order for my own longbow.  A quick, but thorough phone conversation about the bow's specs AND a completely custom grip was all it took.  When the bow arrived I shot three arrows, went inside and listed all my other longbows for sale, as I no longer needed them, and I don't regret the decion at all.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I've owned a lot of bows and after a lot of trial and error I have found the Schafer Silvertip was the best shooting bow, for me, that I have ever shot.  BUT, that is just me.  Unfortunately everyone is different, even slightly, and that can make a difference.  Gotta try them both and see which one fits your style will be the only way to know for sure.  Good luck!  ~Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©