3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb confusion  (Read 210 times)

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb confusion
« on: February 20, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
I did post the below on another forum so I hope you guys don't take of fence if am asking in to different forums. I could use as much advice as possible.

I have searched and read, searched and read, but still confused. Would really appreciate some input, REALLY appreciate.
I have a Excel 21" riser and want to build a hunting bow. Looking at 45# TT black Max glass/wood limbs. I hear with my draw length of in the area of 28 inches on a recurve I should go with the Med. limbs while some say shorts are ok too drawing 28, 28.5 tops. Would like to keep the shortest AMO length which would be 62" but, I guess 64" wouldn't matter too much, smoothness would be nice too. After all just 2 extra inches, 64 I guess would work out too. Opinions?
Also , i hear 45# limbs on a 21" excel May not be actually 45# but give or take a pound or two? Opinions again?
I won't even bring up what type of string cause that would be a whole another question with I'm sure many answers.
Thanks in advance, joe

Ps, presently shoot a Samick Sage in 30# for practice and conditioning.
Spirit 46# Longbow,
Maddog Mountaineer Longbow

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Looking at trad techs site the black max are rated on a 17" riser so you will loose about 4# on the 21" riser. You might get by with shorts with the limb bolts backed out(also would cause a loss of a couple more pounds) or mediums you will be able to tighten limb bolts almost all the way in. Personally I would go with mediums as 2 inches is only one inch on each side and smoother to draw.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Joe03

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb confusion
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Ordered Mediums last night, 45#.  Thanks, Joe
Spirit 46# Longbow,
Maddog Mountaineer Longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©