3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow tip question  (Read 310 times)

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow tip question
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
I notice folks tend to go on about skinny/narrow tips on longbows. Is there some actual performance gain with narrow tips or is it just cosmetic preference?
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow tip question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
I'm sure there is. No expert here but it might be a good one to ask in the bowyers bench. I think I've read before it helps the bow "recover" faster and reduce handshock.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
The larger the tips are, the more they weigh.  Being on the end of the limbs any extra weight slows how fast the limb can recover.  And when the limbs come to a stop, there is more weight to get stopped.  So the smaller the tips, the better is a general consensus.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Just as Hermon said. Usually reduces hand shock.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Tip weight matters, a little even in low draw weights.

Larry Hanify can help more with info from Blacky Schwartz's independent test of A&H's lighter tips.

Contact Larry at A&H for details.  He knows what matters.  Tx.

Regards,
Kevin

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Any extra weight in the limb anywhere slows it down some.  So the lighter the limb, the faster, all other things being equal.  Narrowing the limb is one way to decrease limb weight.  However, in most bows, unless there's a corresponding increase in limb thickness, It also lowers draw weight. There are always tradeoffs.

ACS limbs get their speed from a number of sources.  One is the patented concave/convex limb cross section. Two is the carbon used on the back and belly (lighter and stiffer/stronger for its weight than fiberglass). Three is the thin core material.  Because of the design and carbon back and belly, very little core wood is needed; a couple of thin maple actionwood laminations usually suffice.  Bamboo is also an option and is even lighter.

Because of the limb design and carbon, ACS limbs are among the lightest and fastest longbow limbs available. Their limbs are  thin, but not particularly narrow. They also use carbon for limb tip overlays, keeping weight to a minimum there as well.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
So what I'm getting here if I understand correctly is that if a bow with wide limbs and tips is narrowed down, speed will increase and draw weight will decrease. Basically canceling each other out and achieving the same (or close to the same) speed at a lighter draw weight? With less hand shock? It sounds like a win to me. Thanks guys!
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
I wouldn't go that far.  It's not a one-to-one ratio.  If you narrow the limbs, you're going to lose draw weight, and it will have a bigger effect in reducing speed than the physical weight reduction in the limbs will have in increasing speed. In short, if you take the limbs down, you're going to lose draw weight and performance, i/e., your bow will be slower.

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Please discuss this aspect with Larry Hanify at A&H.
From Blacky's test of the Gen-2 ACS limbs, there is a velocity increase for the same draw weight.
Regards.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Yes.  If you make two sets of limbs the same draw weight and one set is narrower and lighter than the other, it will be faster, all other things being equal.

If I understand the conclusion Paul R draws in his post between my two above, he's hypothesizing about what would happen if you  take down/narrow an existing limb.  As I said, that would reduce it's performance.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
I've herd you can reduce bow draw weight by 5 Lbs just by rounding the corners off....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
You can knock off some weight rounding off corners and removing glass, but you could mess up a bow if you aren't careful.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Mike g, I take off 7# on a longbow from the sharp edged, cut out blank to final finish.  You would have to trap a limb that's already been finished to lose 5#.  Some bowyers may not round their edges as much as I do so your milage may vary.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
I reduced a longbow that was 51@26, that had a pronounced bend right off the fade outs.  It had a tendency to have side to side misses and quite a lot of limb wobble. I shot the bow for distance before the trimming.  After, It was 7pounds less, less shock, more accurate and shot same arrows well, it also shot them the same distance.  That was years ago and the bow is still in full service for the person that I gave it to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©