3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best bowyers making Hil style bow?  (Read 1076 times)

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best bowyers making Hil style bow?
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
The Great Northern Traditional longbow is an excellant choice in a T.D IMO.The Jacknife T.D design is very very nice.

The Toelke Super D is also an excellant bow and can be made with the bowbolt and phenolic riser.

Both have very narrow slightly backset limbs.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Bamabows new Tribute model may fit the bill.  Nate seems to have a great reputation building.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Why does it need to be a takedown?  You can put two longbows in a three inch medium weight PVC tube for traveling.  I do have one takedown that gets strapped to my Beemer, when it is warm enough to take my motorcycle, it is a Robertson.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
Why does it need to be a takedown?  You can put two longbows in a three inch medium weight PVC tube for traveling.  I do have one takedown that gets strapped to my Beemer, when it is warm enough to take my motorcycle, it is a Robertson.
To carry with me to work and flying abroad all the time using public transport...Also cycling, which is a long way of saying I don't have a car...  :)

I think I should start a thread on the best form of takedown for a Hill bow... Sleeving seems quite common, but I have seen a few hinge mechanisms...

thanks to everyone for their imput.  As mentioned before I have the chance of buying a Northern Mist Superior, but I just feel that it is not what Hill himself recommended...It would not be a genuine hill copy...

Cheers
Alex

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
As stated, you can't go wrong with Howard Hill Archery..  Craig's work is excellent. David Miller and Nate Steen also produce rope quality Hill style bows available with vintage styling. If you can get a used Ametican Longbow by John Shulz, it's another great shooting, nicely made bow.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
As a take down, I think I like the mechanism used by Toelke with the bolt.  A sleeve does not seem as secure... Is this the case?
ALex

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
A sleeve style is very secure.Some bowyers use what is called a locket/socket.Widow,Big Jim and Caribow and others use this style.I have had widows and Big jims and they work great and are very strong

The brass and steel sleeve style is also popular.You have a choice thier with the large or small version.I have had these from Ken Rohloff of Whippenstick and also from Fox Archery.Wes Wallace also uses this style on his Royal longbow.I prefer the small as I like a smaller grip

I have been very happy with this style of TD from these 2 bowyers.Very strong.These were both made into a nicely contoured locator style grips using bondo and wrapped with leather.You could not tell they were T.Ds.

The brass/steel sleeve type T.Ds do add a little mass weight right where your hand sits on the grip.Thier unique in that quality

I have had a few bows built with the bow bolt as well.Its a slick system.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Thank you for all your advice.  I have ended up going with Steve Turay.  However, he will use an alternative to his usual connexion take-down system...

I will let you know what I think of it when it arrives.
Thanks for all the advice.
Alex

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©