3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you think makes your bow accurate?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you think makes your bow accurate?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
What makes my bow more accurate is based upon who is holding it..... unfortuantely, that is usually someone else  :)
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Nice responses guys....but it isn't just about the archer, as katman said, there are design attributes too.  Granted, I'm not having a problem with the shorter bow, I'm loving it, but I do recognize that it takes me much more concentration to be accurate with it.  I feel like despite being designed to be short nothing really accounts for length in forgiveness and accuracy.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Love this thread, I learned a lot... Laws of physics regarding the bow plus the shooter appear to be the answer. Now I just have to find the right shooter for my bow!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
I think I could shoot a broomstick well if it had a Brackenbury or Abbott grip on it.

With me, it's all about the grip.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Of the bows ive hunted with which has been many i have learned this...for me.
  one pc longbows seem to be more accurate for me the longer they are, takedowns that are short the ones with the most mass wt in the riser seem best.I like to shoot one pc longbows so the perfect bow for me would be a long one with a very heavy riser.I plan on building one for deer season this year . A mild r/d 66 long with a diamond wood riser. We`ll see.RC

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Practice

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Tiller, timing, limb alignment to each other, horizontal stability of the limb, vertical stability of the limb, cut of sight window, If a three piece then squareness and degree of accuracy in the over all build. Weight of limbs in relationship to each other. fit of grip to the shooter. The shooter does not make a bow more or less accurate. The Bowyer does that. The shooter utilizes the inherent accuracy of each individual to the degree of ability he or she has. Another thing.

Just as all shooters are not equal, Neither are all bows equal. I have many customers ask me why my bows are more accurate than other bows. Here is what I tell them. They are only more accurate than other bows that are not built and designed as well. We may shoot one bow more accurately than another simply because we are used to shooting it and have adjusted to it, however that does not mean that another bow is not inherently more accurate if we took the time to get adjusted to it.
During the time I have built bows I have had customers say this is the most awesome bow I have ever shot.
I have also had others sell it the next day.
Then I have had others say I cannot shoot this bow real well and I got all upset but two weeks later call me up and say after giving it some time it is now my favorite bow. What happened?

Did the bow get suddenly better? Nottttttttttt
The shooter adjusted to shooting the bow and got used to the grip. Now he loves it.

When a customer sells a bow in one day he is not willing to give it a chance. The man that does just may find the best horse in the stable.

God bless, Steve

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Nice post Steve, exactly my wonderings/point.  My 64" brand X longbow IS more accurate than my 56" longbow brand Y due to it's build and specs, despite the 56"er being built to be shorter and fit my specs, as the 64" one was as well.  You can't really say all bows are inherently equally accurate if shot from a hooter shooter because until I can get a hooter shooter in a tree it's an irrelevant point.  My wonderings in this post is that there are a lot of fantastic short designs coming out that are specifically designed to be short but is there a loss in accuracy despite the design?  For me it seems so.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ulysseys:
For me it seems so.
I would speculate this is the true answer to this question. I know people who will fight both sides to the death.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned physical weight. Most bows made today can be had with your favorite grip,most are tillered,timed properly.

The length affects finger pinch and your ability to effect a clean release,but physical weight inherent in a longer bow usually makes a longer bow easier to shoot accurately.

Offline Gentle-Savage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I just went to cabelas and exchanged my Bear Archery Super Kodiak for a SuperMag 48.. The Kodiak was a 60# draw, and I found it was a little too much for me to be able to shoot as much as I wanted to in order to zero in on my form (back was so sore after shooting 150 arrows that I had to take a break for 3-4 days).  

my supermag 48 arrives in the mail today - 50# draw. I have no rational explanation for WHY i feel i will like the shorter bow (48#, forward grip centerline arrow rest) - except that my guy tells me this will be a better fit, so I'm listening to my gut (sometimes referred to the "balls" brain, or primal instinct)

if anyone has any real world experience shooting the supermag 48 I'd love to hear how it shot for you
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (Molon Labe)
Aim Small Miss Small
"Rise and Rise Again - Until Lambs Become Lions"

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
Grip and practice.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline ghoster808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
For me, if the riser has nice lines, pretty wood and was expensive, It will always be accurate. If not, I keep telling myself it's is so.  ;)  well at least till the next one comes along lol.
"Till The Wheels Fall Off"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
" ME "!!!!   :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
look, I got this friend who has been shooting all his life he has taught me a lot he buys bows off X-bay that are 20-30 yrs old for 100-150 dollars.he can kick my but all day long.( I shoot a Shaffer silvertip) assuming things are tuned.form maybe the most important.on a IBO course of 30 targets I shoot a 190-200 he will shoot a 240 plus.On the other hand I have owned my share of custom bows when I got my silver tip I saw my score jump on average 10-13-points.I really cant say*** its that one thing***. the mental aspect plays a major roll as well

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
No matter the bow, without proper repeatable form (not necessarily the same thing)and right thinking, accuracy will be difficult to achieve and near impossible to maintain.

Conversely, give the best made bow in the world with perfectly tuned arrows to an archer that has a variable anchor, torques the grip, moves the draw hand in and out from the face (from shot to shot), and any number of other process flaws, and the bow "won't shoot where he looks".

I do think some bows are an aid to the archer like some have written above. Some grips help set the bow hand correctly for each shot or end. Other things such as mass weight, length, and design features I know nothing about, may moderate imperfections in the archer's process.

I believe a very competent archer can be accurate with any bow.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Good practice, and shooting a lot, becoming familiar with the bow.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I had this question over 30 years ago. I'm  mostly a stump shooter(field marks), and hunter.  When I had a shooting position where I could shoot with perfect form I was able to shoot my various bows with comparable accuracy.  The aspect that determines my most accurate bow is the design that enables me to be out of form, or change the speed of the shot sequence with the least amount of impact on accuracy and conscious adjustment to achieve it. There was a definite difference between my bows under these circumstances. I guess this is what they call "forgiving".

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 05:32:00 AM »
I used to shoot two inch groups with my 68" 45# longbow from about 15 meters. The bow cost less than 200€ and it was very intermediate bow.
Now with a 500+€ bow I'm not even nearly as accurate.
Main thing is to shoot enough with ONE bow and not change the bow every other day  :D
My current go-to bow is much heavier, shorter, faster and the grip is much chunkier. I like it very much but my body still remembers the old one too clearly.
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS 62" 60#
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Mukkanuoli Toorum 60" 56#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
Of the bows ive hunted with which has been many i have learned this...for me.
  one pc longbows seem to be more accurate for me the longer they are, takedowns that are short the ones with the most mass wt in the riser seem best.I like to shoot one pc longbows so the perfect bow for me would be a long one with a very heavy riser.I plan on building one for deer season this year . A mild r/d 66 long with a diamond wood riser. We`ll see.RC
So true...This is why top Olympic target shooters shoot long heavy bows. I know we are mostly hunters but the question was about accuracy.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©