3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Move to Wyoming  (Read 866 times)

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Move to Wyoming
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Well guys, wish me luck. Although my retirement and living dreams have been for Northern Idaho, I may be moving to Wyoming near the town of Powell. I teach Special Education so there always seems to be available jobs and this particular school seems to really be interested in me. I have a SKYPE interview this upcoming week. I am looking at the towns of Powell and Lovell as places to live. Any comments, thoughts, about the area for hunting, hiking, camping, fishing, and all facets of outdoor living would be appreciated. Since it is in the Bighorn Basin and not far from Yellowstone it sounds like close second to Heaven to me.....   :)
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Move to Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
Jerry,
You got my email, didn't you? Good luck on your interview. Wyoming is a great place.
Pat
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I've never been to Wyoming, but it is one of those places that I would love to go. It does sound like heaven to me...in fact I'm a little jealous!    :D

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
Jerry,  I think you will love it.  I lived in SW Wyoming through the '90's, and left because of a family reason.  I think I have missed it every day since I left, and plan on retiring there.  It is great, and the Powell area is very beautiful.  There is some great hunting available in the state.  I am envious!!
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Yes Pat, thank you for the email
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Good luck.  If you need a hunting partner, please let me know.  I will be back to that State many times in the fall.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Powell is a great town and area.You got the bighorns to the east and the rockies to the west( watch out for grizzly.)  :scared:  You also have great flyfishing either direction with walleye not to far.Peasant and chukar hunting too.
     Good luck

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:01:00 PM »
It's a great place. Though I think they frown on shooting the peasants.
   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
I have been to Lovell.....kind of a neat area. Big Horn Canyon was not to far away, that was cool also. I hope it works out for you.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Charlie, I thought most of us were peasants????

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
As bad as game numbers are getting in Montana, I've been toying with the idea of moving there my own self.  I went down there in the spring of 2010.  Went down to Laramie, then back to the North Platte to do some flyfishing.  I loved all the towns we stopped in.  Everybody was pretty laid back.  The atmosphere reminded me of Montana 30 years ago.

I could move to Wyoming pretty easy.  If they just had a plywood mill that needs a millbilly.

Offline Wyostikbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Jerry,
Good luck on your interview. Powell is a really nice little town. It has about the nicest weather of any town in Wyoming. Usually not a bunch of snow and the wind is almost non-existent compared to the rest of Wyoming. Should be great hunting and fishing very close to you and some of the most spectacular scenery with the Bighorns on one side and Yellowstone on the other.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
im a lifer in north idaho and the way things have been going wyoming is sounding better all the time...in case u didn't know it we have lost a lot of hunting season in the last couple of years...

fishing is just plain crowded...SO...enjoy wyoming while it's still enjoyable !!!

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
WY is an awesome place to live can I come!!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
My brother and I had some property between Powell and Lovell outside of a little crossroads called Deaver.  The pheasant hunting was unreal and there were some good deer.  It was tough bowhunting on our place as it was mostly ground hunting, but my brother took a couple of whitetails with a rifle that went almost 160 inches.  It was hot, dry country in the summer.

D.P.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Good luck Jerry!

If I were to move anywhere, Wyoming would probably be first choice.   ;)
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
You will have the Big Horns to the East and Shoshone Natl Forest (Grizzly/Wolf and BIG country) to the west. I would recommend living in Cody. It's only about 30 minutes from Powell. You can be fishing the North Fork of the Shoshone anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes from Cody and all the way upstream to Pahaska Teepee the river is a stone's throw from the highway. Yellowstone Natl. Park is right there also. Cody has much more to offer for shopping, eating, etc. but will be more expensive and is pretty busy during the tourist season. Once you see Cody it will be tough to live anywhere else. There is a nice outdoor archery range about 10-15 minutes East of town. Standard butt targets and walking course and some Trad guys in the area.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tav:
You will have the Big Horns to the East and Shoshone Natl Forest (Grizzly/Wolf and BIG country) to the west. I would recommend living in Cody. It's only about 30 minutes from Powell. You can be fishing the North Fork of the Shoshone anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes from Cody and all the way upstream to Pahaska Teepee the river is a stone's throw from the highway. Yellowstone Natl. Park is right there also. Cody has much more to offer for shopping, eating, etc. but will be more expensive and is pretty busy during the tourist season. Once you see Cody it will be tough to live anywhere else. There is a nice outdoor archery range about 10-15 minutes East of town. Standard butt targets and walking course and some Trad guys in the area.
Tav, you forgot to mention the Buffalo Bill Museum.      :saywhat:    
We've been to Cody several times, I like Cody!   ;)
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
When you drop out of the Bighorns on Alt 14 things are pretty stark along that road, but oh my, the critters we saw while messing around on the alpine meadows in the Bighorns had me thinking about leaving Iowa this summer.

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Born n raised in buffalo and lived in Cody for over 8 years and recently moved back home.  Absolutely love Cody country and try to keep hunting there every chance I get!  Give me a shout when you get settled n can talk about the country!  Of all the places I've backpacked or ridden the Cody country is my favorite!  It's big wild country--gotta luv it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©