3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your preferred arrow finish ?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
What is your preferred arrow finish ?
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Like the title says.
What is YOUR preferred arrow finish? Why?

I really like Formbys Highgloss. Why..... I have been using this finish for a longtime in my woodworking projects , I have an understanding of it and have perfected my application process. It is nothing more than a wiping varnish, but alas they all seem to respond and work differently and I just have my system down with it.

I am new to wood arrows so I have been experimenting with different finishes, and application processes.  I have tried dipping , which I love the fact that two dips is a nice glass like coat , but I'm still sticking with my Formbys.  I can have a good thick coat on in two days time and am happy with it.

So tell me about your finish
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your preferred arrow finish ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
My buddy Tony used Massey style epoxy finish (thin two ton with acetone) on his wooden arrows, and I was incredibly impressed. When I shot wood I used 3Rivers water based, but it was a mess. Wish I'd tried the epoxy. His arrows took a lot more abuse without needing any touch ups, and when he did he just wiped some on the spot and in twenty minutes it was good to go. I tried the finish on a selfbow, and was incredibly impressed with how durable and easy to apply it was(I did wax it afterwards for a really water tight finish though).

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
MinWax poly satin.  Not shiney and doesn't smear my Sharpie crests.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
Minwax Poly, waterbase, or oil base - semi gloss

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Minwax poly water base - semi gloss
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Watco

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I wipe on two or three coats of Tung Oil. Got the idea reading a post here, someone mentioned it was lighter, by around 30 grains,
than poly's, and my preferred shafts were weighing in higher than I wanted.

With the Tung Oil, I've been getting the weights right where I like.
I've been using three coats lately, on most of my arrows.Two good coats works well and save a day of drying time. Three coats start to look similar to the poly's, the third coat usually looks better than the two, in durability and appearance.

Simple to touch up, easy to work with, don't need a dip tube ( of course I have one anyway, dipped my first few dozen in water based poly). I make pretty simple arrows, have had no issues with compatibility with the Minwax stains, & Sharpies, duck, fletching tape, etc.

Mainly, the advantage for me is how light they finish. I'll be following along to learn more about some of the other finishes.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I use Minwax Wipe-on Poly water based Gloss.  The gloss is a little harder finish than the semi gloss.  Minwax isn't as tough as ProFin, but a lot less expensive, easy to clean up and easy to apply with a piece of soft cloth.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
Minwax wipe-on Poly, oil base. 4 coats with enough time between coats to dry hard and slick. If you shoot into 3d targets and get wear up front you can just re-apply over the worn area, it will blend in fine.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Minwax oil base gloss poly thinned a bit; 3 dips.  I find the oil base to be a much tougher finish than the water base and the gloss is tougher than the satins in any finish.  I prefer to dip, but you can wipe on straight from the can, just keep the coats thin.  Thin coats make for a tougher finish and much less if any target burn.  Lots of folks like the water base finishes such as Polycrylic.  I tried several and they just didn't hold up for me like the oil base.  Profin is a very good finish, too, but not easily obtained in the Midwest.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drewster:
I use Minwax Wipe-on Poly water based Gloss.  The gloss is a little harder finish than the semi gloss.  Minwax isn't as tough as ProFin, but a lot less expensive, easy to clean up and easy to apply with a piece of soft cloth.
I mix Minwax gloss with mineral spirits. About 50/50. Excellent hard finish. If I want to dull it I'll steel wool it.

Dip tube.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
I use the massey finish but substitute denatured alcohol for the acetone, have tried it both ways. Just got finished putting a coat on an osage self bow and a dozen surewoods about an hour ago. For me it's the easiest finish around. Kids brought me an arrow they found in the woods the other day broken but finish done its job well. Used a hickory selfbow all winter in all types of weather finish held up great.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
I should note I use the thicker Minwax oil poly and cut 50/50 with mineral spirits. I leave it in the tube with no setup issues over time. Filled it last Nov and used the same stuff a week ago to seal a crested carbon Gold Tip. Had to dip most of the arrow to get to the cresting on the already fletched shaft.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
Minwax wipe on poly ( oil based)

I start with a few coats of gloss and finish with a few of satin.

Goes on easy and smooth with bounty towels.
Dries quick
Local hardware carries it.
I use it for bows too.
Duco grips to it very well for my feathers.
Fletch tape sticks to it well also
I can write something on one layer of the finish with a sharpie and then go over with more coats with zero smearing.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
1. Tung oil
2.  Minwax wipe on poly
3.  Tru oil

Tru oil is actually great stuff, but stores around here dont carry it except in aerosol cans.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
I still use Fletch-lac, but I'm planning to change to a less toxic finish.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I use plain minwax wipe on water based poly.....light smoothing between coats with scotchbrite pad until sealed or reach level of gloss I want.  Usually 5-6 coats is all I do for our humid wet hunting in southeast.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Nice to hear what y'all are doing
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
I have been using Gasket Laq. the last few years. I have had cracking issues lately. There was a thread about this not to long ago. When my supply is gone I am going back to Wipe On poly.
I do some woodworking and like to try different finishes. I am thinking of using hot boiled linseed oil to "age" the shafts first. Then apply the wipe on poly.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
After staining the bottom portion, Minwax Poly w/o thinning it out. 4 coats hand rubbed in, lightly steel wool in between coats.

Then it's Fletch Lac paints for my crown dipping.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©