3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ALPACA  (Read 406 times)

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
ALPACA
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Had a lady at the Wisconsin trad banquet tell me that alpaca socks are super warm. Anyone have any experience with alpaca socks or clothing?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ALPACA
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I have a pair of llama socks that are very similar to the ones she was selling.  Warmest socks I have ever had!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
Alpaca is some of the finest wool available along with Vicuna,and they are pretty expensive.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I have an extra long Alpaca sweater that is super warm and really light weight.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
They are warm, and wear well, too.  Mine are 100% alpaca (purchased a few years ago) and  I bought them larger than necessary because I thought they would shrink from washing (cold water and woolite, hang dry).  Shrink they did.  Wouldn't hurt to put a little spandex or some stretchy material in them.  I don't find them any warmer or better wearing than any other well made heavy marino wool sock, such as a Filson, but they're another option.

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
I bought two pair from her.  I haven't given them a good test yet except around the house.  They are comfortable and warm and don't seem to trap odors.  I have worn one pair for 3 days with out any odor issues.  No moisture after 4 hours shoveling snow in Sorel's.  Very comfortable too.  I try to support these small local vendors.  If we don't help out the vendors they will stop attending the events and we will all miss that.  Jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
My wife has a hat and  a pair of socks that are Alpaca, she loves them.....very soft and warm!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Alpaca is great stuff.  Softer than most wools . . . but not necessarily warmer and I don't believe better wearing.  Depends on the yarns made from the fibers.  I had a pair of alpaca wool socks that were holed in one hunting season.  I have "strong" wool socks that have gone years and years (my wife spins and knits wool and we raise Shetlands and have raised Jacob in the past).  On the other hand, I have a pair of aplaca wool "glomitts" that keep going strong.  But trying to hold a drawn bow wearing one on your bow hand is a hazard to your nose.  Slick and smooth.

Each aplaca fiber is 7-8" long and down to 15 microns in diameter - which puts it in the same range with ultrafine Merino.  But ultrafine Merino lacks strength & wear.  Strong Merino is 23 to 25 microns.  Our Shetlands are 24 micron to 28 microns, but the fibers are only 4" long so you have more ends in the yarn - which contributes to the feel against the skin.  Course with lots of ends in the yarn = itchy.  Soft with less ends = itchless.

Human hair ranges 50 to 120 microns - in case you're still awake.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Her name is Sally Schmidt, and I bought a pair from her as well. Very comfortable. She say's not to layer them. I can't imagine my feet staying warm in really cold weather with just one pair of socks on.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
I don't nkow about alpaca, but I don't buy anything anymore but merino wool. I'E'....Smart Wool.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Go for them, you won't be sorry !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
Smartwool or Woolpower for me.
T ZZZZ

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Alpaca sweaters were all the rage in the late 60's. I had one and it was a very fine wool. I was just looking at the vendor list for the upcoming Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh NC and I see some one will be selling Alpaca socks. I'll have to check them out if I decide to go. (Dixie Deer Classic is not a Trad Only event)
Member NCBA

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
I have Alpaca socks and they are definitely warm, don't know if they are warmer than my merino or Woolpower, but warm.  My daughter has a couple of Alpacas that we sheer every year,  the fiber is very fine and can be woven densely making a warmer fabric.

My $.02

Tom

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
I buy Bison wool.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys and no Stumpkiller you did not put me to sleep. I thought it was very interesting. I found her business card in my wallet and they call their business SabambaAlpaca. My ongoing problem with socks is sz 14 foot and that's where most socks stop and any shrinkage and I'm tight and cold.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
My brothers back and chest is so hairy he doesn't need anything...he has his own wool       :laughing:    

I know the alpaca to be super soft and all the other attributes aforementioned.  My other "not so hairy brother" picked up some of the same socks, I'll be waiting to hear how those work out for him.

I am using alpaca silencers on my strings and they are very durable, but that is a different kind of wear compared to compressive foot/boot contact.

As for myself, I have a lot of Merino wool and in particular, Smart Wool, love it and couldn't have enough of it.

Love natural materials, all are better and healthier than a lot of other things (polypro) and better and more sustainable for our world.

We're likely splitting hairs here between different wools...pun intended.

Kris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©