3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpack Hunters  (Read 557 times)

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpack Hunters
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
I'm considering my first backpack hunting trip.  For those with experience doing this, how do you carry your bow and arrows?  Did you choose a bow to make it easier to carry, if so what did you choose?
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpack Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
I've done a few backpack hunts for sheep and Mt goats where having both hands free was essential. A two piece T/D longbow was the best system I found for that type of hunt. Stored out of the way in my pack and assembled in seconds when neeeded.

Jack Shanks

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Pretty bow Jack... Obviously TD bows would make this task less compelling.. If no TD? There are several packs on the market that have options to strap bows/gear to the pack. I am curious what guys do with their arrows on a pack-in trip? Especially woodies????

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
I have done several trips, goat, mule deer, elk.
I always keep my bow in hand, bears etc.....
I usually have my quiver with some arrows and have a tube with spare arrows and arrow heads in a pack.

I do have several three piece recurves and can break down if necessary (pack into clothing or sleeping bag in pack), also leave enough room in tube for all arrows if need be.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I have gone on hunts with my bow strung and strapped to my pack. In steep or brushy country it is a pain. Your bow is either catching on overhead brush or dragging on the ground when you are going down hill.

I've been in more than one situation where having my hands free to grab something meant the difference between life and death. Glad I wasn't holding a bow at the time. But to each their own.

I use a Great Northern strap on quiver and usually tie it off to the outside of the pack if there isn't room inside.
Jack Shanks

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
I've always just carried mine but only once was I in a spot that I was scared enough to strap it on my backpack.  So I guess it depends on your situation.  My hunts are for deer or elk.  Obviously extreme sheep and goat hunts are a different matter.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
like said  a 2 pc TD longbow is ideal.. but my pack hunts were to a camp that i hunted out of, and didnt need access to my bow while hunting. so i used a 3 pc recurve that i could put in or strap on my pack, as far as the arrows a tube works great but weight is always a major factor. just pack your hunting quiver like your bow.. ive also packed with a 1 pc longbow ... i just carried it...wood arrows take a little more care and this is where a light weight tube works good
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by bartcanoe:
I'm considering my first backpack hunting trip. ..., how do you carry your bow and arrows?
I pack hunt up to five days a time unless I stash food. Its the food that will make your pack grow.
I carry in my hand since I have a one piece with a bow quiver. If extra arrows I have room side of pack.
 Since weight is an issue, I get by with five arrows. Figure if it can't be done with five I better take up golf.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
I shared camp with Jack Shanks on one of the same goat hunts he went on and I am a little younger and more nimble than Jack...or so I thought, and I carried my strung bow the whole time and carried my arrows strapped to my pack in a mini-Catquiver with no issues on that hunt.  I never did like the way the broadheads were somewhat exposed in the Catquiver and was always afraid I would cut my bowstring because you are constantly switching hands with your bow as you are climbing and descending.  I din't like a bow quiver for the same reasons.  As a kind of self-fulfilling prophesy, I did in fact cut my bowstring on the edge of one of my broadheads on another goat hunt a couple years later.  After that I swore off the Catquiver and switched to one of Rod Jenkins quivers which keeps the arrows much better protected, and strapped that to my pack.  This past year I took about a 60' sphincter clenching fall on a sheep hunt and I can honestly say that it happened so fast it wouldn't have mattered if I had both hands free or not, or whether I was using trekking poles.  The bow came out of my hand after about the third barrel roll and second somersault down the mountain and amazingly was still shootable even though it looked pretty rough (anyone want to buy a "lightly" used Bear TD?).  Based on the damage to my backpack, I think the bow would have been destroyed if it was strapped on to it.  Thankfully Rod's quiver kept all the arrows secure so I didn't get skewered.  Once he saw I was still alive despite looking like the victim of a serious grizzly mauling, my guide told me how impressed he was with the degree of difficulty of some of the aerial acrobatics I had performed.  Knowing what I know now, I would never consider anything but one of Rod's quivers for that kind of backpack hunt. I would still carry my bow in my hand, and I still wouldn't use trekking poles either, but everyone is different. As my Dad used to say, if you are going to be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Only once did I carry mine in my pack I have in m,y hand just in case it is hunting session and I have seen a bull while packing.  I cant shoot one with it in my pack.     Widow

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Gregg,

Glad you survived the fall! Proves it can happen even to the very best of them.  

Because of back problems my backpacking/mountain hunting days are over. Better to do them while you are young and able.
Jack Shanks

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks Jack.  Sh*t happens fast.  Knew you were having back problems, sorry to hear things haven't improved.  I am trying to get a couple of Sherpa's through immigration right now.  That may extend my mountain hunting days! Let me know if you want to adopt one also! Haha.

"Better to do them while you are young and able" - you are right on that one.  I am not getting any younger either.  Hopefully the young guys on this site will heed your wisdom before it is too late.  If you wait until you have the money and the time, the two will almost never coincide and you will never do it.  If you make the plans, you will find a way to make it happen.

Gregg

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
For me it depends on the terrain,what I'm hunting, and the time of year.   Usually when I pack in for elk I just do as most above have stated and carry in my hand.  When I pack in for mule deer I'm usually going in a day or two before season starts and in much steeper, nastier terrain so I'm more likely to take my 3 piece recurve apart and put it in my pack leaving my hands free.  I use the large thumb knobs on my limb bolts so I don't have to mess with an allen wrench.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
I used to pack my take down and wait till I got to my destination. After having several shots not taken on the way in I carry it my hand with access to arrows handy. This was in the Adirondacks only going in 3-5 miles.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
If I am just going in for the first time, and I haven't already set up base camp, I would probably carry my 2pc. bow in my  back pack, or in my Safari tuff quiver, which is strapped to the side of my pack along with the arrows, keeping them separated.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
I much prefer two piece bows and agree a longbow is probably a little quicker.  I always carried it in hand and figured the take down feature would come in the most handy on the pack out.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
carry mine in my hand.  never had a reason to strap it on.
is it September yet??

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
When I was doing elk and mule deer backpack hunts I carried my bow in my hand. I'd rather have trekking poles in each hand on a sheep or goat hunt though.
Jack Shanks

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I carry my bow in my hand, arrows are in a bow quiver.  Trekking poles are strapped to the pack until I need them, then the bow gets taken down and it goes in the pack, arrows on the sides.  I won't do a mountain hunt without trekking poles ever again.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I mostly use a bow hook attached to the backpack hip belt ( basically a j shaped mild steel hook enclosed in nylon webbing) to hang my bow from which leaves my hands free. My Bob Lee T/D with a EFA 4 arrow quiver balances nicely from the hook. No extra arrows needed. Bow may be strapped to pack in tricky accents.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©