3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most forgiving bow style for hunting?  (Read 1210 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most forgiving bow style for hunting?
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
The guy asked for opinions on the "most forgiving bow style" for hunting. Nothing about shooting form, or how to be a successful hunter... You guys are getting off track here. Learning to shoot and hunt effectively is a whole different topic.

Kirk
Well, if your form was perfect there'd be nothing to forgive.  When hunting we twist around, hold the bow at various angles, get tired, get excited, overdraw, underdraw, have wardrobe malfunctions, etc.  It's those things that a "forgiving" bow forgives.  

Besides, a bow never killed a deer.  It's the arrows!  Use the bow that puts a heavy enough arrow carrying a very sharp broadhead where you want it - under hunting conditions.  There is probably no single MOST forgiving bow style for all archers/bowhunters.  We're all different in our tastes and abilities.    :thumbsup:  

Though I have seen rabbits that were bow killed/clubbed.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I really like a 62" hybrid longbow for all of my hunting except out of ground blinds and then I use a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum. My favorites are my hybrids though. Easy to string, shoot, and carry.
James Kerr

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
It's been said many times by others, but a modern longbow can be made to handle close to a recurve - pistol grip, cut to center, speed - and its a little quieter.

For me a modern hybrid longbow is the most forgiving and is almost as short as a recurve (if your worried about maneuverability).
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Guilty as charged guys... i do try and sell a few bows on this forum, and i pay my dues for the right to do so. So please don't be offended by this.

There are a lot of different style bows out there an archer can choose from, and some are more user friendly than others for folks, depending on their hunting style.

Some guys have no problems getting in the groove and shooting well with any bow. Others struggle with it more. A forgiving bow is one that fits your grip well, you can easily use in your blind or tree stand with plenty of clearance, and you get set up with a good draw weight you can handle comfortably....

There are plenty of different bow styles to choose from. But finding the right one that feels good to you is important and makes getting in the groove much easier.    Kirk

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Best hunting bow in my stable for me is my Big Foot Sasquatch 60", a true hybrid that is a real pleasure to shoot, accurate, quiet and easy to maneuver.

Looking forward to the 'Stealth' bow Kirk    :bigsmyl:    as well as the SS.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
I would like to thank Kirkll for his advice.  I am happy that he contributed.  As an adult, i can decide the relative merits of someones comments taking into account his background.  He never tried to hide that he is a bowyer, so I am fine with that.  

I have decided on a Hill bow, it now remains for me to decide whether it is straight limbed, setback or with string follow. (I think I am using the correct terms?)

I am interested to see what kirkll will produce, aswell as what other bowyers offer.

Thanks
Alex

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Alex321.
    What town you live in.
I spent 2 1/2 years in Frankfurt.
    You wont go wrong with HHA Bow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Just a thought to add when you select your bow and when you compare bows, do so with bow styles at the same poundages to really feel how they sit in your hand and feel on the release.  Accuracy comes with practice, but all to often people overbow with to heavy a poundage and it is very difficult to develop a good shooting form and quite often bad habits are the result.  I prefer longbows and in the past 50 years of shooting and hunting, they just work for me.  I am 60 now and I started with a recurve at 10 years of age.  Through the years I have owned many different makes and poundages and I have found a need to adjust over the years.  For me if a bow feels right in your hand, you will probably enjoy shooting it, and if you will put in the time and effort to make it an extension of you as you hunt, you will find a lot of satisfaction.  There are lot of great bowyers out there (past and present) and it is a great feeling to carry a traditional bow while hunting.  Pick one and give it honest effort, success and reward will come both in the backyard, 3D shoots, stump shooting and hunting in the field.  In time learn to tie your own strings and build your own arrows.  best of luck to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©