3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schee's Pac Boots  (Read 273 times)

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Schee's Pac Boots
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
G'day Lads and Lasses,

On the verge of purchasing a pair of Schnee's Pac boots. Among other things, I like the fact that they are made in the USA (or so they advertise anyways) but that is just an aside.

Couple of questions: I'd like to hear some feedback from any Trad Gangers who have hunted in them.

I would be using them whilst on the move. No trees up here so no tree stands. Strictly roaming.

Am torn between the 13" and 16" model. The latter seems good and I like the cut of their jib, but I am concerned that the height would be uncomfortable and restrictive.

Am also torn between the insulated and uninsulated lines. Leaning towards the uninsulated, even though it is now hovering around freezing here and only getting colder. My concern about the insulated variety is that they may be too damn heavy for long distance trekking. If I go for uninsulated, I wonder, do they have enough room for heavy socks?

Any and all comments welcome. TJ Conrads had nothing but nice things to say about the boots but I would still like to get comments from the group who have in the past, proven to have excellent collective wisdom.

cheers mates

Robert

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schee's Pac Boots
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
I have insulated 16".  I can walk in them OK, but would get the 13" if I could do it over.

If the weather is over about 45*F they are too warm for me..even sitting still after about a 1/4 mile hike to my spots.  Below 45* they are AWESOME.

They are really a well made boot and I'm very happy with my purchase.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I have a pair of the 16 inch boots which have served me very well.  I can't remember the exact model but they have a tighter ankle and are made for hiking.  They are very comfortable when hiking steep hills in deep snow and walking on wet soggy ground.  They have an air bob bottom on them and have excellent traction on evry surface I have used them on.  When I bought mine they had the standard boot which has a very light but warm wool and thinsulite liner and a cold weather or artic boot that had an additional liner just over the foot area that was more thinsulate with reflective material also.  They explained to me that the regular boot would keep your feet warm when sitting still down to about 20 degrees farenhiet and the artic boot down to 0 degrees farenhiet.  There was only a minimal difference in the wieght.  I got the standard boot because at the time I didn't ever sit still and with a good liner sock with a thick wool one on top I have hunted in
-20 degree below zero weather comfortably while still hunting and if sitting they are good down to 0.  If you were going to be sitting in really cold weather a heat pack would be the ticket.  I got mine 2 sizes larger than my standard boot size to have the room for extra socks.  I also treated the leather uppers very well when I first got them and yearly since then.  Warmed them up in the oven them put on several coats of Pitch blend leather sealant with adittional trips through the oven between coats so it really soaks in good.  The best advice I can give you is that if you get them buy at least 1 extra pair of liners.  That way when you come in from hunting you just pull the one set out to dry and put the fresh set in the next morning before you head out again.  As far as I know they are still made in the U. S. Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
when the weather is nasty and cold i have mine on. i  bought them to replace my old Main Hunting boot that i had worn out. i like em and they are very well made.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Mr. Baffinland Archer,
The 16" uninsulated has served quite well down to around 15 degrees F when using thick Filson's wool socks.  With the leather properly treated every year, they have never leaked.
Only problem we have noticed is getting a proper fit for those of us who have wide feet.  You definitely have to order a larger size than normal.  They (factory sales) were most helpful in steering me to the correct size.
Best Wishes

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I replaced my 13" pair this last summer with a 16" pair, after sixteen years of hard use.  The leathers on the old pair were worn out and they refused to put new bottoms on them.  I had the bottoms replaced four times during the sixteen years.  For the most part I took good care of them but did neglect them a few times over the years, which led to their demise; otherwise they would still be in use.  I originally got the lightly insulated model, then the heavily insulated ones when I got new bottoms, then went back to the lightly insulated ones.  When I am moving the lightly insulated ones are good down to about minus 20 degrees (all degrees are Fahrenheit), but when I stop the moving they are only good down to about ten above.  I switched to the heavily insulated one for goose hunting and they were good down to about ten below but not much lower then that.  I finally got a set of Mickey Mouse boots for the goose and cold weather tree stand hunting and never regretted it.  The new pair will be used in milder weather (0 - +30) on treestands and when mountain lion hunting.  I ended up going one size larger then my normal boots, size 11 rather then 10 with the new pair.  I went with the 16” model because of the deep snow encountered when chasing the cats, but the 13” pair worked really well until the air-bobs wore off.  The air-bob soles are really nice for traction in the snow and on rocks but only have a life span of about three to four years for myself.  Other people I know have had them for over ten years and never had to replace the bottoms.  Another reason I wanted the 16” model was to get an extra three inches of wading ability.  There are times I still stalk one of my hunting areas by walking in a creek and if I am not careful the water comes over the tops of my old pair, hopefully the new pair will take care of this problem.  Wet feet when it is around zero degrees isn’t any fun.  Also, while on a two week rafting moose hunt in Alaska I put away the hip waders and used them exclusively after the second day.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Yep another   :thumbsup:  here, I have the uninsulated, 10" and insulated 13" both. They are bout my only hunting boots now, soft and quite. I wear the insulated practically everyday most all winter. I have two pairs of liners that I change out daily. When the snow gets deep I ussually throw gaiters on over them although I will have to look seriously at teh 16"ers next time but that's going to be a while.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
I have a pair of the 16" and they are the best boots I own. Well made and great design. Top quality craftsmanship, and thick leather.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
I have a pair of the 13" lightly insulated boots and the heavier pair. I absolutely love both pairs. The lighter version are great for active hunting in the snow and the more insulated pair is great for treestand hunting when it is real cold.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Lads,

The depth of knowledge and experience on this site never ceases to amaze me. Ditto for the willingness of people to help out. I reckon if I were looking for discount space shuttle parts, someone in this gang would know where to find them.

Thanks very much for the many responses, all of which have greatly assisted me in making my choice and all of which has given me more confidence in the choice I finally made. I ordered two pairs of the uninsulated ADV 13" guide pac: one size 10 and one size 11, just to make sure I get the right fit. I was really tempted to get the 16" model but reckoned that I simply don't need them to be that high.

It was particularly good to hear of the experiences of those hunters who live in cold climates similar to mine; not to discount the valuable advice from the lads from the warmer states, whose advice I equally value!

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to report back on my experiences after using them in the Canadian Arctic in the autumn. Conditions up here in October usually entail below freezing temperatures, light snow cover, rock outcrops that are slicker than dog snot, frozen ponds, partially frozen streams and rivers and generally rugged brutal terrain that will test these boots to the limit. It is good to hear, therefore, that these boots are built well and built in Montana and that a lot of experienced hunters swear by them.

As an aside, to the lads in Montana (Joseph, Walt, Doug): someday, I really want to visit your state...and maybe even hunt or tag along on a hunt. I keep hearing good things about Montana and judging by what I have read and from what I was told by a relative of mine who visited there a few years back, I think I could get on quite well down there. The culture and attitudes seem to be pretty much in sync with my own. And how can you not want to visit a state with the motto: "Big Sky Country".

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

cheers,

Robert

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I have 4 pair, among them both the 13 and 16 inch. Very happy with all of them. If you do any creek crossing, I would suggest getting the 16. Great service and will rebuild when necessary, course I can't seem to wear mine out.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Not to hijack, but can anyone give me a comparison of them to our East Coast version - L. L. Bean pacs?
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©