3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any good outdoor field target ideas out there?  (Read 616 times)

Offline IsraelHands

• Trad Bowhunter
any good outdoor field target ideas out there?
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for out door field targets?

It seems I read a forum a while back where someone was talking about shooting empty bleach bottles hanging from a string on a tree and the person set up a walking field archery course with these targets at various distances.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for inexpensive homemade targets?  Im considering making my own walking field archery course in the woods behind my house.  Any ideas?

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: any good outdoor field target ideas out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Burlap sack stuffed full of plastic bags, old clothes, rags etc.

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
i've taken buddies out using milk jugs filled with plastic bags. as your walking around just throw one. shoot as it's flying, rolling, or once it has stopped. built in handle, light weight, you can use a lanyard and have a few strapped to your belt. tennis balls, waffle balls, water bottles are great small targets. i wear BDU pants when i'm out with them. you can pack 4 bottles in your pockets and throw any distance and have fun.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Walmart often has somewhat soft foam balls for kids, about baseball size,  Some are white and painted like baseballs, others are red or blue.

I buy them on sale, but they are not that expensive.  

Take a large spike (nail), heat it real hot and push it thru each one.  Then, using a long nose pliers or better, a forceps, push a strong  1/8" cord thru it and tie several knots to make a big knot.  The other end is kept long, as much as 6'.  

Then I go thru my woods and hang them from branches just off the trails (hang em so they are just off the ground).  Use blunts and when you hit them they fly up and around, but generally fall right back to their spot.

I shoot at these from close on out to "where the heck is it" distance, and between trees etc.

There are also smaller green balls, for some little ball shooting gun, that are more ping pong ball sized.  I do the same and call these bunnies, for closer shots.

I have seen the same done using bottles, but you tend to puncture them and they are a bit harder to remove the arrows.

ChuckC

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by dhermon85:
Burlap sack stuffed full of plastic bags, old clothes, rags etc.
these are the best, I use seed bags filled with grocery bags or plastic sheeting from furniture stores, people are to happy to get rid of both.

I have even sewed mine into animal shapes, goat, deer, etc. by using a couple bags and sewing out the neck and head outline on the second bag and sewing them together.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
I use bricks of peat moss. They are around $10 at most local stores selling garden stuff. They catch the arrows well and hold up pretty well. Once you've shot one to the point of destruction you can just dump it out and rake it into the grass.
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
My favorite: 5x5 round hay bales still in the hay field
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Try using old three-D target cores and paint them orange, then have a pumpkin shoot!

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
I use fluorescent orange/green tennis balls with ace blunts...  they hold up remarkable well...

Good luck and lots of great ideas on here!

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
My buddy and I blow up several balloons of various sizes/colors and scatter them throughout the course. Make sure of a good backstop.  

We take turns and makeup our own scoring system, usually with a certain color getting a bonus.
Lon Scott

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I and a buddy "Possum head"made up our own 3D range using old carpet to make bodies and Masonite to cut out heads and tails.  Came out looking pretty good, here a couple of pic's of the target and the full link below.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105031#000000
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
I made a feed sack course in my back woodlot. The bags are plastic, stuffed with plastic, tied off and wired to saplings along a path. Totally weather proof and last for many years. When one gets ragged I stuff it inside a new bag and hang it back up.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
If you can find it old, fiberglass screening makes great outdoor targets.  I used to work by an awning company and they let me pull a bunch out of their dumpster.  But they typically don't keep a lot of waste on hand at any one time.

U-Stuff-It Targets in Delevan, WI (owned by Trendsetters) sells bag targets in animal shapes that make great 3-D style targets.  I have three of these.

No website but here's a link to info.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/U-Stuff-It-Targets/117686161589814

https://www.facebook.com/TrendsettersWI

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54318230@N07/5187526510/
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »

A couple I made of of builders styroform,
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Doradohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I have  rinehearts rift ball and have tons of fun with it rolling throwing and easy to travel with I take mine to my tree stand during mid day and take a shot or 2 at it...just to prepare for a big one  :)

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
Try some old fire hose about 6 inch id. Fit the hose over a short block of wood with a wooden base to keep it upright. Make the hose about 2 feet long. use judo points to avoid damage. This is not my idea but it does work well.

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Burlap bags stuffed with old tarps or any plastic... Can't beat them! Almost free too!

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Or you can build  :knothead:   some of these, stuffed with shrink wrap /plastic shopping bags (weather proof ) or old clothing(remove zippers and buttons)and line with the Plastic bag new  mattresses come in for shipping(found in dumpsters behind any store selling mattresses)  http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-lifetime-archery-target/   :archer2:  If you plan to move the target add wheels.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
funny, I was just thinking about making a throwable burlap target this this morning. Yesterday I went out into my backyard to shoot a few arrows at my Rinehart ball target.  This is a nice target, but it is small so sometimes you miss - usually a little high or a little low.  Anyway, my last shot was a tad high and the arrow grazed the top of the ball.  This deflected it up (at a high rate of speed) into my...

Whooops!!!   :scared:

With the angle that I was shooting from it's probably not physically possible for a high deflection out of my yard, but I don't think I'll be testing that theory anytime soon.  Burlap bag it is!

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Here's my basement target made from an old tv cabinet  :thumbsup:  
and my garage  :archer:   monster best part is the 2 finger arrow pull  :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©