3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for wall tent owners  (Read 652 times)

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
question for wall tent owners
« on: February 24, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I've never had any experience with wall tents. I was just wondering if they can be put up by one man? If so, what would be about the largest one guy would want to handle alone?
  I was thinkin maybe one large enough to sleep 3-4 comfortably and with room for a small wood stove.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: question for wall tent owners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I have a 9x12 wall tent with high sides (5'), which makes it a little taller than most tents that size and a tad harder to set up by myself, but it's not a terribly large chore.  Just need to bring a bucket along to stand on to tie the top of the tent to the center pole at the ends.

A 9x12 is a good size for one or two people, though you can squeeze three into it with a stove. And this is just sleeping/lounging quarters.  Would need to set up your kitchen/cooking area in a tarp outside. Too small for four people, IMO.

Might want to go to a 12x14 if you plan on four people.  Nothing like a wall tent.  Good luck.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
There is a breed of wall tent, albeit round in shape, that uses a center pole, so putting that one up should be fairly easy.

ChuckC

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks Orion. I will probably be camping alone most of the time. A wood stove might draw my sons in there with me though lol.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Kodiak makes a 1pc wall tent easy to set up alone

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Beckel makes an aluminum frame for their tents that one person can quite easily set up any size wall tent.  They also go bt Eena tents.  Mine is an Egyptian sail canvas Eena, I use an aluminum center truss.  I can set it up by myself, but it is much easier with one person to help steady things.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I have a 12' X 14' wall tent with 4' walls and the traditional pole set and I can put it up by myself in about 30-40 minutes.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I had a 9' x 12'.  With an internal steel pipe frame.  It wasn't hard to put up.  You get the top of the frame together, drape the tent over it, and hoist up, adding the legs last.  But, it (tent and frame) was huge and heavy.  Seemed like it took up half of a pickup bed.  I downsized to an 8' x 10' Kirkland canvas tent.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
All right guys. Thanks for the good info! Thats a good looking setup Tater! At least I have a starting point now.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
A suggestion.  If you get a wall tent, get the 5 foot walls.  It helps you utilize the available space better.  You don't have to duck down as much.  A 12 x 14 sleeps 3 to 4 with a wood stove.  But as Orion said above, it would leave hardly any room for the kitchen, which I personally prefer outside the tent under a tarp or built tarp shelter.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I have done the wall tent route and have gone over to a 12x12 alaknak tent.Its much easier and faster to put up.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
ChuckC mentioned a "round" tent.  Technically, it's called a "Bell Tent".  Mine takes about 15 minutes to set up if I go slow.  One pole and quite a few stakes.  Bjorn has one as well.

There are a few different manufacturers of these.  Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Regards,
homebru

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
I have bell tent, and used wall tents and tipi's a bunch.
Can say for sure that the bell tent is my favorite, peg down the floor, go inside, push up the center pole, get people and gear inside, then go around the outside and do the guy lines, whole thing only takes me a few minutes , literally!!
I have a Simms folding wood stove in mine.
Very very affordable ,tons of space etc, I love them!!!

Besides there are no corners for a bear to catch you in   :D

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Go to the Davis tent website. His young daughter puts one up by herself and it's on video.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
The alaknak and the bell tents are one and the same.I didn't know they were called bell tents too  :knothead:  
      But the whatever you call them ,they go up fast and are a great tent.

Offline RustyJames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
I have a 14' x 16' canvas wall tent  made by Rainier Tents up in Seattle that I've spent many a vacation living in for weeks at a time. I have managed to put it up on my own in the past, but I don't think I could manage it in these post-50 days (not without suffering the lower back consequences). Very doable with two, though.  Mine is the traditional style with the poles, but every time I put it up I swear I'm going to get/build/ buy an internal frame. Seems much easier.  When it's all set up,with the stove running, you start to wonder why you have a regular house at all. No where near as convenient as modern technology camping equipment, but if you were too hung up on mod cons, you probably wouldn't be looking at this forum in the first place.
Morrison ILF, W&W Recurve Limbs
'98 Damon Howatt Hunter, 40#,
'72 Bear Kodiak, 45#
Damon Howatt Coronado, 45#, 58"
Howatt "Super Diablo" (compound), 50#

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
Isn't Bell the name of one of the manufacturers of (but not the only)  the round tent?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
I've owned just about every kind of wall tent made and more than thoroughly tested them out. Do your self a favor and check out Kodiak. I got a 10 x 14 last year. Nice high sides and absolutey the best and easiest tent of that size I have ever owned. I can complete setup in about 15 minutes by myself.

God bless, Steve

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
Bell and Alaknak tents are not the same thing.  Amoung other issues, one uses breathable canvas fabric the other does not.  While I have never owned a Bell, I have had an Alaknak and the material issue is why I no longer own it.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Personally I think a 12x14 is as large as I'd want to set up by myself with an internal frame.  I have a 14x16 with internal frame and I'm sure I could get it done by myself but it would be a chore.   If you go with a external frame / poles I think you could go larger.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©