3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: STANDS:climbing vs. sticks  (Read 467 times)

Offline snoopdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
STANDS:climbing vs. sticks
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Those of us hunting on public land don't have the luxery of hanging treestands ahead of time or leaving them in place. I have always used climbers. I have noticed some good climbing stick/hang on systems like LONE WOLF. Are these systems a good alternative for hunters setting up in the early morning darkness for a one time use?

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: STANDS:climbing vs. sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
snoopdawg,,,I take my stand in every time I hunt just so I can set up with the wind condition. The Lone Wolf sticks are great! I wish I had them years ago. I have used them now for 3yrs and once you get a "system" figured out you will find them quick & easy to get into most any tree. Do a search for "climbing sticks" or "Lone Wolf" on this forum and you should find alot of threads to read about them.
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline snoopdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Thanks for your input FLATSTICK, I hate the sweaty effort of climbing a tree and with a climber your limited to trees with no limbs or cover. The LW sticks seem like a good alternative but I guess with every system there is a learning curve. I guess the bottom line of my question is this "stick system" better than using any climber?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Snoopdawg.  I go one better.  I have a personnal favorite.  I use three or four of the LW sticks, which in my mind ar ethe best things out there, and a Chippewa wedgelock stand, which again (In my mind) the best thing out there.  What makes it great is that when you are setting up the stand, you are actually setting up a collar or hanging device.  The stand then just slides right on in it.  AND, the stand is build so that on most trees, the stand itself straddles the tree so the is NO wiggle once it is in place.  You can buy any of three different seat heights and the floor of the stand is somewhat adjustable for pitch.

Yes, you have to develop a system, and that takes a bit of practice, but I can go up most trees really quietly if I take my time and there is no more hanging on for dear life while I wrestle with a heavy stand.

I know a lot of folks disagree, but that is the greatness of this site...I think a strap on does everything that a climber can do, plus more.  I can stick that thing in nearly any tree, can't say that with a climber.
ChuckC

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
I have never seen a tree that could be climbed with a climber that could not be climbed with steps of your choice and a hang on. On the other hand I have seen a ton of trees that could not be climbed with a climber. 4LW sticks a bag of about 6-8 screw ins steps and a Lone wolf Hang on it's tough to find a place I can't set up. Some trees are just too big for anything requiring a strap around them but once in them using screw ins the forks are small enough to hang a stand on.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
same for me 3 LW sticks and a LW hang on, no more screw in steps for me. the clinbing sticks are the best investment i think i have ever made.

Doug 77

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I like the LW sticks.  I use four to get to 20 ft.  I have a question:  How do you guys carry the xtra sticks up the tree while securing them.  I can usually place two sets on the tree before leaving the ground.  That means I have to carry two sets with me while climbing the first two.  Hope that makes sense.  Just wondering if there is a better way.

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »
I use the hang ons with a good lock.I carry the stick ladder in and out.Havent lost one yet.Knock on wood.Leon
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
KC that's the way I do it most of the time.Love my LW sticks(4) and lockon.ChuckC the LW lockon has a belt and hook hanging system as well as the normal strap system.That way you can leave the strap on the tree while taking the stnd down.When you return just hang the stand on the hook.Similar to the wedge-lok
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Is there a way to attach the sticks to a LW stand to carry them into the woods?  Last year I had the stand on my back and the sticks in my hands.  Thanks

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I have left a hang on for a day or two on public land with several cable locks. I don't do it unless it is a difficult set up because sooner or later I will get burned and find my stand and sticks gone. I like a climber for that reason. After having my second back surgery I need a very light climber so I am currently between stands, lol.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Papa:
Is there a way to attach the sticks to a LW stand to carry them into the woods?  Last year I had the stand on my back and the sticks in my hands.  Thanks
Go to the Lonewolf website and under the FAQ section there is a great video showing how the sticks and stand pack together.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Perfect timing on this thread..
Last year, I got banged up when my old Loggy Bayou climber slipped over and over on wet trees.

I vowed that I was going to get something new for this year.  I was through with climbers, my confidence was shattered.
(a guy called it a "loggy fly-you", and if you have taken the "death plunge", you know what I mean)

I bought a Lone Wolf Alpha, (hang on) and four of the sticks.

I have a month before the season opens, and I have practiced a few times with it.

Putting up the sticks, I thought "no way" figureing I was going to slip.  Nope.  Those things stick to the tree like they are part of it.
They go up quick, too.

Now, the stand..  I hung it, stepped onto it, and like the sticks, it seemed to be part of the tree itself.  No wiggle, no flex, nothing.  Totally solid.

I bought four sticks, and seem to get to 20' pretty easy.  If you spread the sticks out, you can get higher, or so I hear.  (more practice)

Also, leaning back and trusting the "lineman's belt" took a bit of getting use too, as I am use to a climber, and was using my arms way too much, and not trusting the belt.

I made some silly mistakes, like tying my harness to the tree, along with the sticks, but I'm working the bugs out now, before I do it for real in the dark.

Oh, the video on the site does indeed show the sticks being attached to the stand.  Yes, it works great.  solid and quiet.

I am going to practice more, and gain my confidence back, this looks like the right set of tools to do it with.

By the way, I paid a bit more than I needed too, for a stand, but my goodness, this is a NICELY made product.

Good luck.

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I must be the odd one out. I have Summit sticks, really kinda "mini-ladders" and they are very nice, indeed. But I find the time it takes me to put them up, pull the stand up, attach that & get everything "right" is several times what it takes me to get up the same tree with my climbers, let's say ten-fifteen minutes minimum vs. five minutes max. I also like the simplicity of my older climber, a Loc-On I use with a climbing strap + safety strap w. harness. I also have a Summit climber, but it's a bit more cumbersome so I usually grab the Loc-On. I'd also add that carrying climbing sticks + fixed stand + bow & stuff is way more, IMO, than carrying in my climber + bow & stuff. I'm talking walking through swamps & stuff, before dawn.

I use the sticks more on private land where I'm gonna put a stand up and leave it for awhile.

I will admit that my preference is probably due to about 30 years of climbing stand use. And I'm also not heavy, so have no big deal getting up quickly.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I attach the sticks to my stand using 2 strong black rubber bungie cords.Works great for me.Way better than carrying them in one hand and the bow in the other.Give it a try!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Steelhead, I do something similar.  I use the cloth coated bungees, two of them.  I would like to eventually get two that actually fit, but mine are too long so I hook it into the stand base,, go over the top of the sticks (I used to first bundle the sticks...not neccesary...) thru the stand on the far side and back.  I try to hook in very close to the sticks so it actually contacts them on three sides.   One near the top, one near the bottom.  voila !  I take my fanny pack, hook the belt, and just lay it over the top of the sticks so it hangs on.  If you want to, you can add another bungee near the top and strap on some extra clothing for the walk out there.  Leave the bungies at the base of the tree, kinda hidden.

Southern.  cool. didn't know they did that too now.   LW is a great stand too.  My buddy uses one and loves it.  

Shoot straight guys !
ChuckC

Offline snoopdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
For all recommending the LONE WOLF stick/hang on system do you recommend the larger ALPHA stand or the "tapered" ASSAULT stand?

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I tie the sticks togeather.Then I tie a strap to one end then the other.Then over my shoulder.Leon
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I use a climber almost exclusively.  Too many thieves here.   :mad:    Homemade, store bought, they steal them all.  I would much prefer the sticks and a lock on but can't afford to lose them.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
I'll be using 4 lonewolf sticks and the treesaddle this year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©