3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I owned him at 20 feet and let him walk  (Read 880 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
I owned him at 20 feet and let him walk
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
I was hog hunting yesterday; passed on some wet sows with little 'sausages' hanging about. Soon I spied a boar at 30 yards through my bjnos, he was sleeping in a tangle of logs looking just like another fallen trunk. I stalked in and got to about 12 yds, he was snoring away and a log was protecting his vitals. I went in closer and at "really close" he stood up-I have seen a lot of big hogs; but never seen a hog quite this large so close-and he had no idea what was going on. He presented me with a perfect side on shot opportunity. My bow was up and I was almost at full draw, suddenly I put the bow down, he hung out for a moment and then ambled away. He really never realized what I was, the hogs in this area see very few hunters. And if I was a coyote or something he could have cared less.
What about you have you done the same-just passed on a gimme' shot?

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I owned him at 20 feet and let him walk
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
these are some of the great things about hunting.Its not always about killing.what a rush being that close to something that could have put you on your butt in two  seconds. hunts like these rank right up there with your trophy kills.every hunt has its own rewards.nice job

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
Awsome Tale My friend!!  :thumbsup:   Thats what this is  ALL  About!! Good on You!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »
I think I have enjoyed hunting since I started passing on deer that in the past I would have shot in a NY minute.  I almost always carry a camera these days and try to get a few pics of the ones I let walk.  I love to send those to my buddies and show them what came by.  I really love to hear then same "you let that one walk".  Now as for a hog I'm not sure I'm there yet.  I like my pork.
T ZZZZ

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
I have on trips, where I see a lot more game than I do in my home area.  Around here I have let animals walk, but only because I could not get a good shot, or blew it.  Maybe someday I will mature more than I have.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
Counting Coup!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
Sure.  Several times.  Its not about the killing.  Good on you.  But I would have taken a pic:)

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
guess my wife is right I can be immature!  I would have sent one for sure, unlees of course I had one in the freezer, then I would have taken a pic.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I've passed on shots due to all the reasons you should pass (shooting light, body position, animal alertness, animal age, etc). I have never passed just for the sake of passing.

No, I'm not a blood lusting killer that must end a life to feel successfull. I've been hunting over 40 years and always head outdoors to not only enjoy God's creation, but also go with the intention of reaping the bounty.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
If you are close enough to hear him snore......as far as I'm concerned ....you got him!!   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Sounds like you just didn't want to pack him out of there. That has happened to me a few times with deer since I have aged a little.LCH

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Around here we don't pass hogs they are very destructive to farm crops different strokes I guess depending on where you are in the states that being said sounds like you made a great stalk on a wild animal kudos to you I pass on young whitetail bucks all the time waiting on something mature shoot a few does for freezer all we need
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
You made a good stalk on a mature quality animal, that you were hunting, then didn't take the shot?  Your call.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I pass on a dozen deer a year now. Too small, let em grow up, mamma with twins, the twins, small bucks, large buck within eye range but not bow range so don't mess up and shoot the doe, etc. Lots of reasons but 47 bowhunting seasons under my belt is one of them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
I don't much believe in the stories " I could have killed him if I wanted" because even at only feet away anything is possible to mess up that slam dunk. He ain't dead until he's dead period.Kudos for letting them walk , I don't let much walk by me even after 30 years of bowhunting and 24 with trad, and I realize some are very particular about the shot and my hats off to them and there own convictions.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Some days I don't feel like killing anything, I quite often regret that later in the season.

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Nice when that happens.  I remember one hunt years ago, sitting on the side of a creek bed on the ground.  A nice 8 pointer came through the creek and stopped broadside inside of 15 yards.  It was a cool morning and the way the sun was coming through the trees, I could see the steam coming out of his nose, and moisture on his tines lit up like tinsel on a Christmas tree.  Drawing the bow never crossed my mind.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
You had already accomplished the  feat of, identifying the game and making the stalk in close.  You elected to "Count Coup" instead of burying the shaft.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Okay now tell the truth,  Adam is away at college and you couldn't bare the thought of working up and packing out all that sausage by yourself, right?????

There's no feeling on earth quite like having legal game inside that magic circle and knowing you have an extremely good chance at taking that animal at any given time.  The choice you make is a personal thing between you and your quarry and many factors weigh in on the outcome.

Cool story my friend, DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
Not enough opportunities for me out here to pass on an ethical shot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
Not enough opportunities for me out here to pass on an ethical shot.
I can understand that thinking.....I'm in the same boat. But I can see both sides.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©