3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thought this was easy  (Read 506 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought this was easy
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:43:00 PM »
Well when I started back to traditional I thought it would be easy.  Grab a bow, tab arrow and go shoot.  Well I guess it is easy to shoot a bow but do it well is another issue.  

As I try to perfect my shot and accuracy I find myself reading and watching videos to make sure I am doing it right.  What I have noticed is there is plenty of good advice but trying to take it to the range is very difficult without a coach being there to observe what you are doing wrong.  Like most I struggle with consistency.  One day I shoot lights out and others well you know just so so.  

Today I watched a video of John Schultz that was posted here on TG.  I know I have heard it before but for some reason this time it struck and I was able to take it to the range.  

And the tip was to make sure the shoulders are pointed at the target.  My bow arm shoulder was not in position.  Not sure what caused it but the shoulder was distinctly pointing left of the target.  Pointed the bow arm shoulder where s was supposed to be and boy did the grouping improve.  To test it out I opened my stance more than would be normal and then insured my shoulder pointed to the target. Shots went right where I was looking.  

I was so concerned with my draw arm and getting back tension involved I missed what was going on up front.
T ZZZZ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thought this was easy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
My take is that trad archery is simple; very basic equipment, draw, anchor, release. However, simple is not neccesarily easy. Little tweaks may make big differences. Kind of like golf, but more fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Some days it is, some not so much. That's what draws us all to this way of shooting/hunting. When that target or critter faces you, we never really think this is a sure thing as we do with other forms of shooting/hunting.

Embrace, enjoy and most importantly LEARN from your misses.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
The thing about that form and taking it to the fundamental letter by following every detail, is that your entire shot comes together.  Where I have seen many go wrong with it is when they try to work on every aspect of that form at once.  If you work on each part individually, from the grip all the way to the follow through, the learning process is quicker.  The other one is the release, Schulz teaches a very strong release, even though he keeps it in his face.  The release I see fellows quite often do is, they release soft and then after the arrow is long gone they pull their hand past their ear with what they call a follow through.  When you get to that hard short Schulz style release, you will see tighter groups, better arrow flight and increased arrow speed.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Like they say..."if it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
An old friend of mine always said "I said it was simple. I never said it was easy!"

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Tracker12,
 Where can I find the John Schultz video? I Googled John Schultz Tradgang and could not find the video. I am always looking for something that will help be improve.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
PAVAN, Thank you, I appreciate it.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
If you don't have anyone to watch and coach, setting up a camera, or having your significant other film you  as you shoot can give you a lot of feedback. Sometimes even having someone explain something is not nearly as effective as watching yourself.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Video is on the list for this weekend.  Might be scary all the bad things I may see:)
T ZZZZ

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Traditional shooting is very easy. It's just like being married, sometimes you just ask yourself what's wrong, that's the same thing I did yesterday   :knothead:

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Wow, I did not know Mr. Schultz was that good of a shot....
    Sometimes at the range I'll get mad at myself while doing an aimed shot and miss, and then do the swing draw and hit the bulls eye....It dose work....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
If I want to see how tough my garage is, all I need to do is look at my drawn arrow to check my draw length and release.  I have one set aluminums with light points that I left long so I can shoot them with my light recurve, I cannot feel my draw length with that combination.  That is a huge advantage to shooting an arrow and bow setup so you can draw to a familiar spot.  Schulz shot net length and could feel front ledge of point on his index finger, net length cedars also fly very nice out of a longbow.  I shoot either net length or just long enough so my finger tags the back of the point or broad head.  When I do not do this, when I want to check my draw length, I need my wife to check it.  She must have two slow eyes, because if I do not hold extra long she cannot make up her mind.  Which of course will give completely false reading.  Shooting arrow lengths where one can feel either the back edge or the front corner of the point on the index finger is much easier and is the best way for getting a consistent draw length.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
If I want to see how tough my garage is, all I need to do is look at my drawn arrow to check my draw length and release.  I have one set aluminums with light points that I left long so I can shoot them with my light recurve, I cannot feel my draw length with that combination.  That is a huge advantage to shooting an arrow and bow setup so you can draw to a familiar spot.  Schulz shot net length and could feel front ledge of point on his index finger, net length cedars also fly very nice out of a longbow.  I shoot either net length or just long enough so my finger tags the back of the point or broad head.  When I do not do this, when I want to check my draw length, I need my wife to check it.  She must have two slow eyes, because if I do not hold extra long she cannot make up her mind.  Which of course will give completely false reading.  Shooting arrow lengths where one can feel either the back edge or the front corner of the point on the index finger is much easier and is the best way for getting a consistent draw length.
And of course, I apologize for miss spelling, iPad not same as PC. I need put bow site. On iPad pen.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
If you don't have anyone to watch and coach, setting up a camera, or having your significant other film you  as you shoot can give you a lot of feedback. Sometimes even having someone explain something is not nearly as effective as watching yourself.
2X on the video camera. try and place the camera on a ladder shooting down on you from the back so you can see your alignment. The biggest mistake most beginning archers make is trying to establish an anchor point before learning proper bow alignment and correct body position.

I've seen many self taught archers that spent years short drawing their bows before getting their alignment correct and learning about using back tension. I've seen as much as 1.5" increase in draw length achieved, and serious increase in accuracy after getting squared away and spending time on the bail.

Your best bet is to get some coaching and some bail time in.  Kirk

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
As I recover from double fusion back surgery, I feel like I am starting over.
Good posts to review and reflect.

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
There is VERY LITTLE that is easy about traditional archery! That is a big part of what makes successes with a stick bow so rewarding!

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
A cop friend of mine that I taught trad archery to says, if it were easy, I would not be doing it.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
If it was easy, we'd call it your mother.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©